Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Spider outbreak closes a school, in Britain.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Spider outbreak closes a school, in Britain. Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-24623652
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody immigrants
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pommy poofters.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
Pommy poofters.

Any spider I see gets the order of the boot. Several times.

Father got bitten once, had a bad reaction - always used to scoop spiders up and deposit outside, after that he wasn't so lenient
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:
Pommy poofters.

Any spider I see gets the order of the boot. Several times.

Father got bitten once, had a bad reaction - always used to scoop spiders up and deposit outside, after that he wasn't so lenient
I do that because they eat the cockroaches. Since the cockroaches here are rat sized this is a good thing. I don't like spiders, but I hate cockies more, they smell and get into everything.

This is awesome.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most spiders don't bite people unless you're crushing them (i.e., you lie down on one or put on your clothes or shoes with one in there). Most houses have thousands of spiders in them, with people never being bitten (or not even noticing it if they are). Spiders eat other bugs that are worse to have around in numbers. They are a normal part of our biosphere.

Spiders bites, with a few rare exceptions, are not dangerous to most people (some do have allergic reactions, as with bees, which can be dangerous). A mild allergic reaction (e.g. hives) can be treated with an over-the-counter antihistamine. Major swelling or difficulty breathing and you probably should go to the emergency room just to be safe.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I wouldn't touch most spiders I do not mind having a couple of them in my flat.

If they get cozy, they are sent outside. An arrangement that works pretty well. They eat all those annoying flies coming in from the stables next door, I don't eat all those annoying flies. Win-Win

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Most spiders don't bite people unless you're crushing them (i.e., you lie down on one or put on your clothes or shoes with one in there). Most houses have thousands of spiders in them, with people never being bitten (or not even noticing it if they are). Spiders eat other bugs that are worse to have around in numbers. They are a normal part of our biosphere.

Spiders bites, with a few rare exceptions, are not dangerous to most people (some do have allergic reactions, as with bees, which can be dangerous). A mild allergic reaction (e.g. hives) can be treated with an over-the-counter antihistamine. Major swelling or difficulty breathing and you probably should go to the emergency room just to be safe.
Yeah. Funnel web spider and redback spider are both extremely common here so if you get bitten you will need emergency treatment. Bites themselves are not common, but the bites that do occur here are almost always fairly serious.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, most spider bites go un-noticed. Ever notice an itchy spot or what looks like an insect bite you can't explain? It may well have been a spider. I pay about as much attention to them as I do to mosquitoes and wasps.

Australia is one of the areas that has a higher than average number of dangerous ones, though. One must apply the appropriate degree of common sense, based on where one is.

I was trying to do my part to quell the panick currently rippling across the pussified UK, where the most dangerous thing people might encounter is a bee, or maybe a shrew.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Actually, most spider bites go un-noticed. Ever notice an itchy spot or what looks like an insect bite you can't explain? It may well have been a spider. I pay about as much attention to them as I do to mosquitoes and wasps.

Australia is one of the areas that has a higher than average number of dangerous ones, though. One must apply the appropriate degree of common sense, based on where one is.

I was trying to do my part to quell the panick currently rippling across the pussified UK, where the most dangerous thing people might encounter is a bee, or maybe a shrew.
Or a badger.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

Or a badger.

:lol: Pussified.

I thought they had killed them off to protect their cattle.

This is the best clip on badgers ever.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always the skinny small guy that fights hard.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Always the skinny small guy that fights hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTQTGXQDuqQ
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or this derivative silliness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EllYgcWmcAY
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

my feeling on spiders is that if you aren't in australia they are a good thing to have around. eats other nasty things. they must shit too, but that's cool. my wife hates them, but i refuse to remove them from the house for the reasons stated.

Apparently this spider likes warm dark places. what the hell is it doing in the UK?
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with Australia is that everything, EVERYTHING is bloody poisonous. Even the trees

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

Here in California we have something called the Brown Recluse. It's a...special...class of Wolf Spider.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like sending prisoners to a place where everything is poisonous would be a crime against humanity. The UN and the Hague must get involved for punishment and reparations.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

Here in California we have something called the Brown Recluse. It's a...special...class of Wolf Spider.
And the bad thing about those is they look like average spiders in size, so you have to get close to identify them. Since they aren't that easy to identify, I just kill anything in their size range, allowing for dwarfism and gigantism.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

Brown Recluse mostly live in the central southern states (between Rockies and Appalachians, and from about Indiana down to the South), although I suspect their range has been expanding with climate change.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown Recluse sounds like that nice, quiet Iraqi next door who is building a dirty bomb in his basement.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol: :lol:
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Seems like sending prisoners to a place where everything is poisonous would be a crime against humanity. The UN and the Hague must get involved for punishment and reparations.
:lol: They haven't done too badly though. With a bit of help from us they're the world's 12th-largest economy, the world's fifth-highest per capita income, the second-highest on the human development index, 10th in economic freedom, 6th in life expectancy, 1st in education and 9th in corruption.

In fact I think they are above the US and UK in everything but per capita income 8O

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of poisonous shit in all tropical environments.

On Star Trek: Voyager, New Zealand is a Federation penal colony. :lol:

Somebody needs to recruit a new Kiwi member. Without sugar around we can't pick on them.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: