blank screen on vanilla kernel unless nomodeset is specified
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
insania
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: blank screen on vanilla kernel unless nomodeset is specified Reply with quote

Hopefully this is the correct place in the forums to post.

I roll the vanilla stable kernel (always have no really any problems i just like to). Anyway i am on kernel version 3.9.11. I have always just downloaded the new sources copied my .config over and did a 'make oldconfig'. If i upgrade to 3.10 (or newer i tired mainline as well) i get a black screen while booting (i don't boot to X and can ssh into the machine after it boots, just the framebuffer never works). the only way to get anything to display it to specify 'nomodeset' for a kernel parameter. With the 3.9 (and lower) series i get my nice 1920x1080 framebuffer (i do almost everything on the tty's), and with 3.10 and higher and nomodeset it is ugly (like 1024x768ish).

This is a Zenbook Prime UX31A with integrated Intel HD4000 graphics. I did read people saying it had to do with backlighting and acpi, but i tried with acpi=off and even compiled acpi out of the kernel. Any help would be appreciated, i would like to keep following the vanilla kernel (after all the fun about gentoo is freedom).

Thanks,

sean

Last edited by insania on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make it clear for anyone who knows what's going on, is it a black screen (backlight off) or blank screen (backlight on, but nothing shows up)?

I've only seen one laptop where it's the former, and doing the Fn-Brighten_display is a workaround and I could use the machine until I told the kernel to say that ACPI is lying...
insania
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it is a blank screen. I tried the acpi_backlight=vendor and the invert backlight (i cannot remember the syntax right now). I would think if it had anything to do with the backlight then even setting nomodeset would do no good. Plus i can use the hardware keys and turn up the backlight. Sorry i will try to edit my post topic.

sean
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i noted this behavior over a month ago. thanks for wording it, i was trying "no console linux" and everything else in google.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: