View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Digital SLR Cameras - Own One? Reply with quote

I just purchased my first today. I got a used Panasonic Lumix GH2 with a lens kit ($630), waiting for it to ship.

Anyone else own a DSLR camera? Have any tips for a newbie to the field?
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not yet, planning to get a Pentax K30

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old Nikon. Never really used it much. It finally developed a CCD problem, and I doubt I'll replace it.

The main problem I had (other than dedicating time) was dealing with the volume of photos you can take. With film, there's a cost, so most hobbyists are going to be a bit selective.

If you're just learning how to take photos, then you may want to set up timelines for when you delete old files. Let's say you take 100 photos, many duplicates of different techniques, etc. If you don't go through them, you're going to "lose" whatever it was you were trying to do, and they'll just be photos siting around.

You may also want to check out a forum. I used to read dpreview. Looks like the GH2 would be part of the Micro Four Thirds Talk forum.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I have an old Nikon. Never really used it much. It finally developed a CCD problem, and I doubt I'll replace it.

The main problem I had (other than dedicating time) was dealing with the volume of photos you can take. With film, there's a cost, so most hobbyists are going to be a bit selective.

If you're just learning how to take photos, then you may want to set up timelines for when you delete old files. Let's say you take 100 photos, many duplicates of different techniques, etc. If you don't go through them, you're going to "lose" whatever it was you were trying to do, and they'll just be photos siting around.

You may also want to check out a forum. I used to read dpreview. Looks like the GH2 would be part of the Micro Four Thirds Talk forum.

I'm mainly going to be using it for video, although hi-res photos would be a major plus. I've worked with a guy who shot same fairly good video and I got a taste for it. Along with trying to re-start my webisode series again is the reason I made the dive.

One of videos that this guy shot.... I've GOT to get posted on my site so you guys can watch it. It's beyond corny.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew DSLRs could take some video, but I didn't realize they'd advanced far enough to be used as video cameras. Cool.

The web was lacking corny videos, so great news! :P

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
eccerr0r
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planning to get one too, but the cost/expected pictures taken ratio is fairly unappealing to me unfortunately, but having one handy has value. I do have other cameras, and several of them - but they're all fairly ancient (main ones are 5Mpx camera phone (awful but convenient), and two point&shoot 2M&3M pixel cameras.)

I do wonder whether or not I should focus (pun intended) on getting a mirrorless unit. But I expect it to be cheaper without a mirror. The smaller mirrorless cameras should be easier to make than ones with a mechanical mirror and prism.

Most of what I've been hearing is getting unit with large sensors. I'm not sure what this implies other than cost as larger pieces of silicon tend to be more expensive, or whether this is really needed or not.
erm67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rawtherapee.com/

great program for digital photos, even if I am using only a puny dmc fz62 .....
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Canon 350d with a 17-40L lens.

The 'L' is what makes the difference.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I knew DSLRs could take some video, but I didn't realize they'd advanced far enough to be used as video cameras. Cool.

See: this. The picture at the top shows a Canon DSLR rig fully set up. The latest spate of grade z horror movies are probably filmed on something like that, perhaps without any stabilising gear (hence the spastic cameraman syndrome of "found footage" pictures).
NiHaoMike
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Olympus E510. Works great, but lack of video recording is a big limitation. I plan to upgrade to something with 4K recording once something affordable becomes available.
GTX 970 4GB
120mm Delta fan with Cindy Wu sensorless DSP drive
900W Lainey Schmidt digital power system
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD (/)
2x 1TB HDD RAID 0 (/bulk)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
pjp wrote:

See: this. The picture at the top shows a Canon DSLR rig fully set up. The latest spate of grade z horror movies are probably filmed on something like that, perhaps without any stabilising gear (hence the spastic cameraman syndrome of "found footage" pictures).
Impressive. The tech, not the fools and their blairwitch failures.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:

There's also family events. Some of you may know I've been a father for about a year now, and I've been wanting a video camera worth it's salt.
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
pjp wrote:

Yeah, I've seen some of the gear that can be attached to them, it looks akin to a science experiment.

I've been hoping the "shaky-cam" style videography would soon die out. I've hated it since day one.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigun wrote:
I've been hoping the "shaky-cam" style videography would soon die out. I've hated it since day one.
It was a neat idea for action shots, but not for an entire movie. Dr Strangelove had it during war footage which juxtaposed nicely to the rock solid satire stuff with the President/Dr Strangelove. Like anything movie related, less is more is a good starting principle.

Cloverdale is a good example of vomitcam. I couldn't make it though that movie, not because of the shitty acting, but because I felt like I was going to puke.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigun wrote:

My brain has evolved it's own image stabilization functionality to compensate for this.
eccerr0r
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are those cameras out there now with shake reduction, but are we really putting us up on a demand for shake-less video that was never actually done in the past?

meaning, those shake-less videos done in the past by mega-studios were mostly done on hard tracks that don't vibrate and thus you don't get the shaking... But of course there's even a better option that is coming:

Floating Camera Drones. Now that will take the knee-jerk reaction out of video cameras.

And I'm still undecided whether to get a full SLR or get a cheaper P&S, though the whole point of me thinking about getting a camera is faster manual control - I mean, I can already do manual control on my existing P&S but it's really frustrating to "rotate the focus ring" with two buttons...
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
There are those cameras out there now with shake reduction, but are we really putting us up on a demand for shake-less video that was never actually done in the past?

meaning, those shake-less videos done in the past by mega-studios were mostly done on hard tracks that don't vibrate and thus you don't get the shaking... But of course there's even a better option that is coming:

Floating Camera Drones. Now that will take the knee-jerk reaction out of video cameras.

And I'm still undecided whether to get a full SLR or get a cheaper P&S, though the whole point of me thinking about getting a camera is faster manual control - I mean, I can already do manual control on my existing P&S but it's really frustrating to "rotate the focus ring" with two buttons...
Or a steady cam rig, standard equipment since the 80s.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Something that may help... the best camera isn't the most expensive, most technologically advanced, most automatic, perfect results option you can find. The best camera is the one you have with you, not at home, etc. In other words, if you're more likely to have the P&S than the SLR, the P&S is the better option.

I almost never took my SLR cameras with me because they were too valuable, and I didn't want to risk theft or damage (too hot inside a car in the summer), etc. So unless I was specifically making a trip to take photographs, I never used them.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a point and shoot is so much more convenient because of its portability. Camera mobiles are also a great option. Because the photographs are already quite good.

Get a DSLR only if you really want a full resolution photograph and because it is more than a casual thing for you.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Having a point and shoot is so much more convenient because of its portability. Camera mobiles are also a great option. Because the photographs are already quite good.

Get a DSLR only if you really want a full resolution photograph and because it is more than a casual thing for you.
How can you attach something like this if your don't have a DSLR?
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
notageek wrote:

That's seriously freudian. :lol:
eccerr0r
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to something more serious, what's the focal length of that?

And there are some P&S with built in telephoto lens with quite long focal length. While not upgradeable, it suffices in a lot of places?
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Back to something more serious, what's the focal length of that?

And there are some P&S with built in telephoto lens with quite long focal length. While not upgradeable, it suffices in a lot of places?
I think the focal length is PS.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:
notageek wrote:

Just because you lack the skill to use it or it doesn't mean it isn't useful.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Prenj wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:
notageek wrote:

Just because you lack the skill to use it or it doesn't mean it isn't useful.

I'm not saying it's not useful, I'm saying it's freudian to fetish long cylinder-shaped objects. :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: