Dual boot W2K/Gentoo on notebook w/ IEEE1394 CD drive
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:57 am    Post subject: Dual boot W2K/Gentoo on notebook w/ IEEE1394 CD drive Reply with quote

Feel free to ignore me if some of this has been asked too many times... I've read through every single post about dual boot setups I could find, but this is my main machine, and I'm very nervous about messing it up.

Two questions:

1. I have two FAT32 partitions of 11.2 and 16.8 GB respectively [1], and I was planning for the second one to accomodate Gentoo. Can I use fdisk to repartition, or will I have to manipulate things in the W2K disk manager first? I'd like to avoid having to use something like Partition Magic...

2. The notebook has a CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive in the docking station, but unfortunately it's connected via IEEE1394. The BIOS has a CD-ROM boot option, and it does work e.g. with the W2K recovery CD, but I'm unable to boot from the Gentoo installation CD [2]. Is there a boot floppy image that would make my CD drive accessible? And if not, yet assuming I manage to install Gentoo via netboot, will I eventually be able to access the drive at all? The notebook is a Sony PCG-R505R/GK (Japanese model), if that rings anybody's bell.

Much obliged!

[1] don't ask me why it's not NTFS, I bought it like this
[2] checked the medium, works fine in my other PCs
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through the basic's of a bual boot... i'm no expert.. but basically.. in Windows.. you'll want to split up your partitions first..

just make enough space 1-4+ gigs depending on perference..
then go into into linux.. or even better a Disk Manager.. Split that Empty Partition into 3 Partitions.. 1 for Boot, 1 For Swap, and 1 for All you other files..

Then when in linux. format and setup the file system's per fdisk and the instructions in the doc's..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: