View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpiderPigLoki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: XFCE: Sound Applet wanted Reply with quote

Hello Forum,

I feel kind of stupid posting this, but I googled for the last days and found nothing......

I recently uninstalled a bunch of gnome-related packages (What do I need GNOME-Stuff for? I run XFCE - Right? -.-) and now I miss my sound applet....

Installing the package gnome-panel did not bring it back and searching for "sound-indicator" or "notification-indicator" did not solve the problem either.... this just seems to work for Ubuntu....

Unfortunately I can not remeber much about the applet.... I know, that I was able to "overamplifiy" the volume (eg. to 115%) and that it was pretty slim and not fancy looking.

Sorry for the lack of information.

Is there maybe something like a Portage-History? I soppuse not, since this would get pretty large real quick.....

Kind regards
SPL
Carnildo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: XFCE: Sound Applet wanted Reply with quote

SpiderPigLoki wrote:
Is there maybe something like a Portage-History? I soppuse not, since this would get pretty large real quick.....

There's "emerge.log" in /var/log/. It's a pretty big file, so your best bet is to search through it with "grep". "grep 'unmerge success' /var/log/emerge.log" will give you a list of every package you've removed from your system (and because of how Portage works, a list of every package you've upgraded).
hadrons123
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xfce-extra/xfce4-power-manager is what you need to get the volume icon back. It sounds odd but they have hooked both of them together. Just check for it.
SpiderPigLoki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far, but the right answer was not among them (yet... have to check the log some more).

XFCE-Power-Manager was still installed, but it only says
Code:

XFCE_PLUGINS="brightness"

Is it maybe supposed to say XFCE_PLUGINS="brightness sound" or something similiar?

Thanks so far for your efforts!
Really appreciated! :)
hadrons123
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you are looking at the wrong place . Do you have xfce-extra/xfce4-volumed installed with power-manager?
SpiderPigLoki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hadrons123 wrote:
Do you have xfce-extra/xfce4-volumed installed with power-manager?

I guess so..... I'm not sure, what you mean when you say "with Power-Manager"..... Power-Manager and volumed are both installed on the system...did I maybe forget to start it? It that possible? When I enter "xfce4-volumed" in the terminal nothing happens.

I now killed "xfce4-volumed" and startet "xfce4-volumed-pulse" but still no improvment -> no applet

Which should I start? "xfce4-volumed" or the pulse one?
I have pulseaudio installed and it's running

Code:

Calculating dependencies             ... done!                   
[ebuild   R    ] xfce-extra/xfce4-volumed-0.1.13  USE="alsa libnotify -debug -oss" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ~] xfce-extra/xfce4-volumed-pulse-0.2.0  USE="libnotify -debug" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] xfce-extra/xfce4-power-manager-1.2.0-r1  USE="networkmanager policykit udisks -debug" XFCE_PLUGINS="brightness" 0 kB

Total: 3 packages (3 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
hadrons123
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is in order. No need to rebuild. I think you are expecting volume icon to appear in the notification area which I guess XFCE doesn't work like gnome in that front. But you can add an audio-mixer from the panel preferences to the panel when you have installed the xfce4-volumed and xfce4-power-manager apps. I dont use pulse. I have alsa.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: