strange memory allocation issues / overcommit
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tv007
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: strange memory allocation issues / overcommit Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've done a minor system update two days ago, and since then I struggle with strange "cannot allocate memory" issues. It seems to be tightly related to overcommit but I fail to understand why/how.

I do have a machine with 8GB of RAM, and 4GB of swap that is virtually never used (I've never seen anything being written to it).

Since a minor "emerge -uD world" two days ago, I regularly run into issues with allocating memory. For example I've been unable to emerge some java packages, because javac failed with "Cannot allocate memory". At first I thought it's because of Java being greedy, but then this started to affect other apps. For example after executing "emerge -uD world" and locking the screen, I'm unable to log-in again because the kdm process mysteriously crashes.

After a lot of poking, I've found out that disabling overcommit (i.e. setting /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory to 0) the problems suddenly go away. I thought I understand how overcommit works, so either I was wrong or something changed recently. My /etc/sysctl.conf looks like this:

Code:
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
kernel.shmmax = 8589934592
kernel.shmall = 2097152
vm.swappiness = 20
vm.overcommit_memory = 2
vm.overcommit_ratio = 75
vm.dirty_background_ratio = 5
vm.dirty_ratio = 10

Which should give me ~10GB memory for allocations (swap + 0.75 * RAM). However most of the time 'free -m" shows this:

Code:
# free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          7821       2996       4825          0        207       1717
-/+ buffers/cache:       1071       6750
Swap:         4095          0       4095

So there's ~4GB of free RAM, but if I run emerge (consuming a very small amount of RAM) and lock the screen, the kdm will crash on log-in. If I set overcommit_memory to 0, it immediately starts working again.

So, what am I missing?

BTW I'm running kernel 3.11.2 with x86_64 (but I've seen the same issues on 3.10.4 right after the upgrade):

Code:
Linux rimmer 3.11.2-gentoo #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Oct 10 22:41:11 CEST 2013 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rare...

Did you try rkhunter from a livecd?

The first thing I'd do is to use any live media to download a new kernel from kernel.org, configure and compile it, then install and boot that. Since you have already sorted out the java memory management system, and apps outside that are also giving you trouble, then the only thing that's left is kernel memory management. And, obviating nasty bugs that shouldn't ever happen, the only thing that could cause that is a buggy or malicious kernel module. I guess...
tv007
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give rkhunter a try, however I'm really wondering how effective it can be on a system with so many possible variations thanks to USE flags and compiler optimizations. I'd guess a misconfiguration is much more likely.
tv007
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done some more investigation today, and it seems all this is strongly connected to locking the screen in KDE.

The important metrics here are "CommitLimit" and "Commited_AS" in /proc/meminfo - which shows what is the current amount of memory available for overcommit, and already committed memory. Once "CommitLimit < Commited_AS" it's game over (with overcommit_memory=2). With overcommit_ratio=75 the the CommitLimit is 10201408 kB (i.e. 10GB). Now let's see Committed_AS:

without X

Code:
Committed_AS:     181972 kB

after starting xdm (i.e. a login screen)

Code:
Committed_AS:     292848 kB

after logging in

Code:
Committed_AS:    5178620 kB

Well, obviously a huge jump, for some reason.

running "emerge -uD world -pv" (while still being logged in)

Code:
Committed_AS:    5568848 kB

small increase, nothing terrible

after locking the screen

Code:
Committed_AS:    7775460 kB

and after logging-in again

Code:
Committed_AS:    5702276 kB

So, the amount of memory committed to KDE is pretty huge, for some reason (~5GB). However the really strange thing is that locking the screen increases the amount by 2.5GB. That's something I don't understand.

Anyway, I originally used overcommit_ratio=50, so the CommitLimit was only 8GB. That's pretty close to the 7.7GB. Imagine a few more applications started (Firefox, ...) and things start crashing.

The +2.5GB because also explain why I have missed this at first - when tracking the memory from KDE everything seemed just fine. The only reason I noticed this is by looking at memory from the console, after the KDE login crashed.
tv007
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems the KDE hunch was correct. I tried to remove the .kde4 folder (with various KDE settings) and restarted the xdm. And now the numbers look like this:

Code:
CommitLimit:    10201408 kB
Committed_AS:    1956924 kB

which is way lower than before. And it does not change if I lock the screen.

So I assume some change in one of the recent KDE versions started to interact with the data in .kde4 a bit differently, which resulted in unexpected behavior of some components - not crashing, but requesting much more memory.

Not sure if it's worth further analysis (what exactly went wrong / how to prevent it from happening again) or how to do that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: