Having to load websites twice for them to actually load
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrcarbon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Having to load websites twice for them to actually load Reply with quote

Hi,

I am having a problem with the networking. Whenever I want to load a website, I will have to load it twice for it to actually load, this is an example of what happens:

I have noticed this happens whenever I visit a new domain and if I don't visit that domain for around 5-10 minutes then the problem will crop up again where I will have to reload.

This also happens in the terminal when I want to install or wget something, for example, I will need to call the command once, it will then give a network error then I have to call it again and it will work this time.

I am using a wired connection.

I have searched around a bit and I don't think I have found a solution to the problem, I saw one similar question on askubuntu.com however it did not have any answers.

I do not have this problem on my Windows 8 partition.

Would appreciate some help,
Thanks!
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the exact error when it fails? Are you unable to connect or unable to resolve?
Jack Hair
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might have to do with ipv6. With ipv6 enabled I also have problems with page loading, not what you describe, just very slow loading. With ipv6 disabled (I use Firefox and disabled ipv6 in about:config) pages load normally.
mrcarbon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
What is the exact error when it fails? Are you unable to connect or unable to resolve?

Unable to resolve hostname.

Jack Hair wrote:
It might have to do with ipv6. With ipv6 enabled I also have problems with page loading, not what you describe, just very slow loading. With ipv6 disabled (I use Firefox and disabled ipv6 in about:config) pages load normally.

Thanks, I'll give that a go in a few minutes.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could well be IPv6 if your router and/or your ISP don't support IPv6. You can check using Wireshark. I had a similar problem and found three alternative ways around the problem -- see 'Server not found' by Firefox at launch [Solved].

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some braindead DNS servers are known to mishandle queries when they receive a AAAA request. If your DNS server has this problem, you need to upgrade it to a version which handles these requests in a sane manner. As a workaround, you may be able to prevent AAAA queries from being sent, but this involves modifying the behavior of many client applications, rather than fixing one server program.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: