Castle story closes w/o error message on world load
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Castle story closes w/o error message on world load Reply with quote

I tried installing Castle Story from Steam. The game starts fine, but as soon as I pick the sandbox world to play and the "Load" button, it immediately closes.

CLI says, when launching game
Code:
Game update: AppID 227860 "Castle Story", ProcID 3757, IP 0.0.0.0:0
Found path: ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Castle Story/Castle Story Prototype
Mono path[0] = '~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Castle Story/Castle Story Prototype_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Castle Story/Castle Story Prototype_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Castle Story/Castle Story Prototype_Data/Mono/etc'
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(20131008180438_client)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(1.0_client)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(1.0_client)
[1024/155440:WARNING:proxy_service.cc(958)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation

and when pressing load
Code:
Game removed: AppID 227860 "Castle Story", ProcID 3757

which doesn't seem helpful at all to me.

Since the game works just fine under Ubuntu, I'm guessing a dependency is missing, but without an error message, it's hard to tell.

Anyone worked this out or has suggestions for how to do so?

I compared the mono version between the Ubuntu and the Gentoo install, and Ubuntu has 2.10.8.1, Gentoo 2.10.9, so that doesn't appear to be it.

The problem could be generic to Unity 3d I guess, which might make it easier to figure out what needs to be done, but currently that doesn't help me either.
anyc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can start the game manually with "LD_DEBUG=libs ./my_app". Then the linker shows some extra information. Sometimes it shows something useful.
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyc wrote:
You can start the game manually with "LD_DEBUG=libs ./my_app". Then the linker shows some extra information. Sometimes it shows something useful.

That's really useful, I didn't know, thanks! :)

Unfortunately, all it added was a SIGABRT.
Code:
Mono config path = '~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Castle Story/Castle Story Prototype_Data/Mono/etc'
Avbruten (SIGABRT)
anyc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, it should show more information as Mono itself loads tons of additional libraries, I assume. It's more a problem to find the interesting information in the enormous output. ;) Maybe you have to start steam and then start the game with this env. variable set from a terminal yourself.

I vaguely remember an issue with mono before. I think, it was necessary to install a 32bit libexif. It wasn't required for the game itself but a mandatory requirement for one of the image libraries. Maybe this helps?
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This appears to have been a bug, as it got fixed on it's own. I never did anymore with it, but the game now starts. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: