Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Installing on a 586 wihout network
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Installing on a 586 wihout network Reply with quote

Greetings,

I need to install a GNU/Linux distro (preferably Gentoo) on a pre-i686 machine that hasn't Network access. Therefore, I can't 'emerge rsync' to download the source tree. Also, I can't use a stage3 image because it needs an i686.

Therefore, I would be much appreciative if someone (who isn't forced to use a bozotic OS while using the one computer with Internet access, like me) would make of version of the stage1 ISO image that has the Portage source tree it (as does the stage3 image), so that I could burn that on a CD an then install Gentoo without network access.

Thank you.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the stage 3 boot CD is *optimized* for i686, but will still run on older x86 processors.

In other words, I believe the stage 3 CD is compiled with -mcpu=i686 rather than -march=i686. (again, if I'm wrong, someone please jump in and correct me.)

Regarding burning a CD with the portage tree on it, the portage tree only contains the build scripts -- it doesn't contain the actual source files. You have to pull those from the net. So, I don't think that option will work for you.

--kurt
david

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then how about a CD that has the build scripts *and* the source tree?

Can someone confirm please that the stage3 image will work on a 586? And that the binaries that get dumped on my system I get to compile on my system?
user99

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stage3 would not boot my Sis 5600, I used an existing installation to fdisk the drive and mounted the partitions Installed the files from the tbz2
and chrooted to it. Then I built a kernel and modules; dd if=arch/i386/boot/bzImage of=/dev/fd0 produces a floppy; boot it and your in a working stage3; now if I could get pppoe to work under linux ..
this too will come in time.
davidmccabe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha!

Kernel panic: out of memory and no killable processes.

...right before init starts.

:lol:

It's got 48 megs of RAM. How big is Gentoo?

How is it that RedHat can starts a fancy X-based installer program and Gentoo can't even boot?

Furthermore, now what do I do?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: