eselect bashcomp gone
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timmer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: eselect bashcomp gone Reply with quote

Hi, I installed bash-completion but when I look in eselect, there is no bashcomp module. Is there another step that i'm missing?

Code:
Extra modules:
  binutils                  Manage installed versions of sys-devel/binutils
  blas                      Manage installed BLAS implementations
  cblas                     Manage installed CBLAS implementations
  cdparanoia                Manage /usr/bin/cdparanoia implementation
  ecj                       Manage ECJ targets
  editor                    Manage the EDITOR environment variable
HTS
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here it disappeared yesterday, been driving me nuts all day.

Also my git-prompt is gone. I can temporarily fix by running:
source /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/git-prompt
ShinyDoofy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I'm not the only one! This one seems to have come from updating app-shells/bash-completion to 2.1-r1.

I probably could go back by installing 2.1 again, but then all the recompiling would have been nothing but a waste (including libreoffice and 25 other packages). Meh!

However, there already is a bug about this. I just can't seem to follow through with it, unfortunately. If anyone has more luck or a better understanding of missing files and when/how to patch what exactly, I'd be more than happy to try it out.

/nvm, patching doesn't seem to bring back eselect bashcomp either.
HTS
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downgrading eselect to app-admin/eselect-1.3.6 makes bashcomp come back to eselect.
However, eselect bashcomp list only lists modules present directly in /usr/share/bash-completion

Stuff in /usr/share/bash-completion/completions is ignored... so looks like someone messed up big time here :D

EDIT: to get back to a working system while devs sort the mess:
Add the following to package.mask:
Code:
>=app-admin/eselect-1.3.7
>app-shells/bash-completion-2.1

Then:
Code:
emerge -v1 app-shells/bash-completion
emerge -v1 $(qfile -q -S -C /usr/share/bash-completion)

ShinyDoofy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a different bug that explicitly asked to remove the eselect module in 1.3.7. Apparently, completions are now loaded dynamically whenever they are needed.

I source /etc/profile.d/bash_completion.sh in my .bashrc and normal completions (like for cd and git) work fine. However, git-prompt is not loaded dynamically and thus __git_ps1 can't be found until i source it explicitly. Otherwise, it's "simply" all been turned to work automagically and when needed.
HTS
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShinyDoofy wrote:
There's a different bug that explicitly asked to remove the eselect module in 1.3.7. Apparently, completions are now loaded dynamically whenever they are needed.

I source /etc/profile.d/bash_completion.sh in my .bashrc and normal completions (like for cd and git) work fine. However, git-prompt is not loaded dynamically and thus __git_ps1 can't be found until i source it explicitly. Otherwise, it's "simply" all been turned to work automagically and when needed.

Following your advice I tried again today, the problem I hit was that somehow, emerging git installed my completion scripts under /. Maybe because of an outdated ENV.

So after moving the scripts:
Code:
mv /git /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/git
mv /git-prompt /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/git-prompt

And adding the following to /etc/bash/bashrc:
Code:
[[ -f /etc/profile.d/bash_completion.sh ]] && source /etc/profile.d/bash_completion.sh
[[ -f /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/git-prompt ]] && source /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/git-prompt

All works fine now.
papu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it works nice for me with source /etc/profile.d/bash_completion.sh
but eix don't list packages like emerge do. Until now eix was listing the packages.

Code:
using ~amd64:
eselect 1.3.7, bash-completion 2.1-r1 and gentoo-bashcomp 20121024

wdsci
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to be clear: I'm still experiencing this problem (eselect bashcomp doesn't exist, and git-prompt completions are not loaded) after updating everything to latest ~amd64 versions last night. Is it going to be the expected and normal behavior from now on that I have to explicitly source /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/git-prompt?
ShinyDoofy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Aug 29, bash-completion 2.1-r1 was hard masked. See /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask for details. Apparently, there was a number of bugs and people disagreeing about the changes performed.

As a consequence of the rollback, completion is garbled, to put it nicely. I had to re-emerge git to get the completions in the now correct-again path, run a script over all the completions eselect bashcomp offers (yes, it's back!).

Foremost, you will have to change your profile/.bashrc to include bash-completion.sh instead of bash_completion.sh (dash vs underscore). Hope this helps someone.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to reinstall everything that puts files in /usr/share/bash-completion when upgrading, and I assume the same applies for downgrading.

For me, I've just added them to package.unmask. I've just finished cleaning up that fallout the first time; by pushing everyone who's done so to revert with no further explanation, this "cure" is worse than the problem it's claiming to solve.
ShinyDoofy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the same for now as the list of packages is just too big considering it's all going to get turned around again soon (or so I think).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: