moving stage4 to the other box
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: moving stage4 to the other box Reply with quote

Hi.
I want to move my entire system to sister's box. I packed system into stage4 and unpacked it at destination box. Now I can't to log in neither as root nor as regular user. No errors, just asks for login over and over. When booting in single mode I can login as root, but most of commands fails with "illegal instruction" message. As far as I understood it is a march issue. My system was built with march=native (for Sandy Bridge CPU), but destination box has Core2Duo E8600 CPU that requires march=core2. The most common way to fix the issue is rebuilding entire the system with new march and move new tarball to destination. But it is requires too march time, I have to built it twice (second build for restoring march=native for my box). Is there any way to fix already unpacked tarball? May be some kind of "safe mode" that blocks instructions that not supported by core2duo?
N8Fear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've answered your own question: you try to run sandy-bridge optimized code on a box that doesn't understand that. There's no real way around than.

I see two different options for you:

1) put the drive from the Core2Duo into the Sandy-Bridge box, boot it and rebuild there (just one rebuild, but downtime).

2) extract a stage3 tarball over the stage4 on the Core2Duo and rebuild everything there (this way the Sandy-Bridge box will continue to be usable).

Other than that you won't have much of a choice because it's embedded into the binaries...
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it seems rebuilding all the system is the only option.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: