87%  [ 7 ]
No
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: The [topic]/[post]/[bug] Tags and proper Use Reply with quote

:x [rant]It upsets me to read so many posts with fully qualified URL's for something our Forums System can take care of[/rant]
Example: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=4
Proper: Preparing the Disks

Not only should we properly clean up URL's but this also applies to Forum Topics, Posts, and Bugs.

The Topic Button above your post creation box Creates a fully qualified topic path and all you need to supply is the topic number, and the Text between the tag will become the clickable text. If you've ever Topic Tag: Reported a Post, the topic tag is generated when the report button is pressed. As an Example, I used the Topic tag to create what you just clicked on :D

The Post Button above your post creation box behaves the same way as the topic button except that it will point to a particular post in a Topic. Post Tag: The Third Post in Topic Tag: I don't understand partitioning. Post Tags should only be used to point to the exact user you are referring to in another topic. Instead of saying go to topic <Use Topic Button> and scroll down to the 6th post... You get the idea :idea:

The Bug Button above your post creation box behaves the same way as the others discussed, and requires the bug number from URL Tag: Gentoo Bugzilla. Example:
Bug Tag: Improve wording for USE dependencies
Registerd Linux User #363735
Adopt a Post | Strip Comments| Emerge Wrapper
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer: Always. One of my principal goals is to create understandable, usable content.

I'll add to your rant list, though: expiring pastebins. The best way to post snippets of logs, .conf files, etc., is in line inside [code] tags. If the content is too large to conveniently post in line, a pastebin is appropriate but any helpers should absolutely post a snippet in line if they find an issue. Otherwise, in just a matter of days, part of the relevant troubleshooting information is irretrievably lost and the value of the thread to posterity is diminished.

That and, of course, excessive use of color. ;)

- John
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use them, though it would be nice if they were made a bit more fancy as an incentive, e.g. by auto-adding a html title attribute.
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
I use them, though it would be nice if they were made a bit more fancy as an incentive, e.g. by auto-adding a html title attribute.

That may or may not be doable, as it would require a page fetch, and read, to determine the title. I was thinking more along the li,es of a popup box with a Text Box...
Registerd Linux User #363735
Adopt a Post | Strip Comments| Emerge Wrapper
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: