Btrfs + dm-crypt using only one CPU core
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueFusion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Btrfs + dm-crypt using only one CPU core Reply with quote

I am running 4 hard drives and 1 SSD in my desktop with an i7-940 CPU. All of them are formatted with LUKS/dm-crypt with btrfs on top of them. There are 3 separate btrfs filesystems.

Running a btrfs scrub today, I noticed that the drives are only reading at about 30MB/sec. Looking into it, further, I discovered that there are multiple kworker threads running, but only one CPU core is being used for all of them, limiting the dm-crypt speed significantly.

Is there a way to have kworker utilize more than one CPU core? Or atleast different filesystems/disks per CPU?

I just upgraded today to kernel 3.18.0.

I am not upgrading to a CPU with AES-NI yet.
BlueFusion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also mention that it seems to only be LUKS/dm-crypt causing the issue. A cat /dev/sda > /dev/null even during the scrub process allows full SATA-II speeds.
BlueFusion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump. Anything I'm missing or do I just have to upgrade before Skylake comes out?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: