View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Jon Stewart shits all over Democrats' healthcare.gov debacle Reply with quote

Quote:
How Jon Stewart became President Obama’s biggest problem

President Obama’s biggest problem when it comes to selling the American public on the so-far rocky rollout of his health-care law isn’t John Boehner or Mitch McConnell or even Ted Cruz. It’s Jon Stewart.

Stewart, the host of the wildly popular “Daily Show” on Comedy Central, has emerged as a harsh critic of healthcare.gov and the Obama Administration’s inability to fix it.

Stewart dedicated the entire first 10 minutes of his show — three full segments — on Monday to slashing hits on the Web site and the president’s handling of the problems. He compared Obama to “Gil”, the hapless salesman from “The Simpsons”, showed “Daily Show” correspondent John Oliver stuck in a computer after trying to sign up for Obamacare and expressed amazement that even the calculator on the healthcare.gov Web site doesn’t work. (And, remember, Stewart was heavily critical of Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius during an appearance on his show earlier this month.)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/10/22/how-jon-stewart-became-president-obamas-biggest-problem/

The first of the segments is included at the link.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stage 2 in Kübler-Ross model. :lol:
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol: :lol:
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesn't sound so bad :lol:

how come you guys can't get this right? When we moved to the UK, we were able to book a doctors appointment through the NHS BEFORE MOVING HERE. Yes, before we immigrated while still in the US, we called up a clinic, made an appointment and said we will be moving there so we will have an NHS number when we arrive.

DONE.
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:

how come you guys can't get this right? When we moved to the UK, we were able to book a doctors appointment through the NHS BEFORE MOVING HERE. Yes, before we immigrated while still in the US, we called up a clinic, made an appointment and said we will be moving there so we will have an NHS number when we arrive.

DONE.

"Test in production", make sense now?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
DONE.
You mean like we used to have! It was wonderful.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:

Because Democrats could fuck up a wet dream.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet again, Obama is claiming, "I had no knowledge of this..."
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/23/politics/obamacare-sebelius-interview/
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
juniper wrote:
DONE.

juniper will never be able to get his head around that.

"But, but, it wasn't mommy government providing! How can that be?"
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Obama raising money off HealthCare.gov problems

The troubled HealthCare.gov website may be having problems pulling in applicants for ObamaCare, but that's not stopping President Obama's political arm from pulling in cash off the dysfunctional site.

Through his political group Organizing for Action, Obama sent a videotaped message to supporters in an email Tuesday evening.

In the video, the president said "the website has not worked as smoothly as it was supposed to," but "we're gonna get it fixed." As he's said before, the president added: "The Affordable Care Act is much more than a website."

The email, though, also appealed for donations, saying "the other side will spend millions to maintain the status quo."

Supporters who click past Obama's video message are then taken to a donation page that says: "The other side has already spent a whopping $400 million in anti-Obamacare TV ads. We don't have to beat that, but we need to have the resources to fight back."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/10/23/obama-raising-money-off-healthcaregov-problems/
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
pjp wrote:
juniper wrote:
DONE.

when did you have that?

Keep in mind that I am one of the few people here who have dealt with canadian healthcare, US and the NHS.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And apparently you didn't learn anything from the experience. Here, you don't have to book a doctor's appointment "through" anybody, and when I traveled overseas for work, my company just automatically covered me.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
And apparently you didn't learn anything from the experience. Here, you don't have to book a doctor's appointment "through" anybody, and when I traveled overseas for work, my company just automatically covered me.
If I want a GP appointment here I just ring the surgery and book an appointment. If I just call in I can usually get to see a doctor that day if I am prepared to wait. I don't have to book "through" anybody, unless you mean the receptionist.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
If I want a GP appointment here I just ring the surgery and book an appointment. If I just call in I can usually get to see a doctor that day if I am prepared to wait. I don't have to book "through" anybody, unless you mean the receptionist.

He's the one who said he had to book "through" NIH. Why are you talking to me about it?

In other words, he had to get the government's permission before he could make a doctor's appointment.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

He's the one who said he had to book "through" NIH. Why are you talking to me about it?

In other words, he had to get the government's permission before he could make a doctor's appointment.
I don't have to do that.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's nice.
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Old School wrote:
pjp wrote:
juniper wrote:
DONE.

when did you have that?

Keep in mind that I am one of the few people here who have dealt with canadian healthcare, US and the NHS.

I've not dealt with NHS, but I used to spend summers in Canada and any sustained injury was a nightmare to deal with compared with here. YMMV, I guess.

Juniper wrote:
I fail to see the relevance.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could Professor Obama, El Presidente Tuvok, with all his executive leadership experience and Messiah-like wisdom, allow this Mongolian clusterfuck of a three-ring circus to happen to his "signature initiative"?
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
How could Professor Obama, El Presidente Tuvok, with all his executive leadership experience and Messiah-like wisdom, allow this Mongolian clusterfuck of a three-ring circus to happen to his "signature initiative"?

Yeah! It's umpossible! Obama is Jesus Reloaded, our Lord and Saviour!
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

I don't have to do that.
Neither do I.

Clearly a dose of LOL USA indicated. Any second opinion?
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

My troubles in the US stemmed from my wife's job ending and wanting to switch her to my policy. This was an absolute bureaucratic nightmare. Furthermore, she was pregnant at the time and we needed scans done. We really got to see what a nightmare losing your job is and how expensive Cobra is. It was a nightmare even given that we had my insurance in principle agreeing to insure her. it just took absolutely forever.

I know you don't book anything through anybody.

all that said, my experience in the US, Canada and UK makes me rank Boston + excellent plan as the best of the three. If I had cancer, that's the position I would want to be in.

The trouble is Boston + excellent plan isn't representative. How do I know? well, it isn't a stretch. Boston has some of the best hospitals in the world with some of the best medical schools. Furthermore, when I told my fellow americans and co-workers (most of whom where not from Boston) that I was really impressed with our plan, they all said that it was by far and away the best plan that they had ever had too.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

What I meant by that was that I was able to phone a GP in the city we were moving to, explain that we will be living there, ask them to recommend a scanning place, and book a scan for the day after we arrived. We were told to go to the nearest doctor to where we were staying, register, see him and go straight to the scan. We did that and all was good. No charge, no nothing. All was organized from North America with about three phone calls. It was a huge contrast to living in the US and trying to get care while waiting for my insurer to finally cover my wife.

Last edited by juniper on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it logical to attempt a comparison based on two so divergent scenarios?
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Is it logical to attempt a comparison based on two so divergent scenarios?

What divergent scenarios? we were trying to get the same thing done in two different countries. in the case of the US, we had to wait for my insurer to cover my wife. We were in the country, we had visa requirements that stated we MUST have healthcare, we had an insurer who said they were going to cover her and it took 6 weeks to get it all done.

It took no time in the UK.

But surely you know this is the case. Whatever you can say about the US and UK medical systems, the end user bureaucracy is incomparable (of course, that's not what makes a good medical system. But it certainly adds to costs). The UK is much much better than Canada in this respect too. It's basically non-existent here. You show up, give them an address, and away you go. When you move cities it is just as simple. You walk to the doctor. You say I live over there. they ask for you last GP's name so they can request your medical records. That's it. If I go to Scotland and need medical care, I just go to a doctor's office or hospital. No insurer to call.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: