Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
My kernel mysteriously changed itself???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pertplus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: My kernel mysteriously changed itself??? Reply with quote

Hello,

I had a gentoo installation working splendidly, using X server and openbox for my gui environment.

Then, I installed windows (I know, I know) onto a separate partition, which worked fine and I was able to boot into windows no problem.
But then, I boot into liveusb and edit lilo.conf to add windows option, then run /sbin/lilo (after mounting my root and boot and chrooting to /mnt/gentoo). Upon reboot, lilo screen pops up and I can sucessfully choose windows or gentoo, and both boot.

BUT, upon typing 'startx' I get nothing now, when it used to work before I installed windows. But I didn't change any config or anything, so I dont get it!
My X server refused to start, saying "no screens found". Looking in dmesg I see looping error of nvidia module being loaded and unloaded, saying it is conflicting with another module (e.g. nouveau, or a framebuffer). I also notice a couple of oddities during boot, for example it hangs on "waiting for uevents to be processed" for about 3 minutes. I also briefly see mention of [nouveau], which is weird because it is disabled in kernel (and I double checked this and recompile kernel, but no dice).

Also, now somehow I get high-res during boot, I didnt before with nvidia propriatery driver. There is no framebuffer support enabled in kernel.

Basically it seems like somehow my kernel started loading nouveau drivers on its own, even though theyre disabled??

The ONLY thing that was changed was I turned off my BIOS setting for intel virutalization technology. I'll try re-enabling it after work but I dont see how that could be the issue (well, I do use -march native, but I tried recompiling nvidia-drivers anyway and have same issue).

I did update nvidia drivers in windows...is it possible it changed firmware on the card or something?? (nvidia gtx 650 ti, does it even have firmware :?)

Since the bios setting was literally the only thing changed I guess it might be it.. I will try later today but meantime does anyone have any clues about this??

thanks very much
quilosaq
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Do not try to find out what happened. Try to fix it. Post your
Code:
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
after startx fails.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pertplus,

I guess you updated your kernel a while ago to break it but did not run /sbin/lilo, so the old kerned continued to be used.
When you added windows and ran /sbin/lilo, you also got your new (broken) kernel.

Lilo loads the kernel from a block list, not by reading the filesystem, so its quite happy to load a file thats no longer listed in the filesystem.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wrote the lilo wiki page & inserted a section about old configs. you should have vmlinuz-version.old and the .old should be the kernel that was previously loaded if what seagoon says is correct.
pertplus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks very much for the replies.

I will paste my xorg.0.log as soon as I get home.

I'm quite certain I always ran /sbin/lilo after chaning kernel, and, as mentioned, I did recompile kernel and certainly ran /sbin/lilo after that. And, in all my kernel recompilings, I never once chose the nouveau drivers, so why would those be showing up!

Is it somehow possible the liveusb kernel got mixed with my current one when I did the chroot /sbin/lilo ?

I will post xorg.0.log in a couple hours, thank you all

I may also try replacing kernel with vmlinuz-version.old one to see if it helps..

The really odd thing is the high-res during boot - it seems to indivate nouveau or a frame buffer driver, but all are disabled!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pertplus,

It indicates a framebuffer console of some sort.

Put your kernel config onto a pastebin site. Wgetpaste is your friend.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
pertplus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/usr/src/linux/.config: http://bpaste.net/show/158288/

/var/log/Xorg.0.log: http://bpaste.net/show/158289

note: when i got home and powered on, it acts differently now - after startx screen went black and seemed to change res/flicker like it usually does when x starts. But it stayed black, and seemed to be fully frozen, I tried alt f1 / alt f2, ctrl + alt + f7 then alt+f2, ctrl + c, etc, and it just styed black. I had to use the power button.
pertplus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's the previous Xorg.log I was talking about:
/var/log/Xorg.0.old.log: http://bpaste.net/show/158291
pertplus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now this is weird...I re-enabled the bios setting for intel virtualization and its working again. But I also did /sbin/lilo again, because uname -v said my kernel was from November 30. Maybe I just repeatedly forgot to run /sbin/lilo before the switch as neddyseagoon said. Is there a way to look back and see what I typed on November 30?
quilosaq
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems you need set CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU in the kernel config. Post your
Code:
emerge --info
and
Code:
lspci
outputs for help.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

666threesixes666 wrote:
i wrote the lilo wiki page & inserted a section about old configs. you should have vmlinuz-version.old and the .old should be the kernel that was previously loaded if what seagoon says is correct.

A page that doesn't even mention lilo should be run after kernel update... a high weakness vs grub. And like this user shown, something easy to forget.
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the great thing about wiki, krinn sees my flaws, krinn has permission to fix them :o (even though i already did) it completely slipped my mind since ive been converted to "make install" my kernels and it automatically runs lilo for me for doing so.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

666threesixes666 wrote:
krinn sees my flaws, krinn has permission to fix them

No i don't have permission to fix it. You need to register for that.
There are different medium... forum medium fit my needs, i don't want to register or learn howto write in a wiki.

I don't see what's wrong to point you on it, so you could fix it. If gentoo were doing like you, bug report should be made only with a patch. Glad for us, it's not the case.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pertplus,

We all forget to run /sbin/lilo from time to time. It gets really messy when a piece of the kernel you are trying to boot from the blocklist has been overwritten.
I switched to grub a long time ago to avoid this sort of thing.

look in .bash_history for your last 300 commands. Each user has this file.
Its not foolproof as if you have several console sessions open, only the history from one is saved.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: