View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Obama's Credibility Is Melting Reply with quote

Here and abroad, Obama's partners are concluding they cannot trust him.

Quote:
The collapse of ObamaCare is the tip of the iceberg for the magical Obama presidency.

From the moment he emerged in the public eye with his 2004 speech at the Democratic Convention and through his astonishing defeat of the Clintons in 2008, Barack Obama's calling card has been credibility. He speaks, and enough of the world believes to keep his presidency afloat. Or used to.

All of a sudden, from Washington to Riyadh, Barack Obama's credibility is melting.

Amid the predictable collapse the past week of HealthCare.gov's too-complex technology, not enough notice was given to Sen. Marco Rubio's statement that the chances for success on immigration reform are about dead. Why? Because, said Sen. Rubio, there is "a lack of trust" in the president's commitments.

"This notion that they're going to get in a room and negotiate a deal with the president on immigration," Sen. Rubio said Sunday on Fox News, "is much more difficult to do" after the shutdown negotiations of the past three weeks.

Sen. Rubio said he and other reform participants, such as Idaho's Rep. Raul Labrador, are afraid that if they cut an immigration deal with the White House—say, offering a path to citizenship in return for strong enforcement of any new law—Mr. Obama will desert them by reneging on the enforcement.

When belief in the average politician's word diminishes, the political world marks him down and moves away. With the president of the United States, especially one in his second term, the costs of the credibility markdown become immeasurably greater. Ask the Saudis.

Last weekend the diplomatic world was agog at the refusal of Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah to accept a seat on the U.N. Security Council. Global disbelief gave way fast to clear understanding: The Saudis have decided that the United States is no longer a reliable partner in Middle Eastern affairs.

The Saudi king, who supported Syria's anti-Assad rebels early, before Islamic jihadists polluted the coalition, watched Mr. Obama's red line over Assad's use of chemical weapons disappear into an about-face deal with Vladimir Putin. The next time King Abdullah looked up, Mr. Obama was hanging the Saudis out to dry yet again by phoning up Iran's President Hasan Rouhani, Assad's primary banker and armorer, to chase a deal on nuclear weapons. Within days, Saudi Arabia's intelligence chief, Prince Bandar, let it be known that the Saudis intend to distance themselves from the U.S.

What is at issue here is not some sacred moral value, such as "In God We Trust." Domestic politics or the affairs of nations are not an avocation for angels. But the coin of this imperfect realm is credibility. Sydney Greenstreet's Kasper Gutman explained the terms of trade in "The Maltese Falcon": "I must tell you what I know, but you won't tell me what you know. That is hardly equitable, sir. I don't think we can do business along those lines."

Bluntly, Mr. Obama's partners are concluding that they cannot do business with him. They don't trust him. Whether it's the Saudis, the Syrian rebels, the French, the Iraqis, the unpivoted Asians or the congressional Republicans, they've all had their fill of coming up on the short end with so mercurial a U.S. president. And when that happens, the world's important business doesn't get done. It sits in a dangerous and volatile vacuum.

The next major political event in Washington is the negotiation over spending, entitlements and taxes between House budget chairman Paul Ryan and his Senate partner, Patty Murray. The bad air over this effort is the same as that Marco Rubio says is choking immigration reform: the fear that Mr. Obama will urge the process forward in public and then blow up any Ryan-Murray agreement at the 11th hour with deal-killing demands for greater tax revenue.

Then there is Mr. Obama's bond with the American people, which is diminishing with the failed rollout of the Affordable Care Act. ObamaCare is the central processing unit of the Obama presidency's belief system. Now the believers are wondering why the administration suppressed knowledge of the huge program's problems when hundreds of tech workers for the project had to know this mess would happen Oct. 1.

Rather than level with the public, the government's most senior health-care official, Kathleen Sebelius, spent days spewing ludicrous and incredible happy talk about the failure, while refusing to provide basic information about its cause.

Voters don't normally accord politicians unworldly levels of belief, but it has been Barack Obama's gift to transform mere support into victorious credulousness. Now that is crumbling, at great cost. If here and abroad, politicians, the public and the press conclude that Mr. Obama can't play it straight, his second-term accomplishments will lie only in doing business with the world's most cynical, untrustworthy partners. The American people are the ones who will end up on the short end of those deals.

Of course, there were those of us who saw what a conman he was from the get go... but we were just "racists" and it was all Bush's fault :roll:
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Boehner and the "majority" of Republicans support him. Remember that in 12 months.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, noe :o Oblabla is melting because of global warming!
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say Obama is atypical, in that he melts while the (diplomatic) climate gets colder.
Now it's time for the harvest
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merkel says relations with US 'severely shaken'.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/angela-merkel-says-america-must-2527936

Also Merkel is holding a BlackBerry Z10, with the German eagle insignia. (I was considering this phone.) Not sure if US were able to crack her phone in spite of BB or because she was using BB. Or if she switched to BB after this fiasco.

wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Merkel says relations with US 'severely shaken'.

Also Merkel is holding a BlackBerry Z10, with the German eagle insignia. (I was considering this phone.) Not sure if US were able to crack her phone in spite of BB or because she was using BB. Or if she switched to BB after this fiasco.

Opoohbah never snoops when she uses her cell phone (picture).

Seriously, what she is doing is embarrassing. She is one of the worst proponents of data retention by filthy EU snoops.
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. And until it was her phone that was (potentially) tapped, the whole NSA (and GHCQ (or whatever the correct order)) affair was considered "solved" and nothing to worry about.
This commentary sums it up quite nicely (German)
http://www.golem.de/news/imho-datenschutz-ist-privatsache-1310-102348.html

People often don't care as long as they're not involved personally. "The NSA snooped on millions of citizens!" is less of an issue for single persons than if they were told "The NSA snooped on you!", which is why the uproar that ensued after Snowden's revelations was, well, not really an uproar. But now mighty Merkel could've been targetted and all of a sudden the non-issue became an issue again and in days more was done to bring light into the whole thing than in the months before.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't call my bitch a ho!
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, will Snowden get German asylum in light of these events?
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:

I doubt it. It's bad enough as it is. Merkel had to actually DO something and take position AGAINST our ally. She won't hazard the German-American friendship any further by granting Snowden asylum (do you grant asylum, give asylum, ... asylum?).
If she does I tip my hat (figuratively, since I don't wear one).

Edit: Hm... to tip ones hat seems not to be idiomatic. You know what I mean, gesture of approval.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clad in Sky wrote:
notageek wrote:

I doubt it. It's bad enough as it is. Merkel had to actually DO something and take position AGAINST our ally. She won't hazard the German-American friendship any further by granting Snowden asylum (do you grant asylum, give asylum, ... asylum?).
If she does I tip my hat (figuratively, since I don't wear one).

Edit: Hm... to tip ones hat seems not to be idiomatic. You know what I mean, gesture of approval.

You got it right. In English, the "tip of the hat" (to tip one's/my/your hat) is to publicly acknowledge someone, and it does imply a public gesture of approval.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Obama is always the victim

Poor Barack Obama. He’s been wronged again. This time, the Obamacare health insurance program is hung up on major computer malfunctions, adding fuel to the blazing criticism that this first giant step toward universal care is a flop.

“Nobody’s madder than me,” Obama declared while trying to explain why three weeks into the enrollment period, most consumers still can’t enroll. “I think it is fair to say that no one is more frustrated by that than I am.”

Wait a minute — the president’s mad? And he’s frustrated? At whom? Himself?

Obamacare is his signature and singular accomplishment, the thing that will define his legacy. His own administration was charged with designing the website and making sure it worked. And it doesn’t, despite spending $640 million on the healthcare.gov technology.

Now, in typical government fashion, new contracts costing millions more are being awarded to fix it. So we’ve got delays, cost overruns and operational failures, and Obamacare is just getting started. And we’re supposed to believe the government can run this massively complex entitlement?

In his remarks, the president added, “There’s no excuse for the problem.” And then he went on to tick off a list of alibis, before finally settling on his well-worn favorite: The Republicans did it.

...more

Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Quote:
Obama is always the victim

Poor Barack Obama. He’s been wronged again. This time, the Obamacare health insurance program is hung up on major computer malfunctions, adding fuel to the blazing criticism that this first giant step toward universal care is a flop.

“Nobody’s madder than me,” Obama declared while trying to explain why three weeks into the enrollment period, most consumers still can’t enroll. “I think it is fair to say that no one is more frustrated by that than I am.”

Wait a minute — the president’s mad? And he’s frustrated? At whom? Himself?

Obamacare is his signature and singular accomplishment, the thing that will define his legacy. His own administration was charged with designing the website and making sure it worked. And it doesn’t, despite spending $640 million on the healthcare.gov technology.

Now, in typical government fashion, new contracts costing millions more are being awarded to fix it. So we’ve got delays, cost overruns and operational failures, and Obamacare is just getting started. And we’re supposed to believe the government can run this massively complex entitlement?

In his remarks, the president added, “There’s no excuse for the problem.” And then he went on to tick off a list of alibis, before finally settling on his well-worn favorite: The Republicans did it.

...more

Thin skinned, dishonest turd.
Darth Marley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama's natural constituency is stupid people who don't believe they are stupid.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's christ's better older brother

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi

Cold is gods way to tell us to burn more Catholics
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
He's christ's better older brother

Damnit?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wicked Collectivist Authoritarian Populist Demagogue of the West
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aopdD9Cu-So
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24694418

Will Merkel stop texting after the US spying claims?

Quote:
Texting is frowned upon in the Bundestag - but not if you're the chancellor of Germany.
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously?

A head of state does not have secure tech?

Political operatives bugged Newt almost 17 years ago.

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1997/01/13/tape/index.shtml

Recently journalists bugged who knows how many.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21382250
http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/19/world/europe/hacking-time-line/

So?
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama 'not told of Merkel phone bugging'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24698142
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Obama 'not told of Merkel phone bugging'

Of course not. He's always innocent. (By the way, click me)

He had no idea that Obamacare was a complete disaster (even though not a single republican voted for that bill and warned him).

He had no idea that using the IRS against anyone showing fidelity to the constitution was happening (even though it was his personal appointees doing it)

He had no idea that the Benghazi attack was happening (even though his administration ordered a "stand down" to the military in the region)

He had no idea that massive voter fraud was happening to his favor (Even though it was brought to the attention of his AG, who ignored it)

He had no idea that his stimulus failed (Even though every economic indicator showed how damaging and pointless it was)

He had no idea that he broke every single promise which he uttered to get in to office as a total unqualified newbie politician.

He's a piece of shit. Get used to that concept, the world has been melting ever since he got into office.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But he personally took out bin Laden.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Related
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

if you want to take that stance then Obama wasn't responsible for 9/11 and thus America executed an innocent man :wink:
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
if you want to take that stance then Obama wasn't responsible for 9/11 and thus America executed an innocent man :wink:
Quoted for posterity.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: