Considering installing Calculate on a second machine
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinuxNerd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Considering installing Calculate on a second machine Reply with quote

Hiya! I've looked into both Calculate and Sabayon as a way to get into Gentoo on a second machine maybe, currently running Archbang on the hardware I got now, which is pretty sweet, actually, and just curious, should I just go for straight Gentoo should I ever end up getting into Gentoo-based distros, or go the quick and painless route and set up Calculate or Sabayon?

And aiming more towards Calculate than Sabayon because it's closer to straight Gentoo than Sabayon is.

Just a possible OS consideration for a second machine is all.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not used either of those, so I can't comment on them.

However, if you want to try Gentoo, then I'd just try Gentoo. Installation isn't that complicated, it just takes some time and patience (to read the install guide and not try and skip ahead).

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go straight Gentoo. The installation process teaches you important things, some of which are useful in maintaining your machine. Also, the installation process allows you to customize to your needs as you are installing.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this guy is the architect of that navy vessels choice of "flavors" of linux.
LinuxNerd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Go straight Gentoo. The installation process teaches you important things, some of which are useful in maintaining your machine. Also, the installation process allows you to customize to your needs as you are installing.

Yet on the other side of the coin, it can take days to set up, meanwhile Calculate or Sabayon takes a few minutes, I think. Meanwhile Arch can take an hour or two, and Archbang or Manjaro, once again, a few minutes.

As for Archbang and Calculate, you'd still get a fully functional Arch or Gentoo install, but it doesn't take forever to set up.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only takes "days" the first few times, when you don't know what you're doing (unless you're installing to a Pentium II or something). Whether you use Sabayon or Calculate or what-have you, if you're using a source-based distribution, at some point you're going to want to rebuild all your packages according to your own configuration, and that takes a certain amount of time, whether be on the front end or later.

If you want something you can rapidly deploy, and you're only concerned about one or two machines (not building your own distribution for a larger number of machines), then maybe Gentoo isn't right for you.
LinuxNerd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, didn't think about the rebuilding part. Could try a straight Gentoo install should I get a second machine to do it on, and should I gain the time required for it. Would be kinda cool to run both a binary-based distro (Arch/Archbang), and a source-based distro (Gentoo/Calculate) though.

And I did come off Ubuntu and Fedora into an Arch distro so there's that as well, and I also have a Debian Sid VM set up to mess with sometimes too, so looking into other distros to mess with as well, but prefer Arch/Archbang or Sid for binary-based, as both are rolling, and Arch has the newest packages, meanwhile Sid has fairly recent packages, and both Pacman and APT are really nice package managers, and I'm also interested in Gentoo/Calculate as well, mainly for wanting to mess with source-based at least a little bit.

And I'd prefer the second machine be a Nehalem i3 as the least.
_______0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calculate, an interesting distro.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: