View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fizz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows doesnt have bugs, it develops new features :)
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cvk wrote:
Well, I'd say that Windows' GUI is more stable than anything on Linux. It might not have all the eye candy that (enter your favourite WM here) offers, but it simply works - and it works very well, especially Windows XP.

I don't think so. Sure, I have had my GUI hang in Linux (although it was more common in the past). But I can always restart X and keep on working. Also, my GUI hangs occasionally in Windows (W2K). There's nothing I can do, I have to restart the machine.
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cvk wrote:
Well, I'd say that Windows' GUI is more stable than anything on Linux. It might not have all the eye candy that (enter your favourite WM here) offers, but it simply works - and it works very well, especially Windows XP.

You really think so?

My XP machine is very unstable, especially when it comes to its GUI. While it never crashes badly enough to force me to reboot usually, the maybe 2 or 3 hours a day I use my Windows machine, I experience probably an average of a crash a day. Yesterday Explorer crashed around three times. I'm not sure if I even used it more than an hour that day.

I honestly can't think of the last time my WM (currently kahakai, previously xfce4 during and after its beta phases), let alone X, crashed.

And I won't even get into Explorer and its horrible handing of *CLICKING* on large directories.

And I'm not really sure that there's a point in mentioning eyecandy when you have XP itself (fruity as the default theme may be, you can't say you've used XP if you haven't noticed all the stupid fading and sliding effects it comes with enabled), StyleXP, WindowBlinds or the practically thriving alternate shell community.
cvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion wrote:
Also, my GUI hangs occasionally in Windows (W2K). There's nothing I can do, I have to restart the machine.

If something goes wrong, it always goes terribly wrong. At work I had a computer that bluescreened up to 5 times a day (with Win2k). Very annoying, especially when you had to wait 2 hours for the debugger to reach a breakpoint and this damn thing crashed immediately after reaching it... but nonetheless: When it works, I think it looks quite professional and is very responsive.

Don't get me wrong: I'd never even install Windows at home (I don't even own a copy) but I get envious when I see how well Windows (sometimes) works, while KArchiver reproducably crashes when opening a file, Konqueror wants to copy files although I just single clicked anywhere in the tree, the clipboard doesn't work and everything is terribly sloppy.

At least until my friends' systems need to be reinstalled because of some email worm :twisted:

Chris
pytigger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. Great. "65000 known defuncts" is clearly not true. I think you will have a very hard time to find 65000 things that windows 2000 as a kernel and base components does.Please specify your sources more clearly. Otherwise nobody can *honestly* believe you.
And the Gentoo bugs are mainly those problems that you can't solve without programming. For me for example I still have several sound issues, I have somehow broken the video display facilitiess (no idea how) and it took me weeks to find a kernel that would work with my totally standard everyday network card.
Gentoo *should* be easy to use in the hands of experts. But for anyone else there are constant sources for anoyance....
oldsk00l
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the apples to oranges comparison.

Because in lieu of that, I'd take the oranges :)
jonfr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds intresting...any idea what the current number is ?
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, WindowsXP is rock hard stable once you install it. But after actually using it for a few months, and installing every program under the sun, it goes buggy as hell.

I do the same thing in Linux (I probably have one third of portage emerged, haha..), and although I have to nudge software sometimes to get it to work, it generally never crashes on my. Hell, I have 29 days uptime now on a development kernel with heavy usage including watching videos, burning cd's, and playing games.
Boris27
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always had the idea with XP that it in itself is pretty stable, but if you install a crapload of apps, it goes to hell.

If you keep your XP clean, it wont crash. You shouldn't have to keep it clean like that, it should just work, but if you do some cleaning, it can be stable.

Maybe its just sloppy programming on 3rd party apps....
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris27 wrote:
I have always had the idea with XP that it in itself is pretty stable, but if you install a crapload of apps, it goes to hell.

If you keep your XP clean, it wont crash. You shouldn't have to keep it clean like that, it should just work, but if you do some cleaning, it can be stable.

Maybe its just sloppy programming on 3rd party apps....

That is correct. Now, I challenge you to go do some real work without any apps not included in Windows.

Yes, Microsoft Office is a 3rd party app by that rule.

Succeeded? Excellent! Now, go dig up all of them security advisories. Filter it so that only kernel advisories are included. And there, you have all the security bugs for Linux itself.

Still looking for more? Well, go find all Portage related bugs (ebuilds excluded), LiveCD bugs, gentoolkit and baselayout bugs. There, you have all the bugs for Gentoo itself.
jaska
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows only having 63,000 known problems eh. Sounds like there has been some "tidying up" made to that. Everything has bugs, but the difference being that in opensource these bugs are atleast being tried to fix, unlike in the microsoft camp.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: