Question regarding raw performance
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
contraversy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Question regarding raw performance Reply with quote

Greetings!

I have been a lurker for a while and have always been able to find my answers here with quick searches, but everyone has to ask a noob question now and then. I have always been a big Windows user for my games and other performance dependent things. While I would use Linux as my secondary OS the rest of the time.

In my travels it seems that every distro I have used just could not put out the same performance on my games (for example) when they would run just fine in Windows. Be it through native Steam (TF2 for example) or by using Wine for like World of Warcraft or Starcraft for example.

I have still seen many users who don't have this issue, and they are able to get what seems like full use out of their Graphics cards and other hardware and games run very well. The closest I have ever gotten in performance was using Gentoo so it has been what I have stuck with.

Do games really require higher system performance to run smooth on Linux? Or do I need to take a step back and pay a lot more attention to how my machine is setup and my Operating System is configured? I would like to get rid of Windows all together if possible. Gaming is really the only thing left that I keep Windows for.

I would appreciate any help, links, suggested search terms!!! Thanks

My Current Specs-
AMD A8-5600k Quad Core
Geforce GTX 760
8GB DDR3 RAM
120 GB Kingston SSD with 500 GB Seagate 7200 rpm HDD
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot matters on the hardware you buy.

And software support is kinda always a bit outdated for both worlds. New hardware is bareley supported in both worlds or with bugs and later it is well supported and gets old.

I wouldnt generalize and say that any OS uses full potential of the hardware, or any distro.

I even tried in the past the popular distros and only was with arch-linux a bit satisfied next to gentoo.

And speaking about hardware, these days NVidia + INTEL CPU is the only choice for drivers for both worlds. WEll some amd fans will say buy amd card, but in my expierence Amd lacks support.

I recommended my brother an amd gpu + intel quadcore notebook and lets say in windows since 2 years amd driver problems, with random screen of death (it freezes, no blue screen( or other fancy issues.

And also I would never recommend pure intel system, get a nvidia card and a intel cpu (for notebooks)

Well forgot, I am a notebook user only.

I managed to get my intel gpu + intel cpu on my notebook running but to be honest, it still lags when opening a webbrowser. With i3 its the best so far, but those intel gpus are the worst, and I have one of the newer gpus / cpus.
contraversy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. And to be honest, my AMD freezes with no blue screen either from time to time. My Intel laptop i7 Quad with 8GB of ram was probably the best Gentoo machine I ever had. But I wasn't trying to get pure performance out of that machine.

So in your opinion using Gentoo as my only OS and trying to still be able to play my games is probably a too far fetched idea?
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Question regarding raw performance Reply with quote

Wine is slow because of wineserver - its design, AFAICT :(

contraversy wrote:
I have still seen many users who don't have this issue

Huh? Who?

Quote:
run smooth

Switch to the BFS CPU scheduler - CFS is rubbish for games. Also some more hints of mine.
shazeal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People having no problems using Wine on Linux are actually Unicorns. Anyone saying they have Windows level of performance are lying or miss-informed or both. Generally if you get better performance under Wine it is not rendering correctly (ie missing out certain effects, WoW/Starcraft 2 is a good example of this) which allows it to run a bit faster than normal. Wine should always be slower than Native windows performance.

However checkout Crossover 13 for Linux, it has the CSMT patches, performance wise this is alot closer to Windows in stuff that actually works. It will probably get backported to Wine at some point, but I have always subbed to Crossover so I have no idea how long it takes for stuff to get backported.

For comparison in CO 13 running Final Fantasy XIV i get about 50-60 fps, on Windows 7 I get about 60-80 fps. Standard Wine I get about 25 fps.

Also for BFS with Kernels 3.11 and higher you are better off with CFS, it has been "fixed".
contraversy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Question regarding raw performance Reply with quote

PaulBredbury wrote:
Wine is slow because of wineserver - its design, AFAICT :(

contraversy wrote:
I have still seen many users who don't have this issue

Huh? Who?

Quote:
run smooth

Switch to the BFS CPU scheduler - CFS is rubbish for games. Also some more hints of mine.

Sorry I guess I should have said that I hear many claiming that they get the performance
contraversy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shazeal wrote:
However checkout Crossover 13 for Linux

Hey I get a license to that from my job, never paid much attention to it. Thanks for that!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: