Predictable network interfaces
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiefbag
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Predictable network interfaces Reply with quote

Just an observation regarding the new predictable network names, I don't see any reference to this in the installation docs at least as below link.
This will for sure cause major headaches for new guys.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=4&chap=1
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Predictable network interfaces Reply with quote

chiefbag wrote:
This will for sure cause major headaches for new guys.

You've said it! One of the biggest--and well-placed--criticisms of the new udev rollout was doing it before the installation documentation got changed. This has been a problem for new users. I keep seeing new-user posts show up in these forums asking for help for the very thing. What tops it off is that the advice in the documentation that does exist is often to go with those damn-dumb default names based on the bus address of the network interface. We should always steer users away from those names.

I finally broke down and got a cheapo used machine just so I could test various ways to do the boot process. This SystemDumb+udev thing has really screwed things up for me.

In my test machine I've got a small boot partition with extlinux boot and BusyBox with an lvm2 executable and a shell script to mount and start a root LVM volume. It works, but I'm still tweaking it. I can get both a full boot and a rescue shell--all with no initrd. Yes, it's early userspace, but it feels more honest. There are no setup tools with hidden magic, and no overhead of decompressing archives that contain lots of items that go unused.

One thing I had to do, sigh, was add an /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules file to the root file system so networking would work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: