Mounting CIFS share, permissions issue. Never mind. Solved
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Mounting CIFS share, permissions issue. Never mind. Solved Reply with quote

Hi.

I have a CIFS mount permissions issue, and I'm not really that good with this sort of thing.

I have a Windows box which is sharing a directory. The share's access is limited to a single Windows user whose sole function is to be permissions for this share.

I have a headless Linux box which has the directory mounted. The mount specifies the Windows user to log in as.

As a user on the Linux system, I can 'sudo touch something' and get a 'something' file on the share. As a normal user I can't create a file.

I have a nonhuman login on the Linux box (a service running as non-root user who can't log in) which is trying to read and write the shared directory.

I need the service user to be able to read and write this directory, and I need a human user to be able to read and write it, hopefully without changing anything on the Windows side. Making the directory world-writable on the network is very bad.

I've briefly caused the share to be read/write for everyone, and suddenly things work fine. Again, this is not acceptable. I need to fix this on the Linux side if possible.

Thanks.

Last edited by 1clue on Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the Unix permissions on the directory where you cannot touch something?
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't get back. I found a better FM to R. Sorry I didn't think of the best search terms before posting.

Man page sucks, google works fine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: