View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CompileMe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Enlightenment Freezes Reply with quote

Hello everyone, When I use the GUI to create a new file or folder in EFM enlightenment freezes I have to use Ctrl alt f4 or f5 to switch to another terminal and kill enlightenment. I am using the stable version of enlightenment from portage no overlay. It does not seem to matter what modules are loaded it. I have loaded and unloaded most all of them and it does the same. Just wondering if anyone else has run across this, there does not seem to be alot of info on enlightenment. Also I am using seahorse but I have to run it from the command line because it does not show up in the context menu and I can not find any info on how to add it. every time I Google the subject all that comes up is the Bodhi tutorial but all that shows is adding simple apps. Any way any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
shazeal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience with E17 it is bug-ridden code. Alot of regressions as well. I would try going back a version or two and hope that the bugs in those versions fix the bugs in your current one? :P
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0.17.1 is the most stable I have seen. Unfortunately, the ebuild is no longer in portage. The problem with e17 is that most (all?) of the devs have moved on to e18 and e19. Some of the bugs seen in later "stable" releases of e17 manifest only after you use the desktop for a while. I wonder why they even bother to release the so-called bugfixes, when they clearly don't use the desktop themselves.
CompileMe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys guys. I absolutely love enlightenment it reminds me of fluxbox. Fluxbox is a favorite of mine but it is just too much work to get it configured and setup. I just don't have the time for that right now. I like you, am not sure why they would start on 18 when there are so many bugs in 17. I am going to keep this thread open just in case some one has come across this particulate bug before and might have a solution.
shazeal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2 cents...

Being a fluxbox fan myself I would have to say the time spent setting up any DE is about the same. The more complex ones like Gnome/KDE can actually take more time IMO. And fringe ones like Exx can take forever due to bugs/lack of docs/lack of support etc.

Fluxbox appears to take more time to configure because you do it all in one go then pretty much forget about it. The only thing I ever tinker with is the menu file. Where as other DEs you constantly tinker, fix bugs/conflcts learn additional config syntax, Exx (If you can ever get it to be stable. It's like chasing the holy grail though, something is always broken) is probably the worst offender for this IMO, and openbox wouldnt be far behind in my experience.

The last time I re-installed about a year ago I decided I would try Fluxbox. I would learn all the advanced bits, and configure it properly. OMG I cannot ever goto another DE, it has ruined me. Honestly Tabbing, Tabbing by app, Screen allocation/stickies, all configured through the command line rather than playing match the shapes to the hole in a menu system. I am more productive, waste almost zero time on "maintenance", zero crashes in the whole year. And honestly apart from startup and menu I have never touched a config file since the first couple of days of using it.
You will waste more time trying to achieve an impossible goal through Exx than you ever will configuring Fluxbox.

Also... I want Exx to work, its just so goddamn beautiful. But honestly over Fluxbox it think it offers very little apart from that.
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue the OP faces is that the EFM is just a window popped up in the enlightenment process. If they had designed it to be a process of its own the DE would not freeze when the FM falls apart. I faced the same issue, even with 0.17.1. There were several other issues (e.g. with enlightenment-open)
I am using awesome + compton. The most apps I use run in a terminal, so I don't have to bother about getting new fancy themes every few weeks ;) My setup is beautiful enough to be useful and easy on the eyes - well, a black bar with grey text (+some color for volume/battery widgets) on the top is everything I see from my DE.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: