New Laptop - Suggestions Needed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: New Laptop - Suggestions Needed Reply with quote

Hey there,
I am going to buy a new laptop (current one is 4 years old, it needs retirement) and I'm kinda up for suggestions.
I have some minimal requirements:
- It has to be i7 (I'm not sure if it worths to invest in 4th generation rather than 3rd...)
- It has to be 17' or more
- nVidia graphic card

I am wondering which manufacturers to trust and which ones to avoid, specially how easy/complicated it would be to have Gentoo on them (I've had horrible times with some very nasty hardware in the past...)

Also, touchscreen could be a plus, but I don't know how well the drivers for Linux are working at the moment...

Thanks in advance!
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Lenovo G780, and I am very happy with it, so far. I have only had it about a week. I have had no problems with hardware. It does have the Intel HD Graphics 4000 rather than nVida, although I believe it was an option at one point. The one catch is that the Intel card does invert the backlight so an appropriate boot parameter is needed to fix it, however this is a flaw in the software, not hardware.

I would defiantly recommend them.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
I just got a Lenovo G780, and I am very happy with it, so far. I have only had it about a week. I have had no problems with hardware. It does have the Intel HD Graphics 4000 rather than nVida, although I believe it was an option at one point. The one catch is that the Intel card does invert the backlight so an appropriate boot parameter is needed to fix it, however this is a flaw in the software, not hardware.

I would defiantly recommend them.

Thank you for your suggestion. I just checked and apparently there is no option to switch to nVidia. I need to fool around with CUDA sometimes and I like to be able to do that in my own computer rather than in my office.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: