[Solved] Grub2 - Ignore Windows 7 recovery partition
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glenn_s
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: [Solved] Grub2 - Ignore Windows 7 recovery partition Reply with quote

Gentoo Forumers,

I've been a long time lurker here, but I think I may have finally stumbled upon a question worth asking!

I am doing an install of Gentoo on my Lenovo T530 laptop. Gentoo lives on sdb, windows 7 is installed on sda.

Lenovo ships their computer with a second recovery partition in case windows dies (Not quite sure of the logic on this one for a hard drive failure, but I guess that's what backups are for!)

I've been using Legacy GRUB and things have been great. I decided to do the migration to GRUB2 (everybody's been talking about it, and a lot of newer HOWTOs and tutorials reference GRUB2 setup), and I followed the GRUB2 migration handbook with no problem.

GRUB2 wasn't detecting the Windows bootloader at first, but there was an easy fix for that too!

For the record, GRUB is installed on sda, in case it matters.

Anyhow, I ran
Code:
grub2-mkconfig -0 /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
, and restarted the system.

Now, the options in my bootloader screen are as follows:

Gentoo GNU/Linux
Advanced options for Gentoo GNU/Linux
Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)
Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda2)

This is annoying! Both windows 7 loaders will get me into Windows okay, but the menu's all gross and... well, you know, it's not very sleek.

I've already proven to myself that I can manually edit /boot/grub2/grub.cfg to only provide the menu options that I want (Gentoo and Windows 7 on sda1), but this doesn't seem to fit with the mentality of GRUB2, and it gets blown away whenever I reconfigure.

So, my longwinded question is this: Is there any way to have GRUB2 ignore some of the options when it generates its boot menu (and let me rename the annoying Windows 7 options? If it means abandoning os-loader and ntfs3g, I'm fine with that.

Thank you all for your help with everything so far!

-Glenn

Last edited by glenn_s on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi your welcome for the documentation i generated regarding windows. (ive become a bit better at the wiki work now) alas, windows has been purged from my system. ill give support and repair the broken documents via ssh.

my system was all on 1 drive, sda1/sda2/sda3/sda6/sda7 1 & 2 doze, 3 /boot, 6 /, 7 /home

guess no. 1 problem in /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober resulting in 2nd entry.
glenn_s
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the documentation!

I wouldn't know where to begin looking in the os-prober - my understanding is this file is standard with GRUB2, and I haven't mucked inside it at all.

What should I be looking for?

In GRUB's defense, there are two bootable versions of Windows on sda - and both links in GRUB function. I'm just hoping to suppress one of them.
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glenn_s wrote:
I'm just hoping to suppress one of them.

Take a look at this link: http://forums.bodhilinux.com/index.php?/topic/1028-how-to-grub2-hide-windows-recovery-partition/
glenn_s
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: