How To Partition for Dual Boot of Gentoo & Winxp
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: How To Partition for Dual Boot of Gentoo & Winxp Reply with quote

Hi Guys.. Gentoo Sounds like a great install, and it's been a while since I've tried out any linux packages.. Usually I end of killing my Windows when i try a Dual Boot Setup.. Either with Partition Magic.. or just not taking the time before i play with everything.. So i'm hoping someone can help me figure the best way to Partition and Setup this up before I try to install.

My Current Drive Configuration Under Windows XP is as....

2 HD's IDE ATA 100's

1. is 20 GIG
2. is 100 GIG

The (1) First Drive (20 Gigs) is Setup with 4 Partition of 5 Gigs..
C: (File System NTFS)
D: (File System NTFS)
E: (File System NTFS)
F: (File System NTFS)

The (2) Drive (100 Gigs) just 1 Partition
J: (File System NTFS)

This is where i get a little confused on how i should set this up for a Dual Boot.. It can be Done if the C: is NTFS right?? Now how should i go about makeing my Linux Partition.. or Converting.. D E or F into a Linux Partition... Either by Removing the File System and letting the Gentoo do the work.. I'm not to sure how to go about this.. Any Help is very much
apprecieated!! Thank you!

* Updated - HD's are hooked up to a Highpoint ATA Controler on the monther an ASUS k7133.. AMD.. for the ATA-100

Last edited by Mandr4ke on Fri Jul 26, 2002 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend killing off both E and F drives on your first physical disk (if you can spare that much room, you certainly can use it!) then when you build your Gentoo box in the fdisk program you can use the spare space to make three new partitions. A boot partition that is roughly 100MB, and a swap partition that is roughly double your RAM (this is a very debatable way of calculating Swap, but it will work) and then the rest to your root partition. Then your boot will be /dev/hda3 your swap will be /dev/hda4 and your root will be /dev/hda5. You will need to remember that when you do your Gentoo install. Also when you configure grub you will need to be careful that you keep your partitions straight.

Hope that helps, feel free to post more specific questions in this thread if I was too general!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, depending on what you have on each partition, you'll pretty much need to delte at least 2 of them, 3 preferred.

for example, I have
Code:
/dev/hda1 - Win2K (~2G)
/dev/hda2 - /boot (~100M or ~200M, I forget)
/dev/hda3 - swap (~512M or so)
/dev/hda4 - / (remainder of 12G drive)
You could also use drive 2.
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BonezTheGoon wrote:
I'd recommend killing off both E and F drives on your first physical disk (if you can spare that much room, you certainly can use it!) then when you build your Gentoo box in the fdisk program you can use the spare space to make three new partitions. A boot partition that is roughly 100MB, and a swap partition that is roughly double your RAM (this is a very debatable way of calculating Swap, but it will work) and then the rest to your root partition. Then your boot will be /dev/hda3 your swap will be /dev/hda4 and your root will be /dev/hda5. You will need to remember that when you do your Gentoo install. Also when you configure grub you will need to be careful that you keep your partitions straight.

Hope that helps, feel free to post more specific questions in this thread if I was too general!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon

Great.. Just wanted to 1. Make Sure that my C: drive can be NTFS.. and that i can install Gentoo on another other Partition Like D,E,F, J maybe.. hehe Umm Fdisk.. that is Gentoo's Fdisk correct? I also have 512 MEGs of ram in my machine.. so i don't know if i'll need to big of a swap Partition..

One of my main concerns is.. when i do inital install / setup.. and it overwrites my boot sector.. will it automaticlly put the WinXP boot option in there.. or will i need to Edit a config file and manually do it..
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Well, depending on what you have on each partition, you'll pretty much need to delte at least 2 of them, 3 preferred.

for example, I have
Code:
/dev/hda1 - Win2K (~2G)
/dev/hda2 - /boot (~100M or ~200M, I forget)
/dev/hda3 - swap (~512M or so)
/dev/hda4 - / (remainder of 12G drive)
You could also use drive 2.

Hmm yes this will take a little to fix up.. I have a lot of programs all over D E and F .. i'll have to reset them all in Windows.. *Spanks Windows* .. Thanks for the helpfull advice guys.. I really want to get this to work as good as posiable the first time.. i've been though the hell of other installs.. hehe
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandr4ke wrote:
will it automaticlly put the WinXP boot option in there.. or will i need to Edit a config file and manually do it..
You will manually need to configure either Grub (default) or LILO to boot to XP. For example: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Code:
default 0
timeout 3
splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

# Windows 2000 Professional
title=Windows 2000 Professional
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

# Multi boot options follow
# Gentoo Linux
title=Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda4

# Gentoo Linux (Emergency)
title=Gentoo Linux (Emergency)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/bzImage.emergency root=/dev/hda4
For grub. That will boot to Windows by default, Linux as a 2nd option with an 'emergency' linux kernel as well. (my setup if you're wondering)
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 3:56 am    Post subject: HELP!! FDISK!! hehe Reply with quote

OMG well i'm getting a little confused.. Cleared my
(F) Partition.. Unalloc all the space so Linux can have it.. it's about 5 Gigs.. Anyways i started the Install did the basic's and got the Networking stuff done.. Now i hit Fdisk..

the doc's have no FDISK instructions.. and the basic help said
FDISK /dev/hda for first IDE drive..

i tried that, and it said "Unable to open cd:rom"

so i'm like hmmmm.. i have a look in /dev/h* and i get a bunch of different ones...

hda
hdc
hdd
hdg
hdg1
hdg2
hdg5
hdg6
hdh
hdh1

How can i Figure out what is what.. and what is my (F) Drive Partition in Windows that i cleared for Linux.. Any Help is very apprecieated..

Or am i missing something simple like some sort of mounting before FDISK can see my HD's...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For IDE, you have 2 channels on your mobo. Each channel can have 2 devices. Channel 0 is /dev/hda and /dev/hdb, channel 1 is /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd.

Partitions are: 1st partition on hda = /dev/hda1 etc.

Grub is different. The first drive for grub is 0, regardless of the controller it is on. For example, if you had a CD drive and DVD drive connected to channel 0 and 1 (on your mobo) and your first HD was on /dev/hde, Grub would still see that has the first drive.
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
For IDE, you have 2 channels on your mobo. Each channel can have 2 devices. Channel 0 is /dev/hda and /dev/hdb, channel 1 is /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd.

Partitions are: 1st partition on hda = /dev/hda1 etc.

Grub is different. The first drive for grub is 0, regardless of the controller it is on. For example, if you had a CD drive and DVD drive connected to channel 0 and 1 (on your mobo) and your first HD was on /dev/hde, Grub would still see that has the first drive.

ok, but hda when i try FDISK on it.. says cdrom: unable to open,
what are hdg then 1,2,5,6, & hdh ...

I also tried FDISK -l for a list.. and i get a little chart like this, it looks like it sees both my HD's...

Code:
Disk dev/ide/host2/bus1/target0/lun0/disk

Device--------------------------------File System--------Flag

dev/ide/host2/bus1/target0/lun0/part1 NTFS * BOOT------ 7
dev/ide/host2/bus1/target0/lun0/part2 WIN95 Extd (LBA)- F
dev/ide/host2/bus1/target0/lun0/part5 NTFS --------------- 7
dev/ide/host2/bus1/target0/lun0/part6 NTFS --------------- 7

Disk dev/ide/host2/bus1/target1/lun0/disk

dev/ide/host2/bus1/target1/lun0/part1 NTFS--------------- 7

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it looks like it's seeing everything.. I'm guessin that Part 2 with the WIN95 ext'd is the free'd empy space, please correct me if i'm wrong..

but now excatly what do i do to partition that free space.. then make the dev\hda1
... swap
... boot etc....

i'm guessing now that it's hdg.. and hdg1,2,5,6 are the partitions.. but fdisk is so wacky.. hmm where can i get that cfdisk?? Or would i even be able to use that during this pre-setup step... hmmm
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandr4ke wrote:
ok, but hda when i try FDISK on it.. says cdrom: unable to open,
Most likely you have a CDROM plugged into /dev/hda then.

Quote:
what are hdg then 1,2,5,6, & hdh ...
What physical devices do you have and where and to what are they connected?

Quote:
I also tried FDISK -l for a list.. and i get a little chart like this, it looks like it sees both my HD's...

Code:
Disk dev/ide/host2/bus1/target0/lun0/disk

Device--------------------------------File System--------Flag

dev/ide/host2/bus1/target0/lun0/part1 NTFS * BOOT------ 7
dev/ide/host2/bus1/target0/lun0/part2 WIN95 Extd (LBA)- F
dev/ide/host2/bus1/target0/lun0/part5 NTFS --------------- 7
dev/ide/host2/bus1/target0/lun0/part6 NTFS --------------- 7

Disk dev/ide/host2/bus1/target1/lun0/disk

dev/ide/host2/bus1/target1/lun0/part1 NTFS--------------- 7

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it looks like it's seeing everything.. I'm guessin that Part 2 with the WIN95 ext'd is the free'd empy space, please correct me if i'm wrong..
I forget how to translate the /dev/ide/host?/bus?/target? stuff.

Quote:
but now excatly what do i do to partition that free space.. then make the dev\hda1
... swap
... boot etc....
If /dev/hda is your CDROM, then you won't use /dev/hda. If /dev/hda isn't the CDROM, there is a problem.
mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 4:54 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

Ok looks like hdg is the Main HD.. hdh is the second HD.. ie bus 2 on the 4th IDE channel... although fdisk is the worst POS i've ever seen.. oh my lord.. can i use cfdisk in the instance.. and how would i go about using that.. fdisk ,, i'm really going to mess things up with that lol..
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, tried fdisk -l on my system... here's what seems to be the case.

host0/bus0/target0/lun0
appears to be the first channel/device (always /dev/hda ??)

host0/bus1/target0/lun0
is second 2nd controller/1st device (/dev/hdc for me)

host2/bus0/target0/lun0
looks like my ATA/100 controller first channel/device (aka /dev/hde)

cfdisk doesn't exist on the install CD, so thats not likely to happen. I hear it is 'easy' to use. I personally find fdisk easy to use.

What drives (CD, DVD, ZIP, HD) do you have, and where are they physically connected?
mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i have 2 CD's ad 1 DVD those are probably the other's in the list, they are on the main channels..

pretty much i've figured out the basics.. but i don't get fdisk to well.. not linux's anyways.. i'm not sure how to split my 4th partiton into 3 more partitions... and i don't want to do it on the wrong one.. or size it wong.. i just exited the install and i'm back in windows.. i'll find something else to partition it with first.. then i can just mount and install.. argh.. hehe

Does Partition magic 6 or 7 have ext3 file system.. i think i only have version 6 though..
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious what happened to /dev/hde and /dev/hdf. Anyway, what happens if you do an fdisk /dev/hdg or /dev/hdh. If you see 'Command (m for help);, enter p (for print partition table). Then q will quit without saving changes. While your in there, 'm' will show you the menu.
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
I'm curious what happened to /dev/hde and /dev/hdf. Anyway, what happens if you do an fdisk /dev/hdg or /dev/hdh. If you see 'Command (m for help);, enter p (for print partition table). Then q will quit without saving changes. While your in there, 'm' will show you the menu.

hehe well crappy asus MB.. the 1st and 2nd channels are the normal ATA 32 Channels,, and 3nd 4th channels are the HP ATA 100 controller onthe MB,, the 3rd or Primary chanel doesn't work.. so have my HD hooked up the secondary.. It works.. thats all that matters.. hehe

Anyhow.. got most of it figured now.. THANKS!! for all the help.. but 1 last question.. what is the hex # or the file system in FDISK for EXT3 right now i have it on 82 Linux and i i did a make on it for ext3.. but when i try to mount it.. it says it's ext2 and has no journal...
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys,, got it all figured out last night.. got step 1, 2, completed and Step 3 is running now... hopefully the rest won't be to much trouble... *lol*.. Till next time... =)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandr4ke wrote:
hehe well crappy asus MB.. the 1st and 2nd channels are the normal ATA 32 Channels,, and 3nd 4th channels are the HP ATA 100 controller onthe MB,, the 3rd or Primary chanel doesn't work..
That was confusing me a little ;)

Glad all is working so far.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: