The Death of the Dream
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: The Death of the Dream Reply with quote

Ok, the main blog post is someone lamenting the awakening from the so called American Dream, but the comments are awesome:
Quote:
depressive lucidity Says:
December 31st, 2012 at 9:09 pm
Now you start to get angry. They promised you that if you worked hard and did well, you could have anything you dreamed of.

Is that when you started to get angry? Because the empire lied to you when it told you that if you were a good little believer and acquired all the right titles then you could have all the toys you wanted and you would get to remain an infant in Candy Land for the rest of your life while the empire continued to murder invisible brown people in far away places (that, as far as you were concerned, didn’t even exist) so that the “good” soldiers could secure the resources to keep Candy Land buzzing with fun.

And when the man-babies with the sideways baseball caps (who were trying to hang on to their ludicrous adolescence by pretending that they were still frat boys) woke up one morning and learned that Matt Lauer was dragged from his Bentley by an angry mob and beaten to death and their debit cards didn’t work and the local food mart was looted and the iPhone couldn’t get a signal and the television was vomiting Orwellian pablum … they crapped their little undies, crawled up into a ball and quietly waited for the sans culottes to burst into their town homes and do what hungry, angry monkeys do.

:lol:
http://guymcpherson.com/2012/12/the-death-of-the-dream/
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:

lol occupiers

I enjoyed his writing, though. He might be good someday (if he learns perimeter vs parameter).

When I graduated college we were in a recession too, and we were also on the no shit brink of global nuclear holocaust and another "ice age". I remember also parroting a lot of negativity.

While I'm often guilty of it myself, I'm strarting to get a little tired of "the end is nigh -- woe is me". The end has been nigh every so often for as long as I've bee around, and I haven't even had to live through a major war or depression yet, like my grandparents, who also grew up with none of these promises.

Maybe, collectively, we're feeling a little too sorry for ourselves and need to reject the sense of learned helplessness our entitlement-oriented culture has infected us with, gird our loins, and start making things happen for ourselves.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Maybe, collectively, we're feeling a little too sorry for ourselves and need to reject the sense of learned helplessness our entitlement-oriented culture has infected us with, gird our loins, and start making things happen for ourselves.

I hear ya. Objectively, a lot of stuff has got a lot better over the time, and I guess generations who grew up in it take it for granted. Not that they are spoiled brats, it's natural, and it is also a good thing in a sense that they can use their time channeling whatever discontent they have now to something new that didn't exist before. But I agree that they could use more channeling, and doing, and less whining and waiting for it to happen.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: