View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: El Classico this Saturday! Reply with quote

I don't know if people from countries can really understand the passion and hate that comes out in a derby like El Classico. It is one of the great ones like Manchester Utd vs Liverpool, Roma vs Lazio and Boca Juniors vs River Plate. Anyway it always boils over with a few red cards, some goals (usually lots of them), fighting between the players, staff spitting at each other, pigs heads thrown on the pitch and bottles of whisky thrown at someone who dares to take a throw in or corner

Anyway it's on 17:00 UK, that's 18:00 CET, 11:00 EST.

Even if you don't watch footie it's probably worth switching over to it or I can show you an *ahem* pub where you can find it on :wink:

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I want to see a stadium full of people acting like cucumber monkeys? :lol:
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Why do I want to see a stadium full of people acting like cucumber monkeys? :lol:
This will be different, they'll be acting like animals.

Plus it will be a chance to see Neymar and Gareth Bale play against each other. That's a combined £140 million pounds ($226 million) worth of talent sold in the last transfer window.

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll watch it if you watch the World Series tonight (it's on FOX).
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
deal. Which countries are in it?

Anything to take my mind off this incredibly long and complex legal case I'm writing up for wikipedia:
Quote:
The Meca-Medina ruling – Incompatibility with the Community rules on competition and freedom to provide services

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_World_Series
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
deal. Which countries are in it?

The ones that won the war! You should probably not cheer for Boston; you know what they do to tea there.

Juniper wrote:
I fail to see the relevance.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's SEVEN games?

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of 7.

Red Sox beat the Tigers for the division title in 6 games (of 7). The Cardinals beat the Dodgers in 6 games (of 7) for their division title. But that's just during the playoffs. I don't think they do more than 3 games (or is it 5?) during the regular season. Sometimes they'll do two in one day (the Double Header). The regular season consists of more than 100 games, so they've got to squeeze them in some way :)

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Best of 7.

Red Sox beat the Tigers for the division title in 6 games (of 7). The Cardinals beat the Dodgers in 6 games (of 7) for their division title. But that's just during the playoffs. I don't think they do more than 3 games (or is it 5?) during the regular season. Sometimes they'll do two in one day (the Double Header). The regular season consists of more than 100 games, so they've got to squeeze them in some way :)
bloody hell! They must be playing all year! The premier league has 38 games and that takes 3/4 of a year.

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan, so I didn't know any of these details. The two leagues are the "divisions" I was referring to earlier.
MLB wrote:
The Major League Baseball season consists of 2430 games played for each of the two leagues, over approximately 180 days, with 162 games played per team. The season typically runs from early April to late September, followed by the postseason in October. The postseason (playoffs) can add up to 20 more games for a given team.

The season begins with the official Opening Day and runs 26 weeks through the last Sunday of September or first Sunday of October. One or more International Opener games may be scheduled outside the United States and Canada before the official Opening Day.[1] Not every team plays every day, but there are daily games except during the All-Star Game break. Individual teams might not play on some Mondays and/or Thursdays.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daily games? Surely that must make it less special? The excitement is looking towards a certain weekend when something is happening, no?

Anyway, I see David Ortiz played well. They have it on the BBC Website. Usually if I was looking at that I would have thought that the Red Sox would have won it completely

energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why should I get excited about some spanish teams?

why should I get excited about the stupiest transfer ever (Bale)?

Seriously, that guy was maybe worth 10m. Max. And they paid what for him? With all their debts?

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:

Seriously, that guy was maybe worth 10m. Max. And they paid what for him? With all their debts?
It's usually a good game and plenty of controversy!

Bale is a bit special. He's like Ronaldo at the same age. Beats defenders easily and scores some good goals.

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
pjp wrote:
Best of 7.

bloody hell! They must be playing all year! The premier league has 38 games and that takes 3/4 of a year.

Bottom Line: A team that goes all the way to the Series plays 181 games in a little over six months.

A team plays 162 games in the regular season, over roughly six months). There's a post-season playoff of 19 games, culminating in the seven-game "World Series" (which is the final two-team battle). The seven games are played over the course of about a week (nine days in this case, assuming they play all seven).
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
Daily games? Surely that must make it less special? The excitement is looking towards a certain weekend when something is happening, no?
Less special? You need to watch a few games. It's baseball, not something special. :D I think the number of games is somewhat justified given how little happens. They're paid millions, so they better damn well do something for it.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
Less special? You need to watch a few games. It's baseball, not something special. :D I think the number of games is somewhat justified given how little happens. They're paid millions, so they better damn well do something for it.
that is so different to how things are here I can't quite get my heads around it

energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

Bale is a bit special. He's like Ronaldo at the same age. Beats defenders easily and scores some good goals.

a) which Ronaldo

b) that is why it was easy for German teams to deal with Ronaldo every single time.

So I am not sold. Why did they pay so much for Bale?

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

a) which Ronaldo
the one that's not fat

energyman76b wrote:
b) that is why it was easy for German teams to deal with Ronaldo every single time.
Because they saw how the English figured it out and probably improved on it.

energyman76b wrote:
Why did they pay so much for Bale?
They needed a marquee signing and someone who was going to be the next world beater. Say what you like about him, the truth is he's only just 24, incredibly fast, great at dribbling, sores goals and is great at free kicks. Also, he already has 4 years of UEFA Cup and Champions League experience and has been playing in the hardest league in the world since he was 16.

It'll be interesting to see who makes the bigger impact at their respective clubs: Neymar or Bale. Both have undisputed leaders in their teams (Messi and Ronaldo) who currently like to operate in Neymar's and Bale's favourite positions (the false No9 and the left wing respectively).

I was reading that Karim Benzema is playing so badly [when has he ever played well for Madrid?] that Ancelotti is probably going to play Ronaldo as a striker and Bale on the left wing

energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

a) which Ronaldo
the one that's not fat

energyman76b wrote:
Because they saw how the English figured it out and probably improved on it.

energyman76b wrote:
Why did they pay so much for Bale?
They needed a marquee signing and someone who was going to be the next world beater. Say what you like about him, the truth is he's only just 24, incredibly fast, great at dribbling, sores goals and is great at free kicks. Also, he already has 4 years of UEFA Cup and Champions League experience and has been playing in the hardest league in the world since he was 16.

It'll be interesting to see who makes the bigger impact at their respective clubs: Neymar or Bale. Both have undisputed leaders in their teams (Messi and Ronaldo) who currently like to operate in Neymar's and Bale's favourite positions (the false No9 and the left wing respectively).

I was reading that Karim Benzema is playing so badly [when has he ever played well for Madrid?] that Ancelotti is probably going to play Ronaldo as a striker and Bale on the left wing

and Real is already worse than they were without Bale and with Özil. Go figure.

Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
and Real is already worse than they were without Bale and with Özil. Go figure.
Arsenal are looking so impressive this season. Özil and Ramsay are just brilliant together for some reason. In fact I'd say Özil is better at Arsenal because of the freedom and he doesn't have to play second fiddle to Ronaldo. It looks as if Wenger has just said "just do what you want" because he's all over the pitch!

Last edited by Butts McCokey on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this and thought everyone should look at it. They stopped the G8 summit to watch the penalty shootout in the 2012 Champions League final

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:G8_leaders_watching_football.jpg

Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
In fact I'd say Özil is better at Arsenal because of the freedom and he doesn't have to play second fiddle to Ronaldo.

Plus I prefer the fact that he's now playing in a team that is, you know, playing as a team. :roll:
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Willy wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
In fact I'd say Özil is better at Arsenal because of the freedom and he doesn't have to play second fiddle to Ronaldo.

Plus I prefer the fact that he's now playing in a team that is, you know, playing as a team. :roll:
Although I loathe Arsenal they are brilliant to watch. They're like a mixture of Barcelona and Man Utd. Barcelona's tiki-taka passing and Man Utd's direct, fast paced attacking.

The Guardian has done an interview with Cesc Fábregas and he talks about Özil and the difference between the Spanish and English leagues: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/24/cesc-fabregas-arsenal-barcelona

Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone wants to watch: http://www.coolsport.tv/stream30.html

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: