View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aviator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Webcams Reply with quote

Hey folks,

I recently purchased a UVC-based webcam. I discovered the guvcview and luvcview utilities, as well as made sure it works with Skype.

I'm here today to ask about 2 things.

1: When one of luvcview or guvcview is running, the other can not. Same with Skype. When one reads from /dev/video0, nobody else can. I'd like to make it possible to use multiple viewers at the same time.

2: On the opposite side of the coin, I'd like to know when my webcam is on. I don't like the idea of it being on at the behest of some random person. I run e17 as my desktop environment, and anything that requires Gnome will get a flat out no from me. I already crashed my system once when upgrading to systemd, I don't want to mess with Gnome. Any advice? I just want a little monitor for when my webcam is active.

Thank you very much,

- Avi.
Vorlon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can share the output of the webcam. If you do find a way, please post it here.

My webcam has a light that comes on when it's active. Most laptops have a mechanical slide which covers the lense, since you can't over-ride that with software. If you don't have a light on your cam, maybe you coudl fashion a small piece of cardboard to keep anyone from activating it remotely. Not elegant, but would be functional.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: