hardened-3.9.5 powerdown problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atom2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: hardened-3.9.5 powerdown problem Reply with quote

Hallo forum,
powering down my XEN-server from dom0 is unreliable and - as a guess - in 90% of the attempts to powerdown the system it simply result in a reboot instead. Nevertheless sometimes it works - with no apparent change to the system - and actually turns off power as requested. The command from dom0 is as follows:
Code:
shutdown -h now

The alternative approach suggested somewhere using
Code:
powerdown -P -h now

does not change anything.

The runlevel it changes to qaccording to the on-screen messages at the console is 0 in both cases, so that shouldn't be an issue.

In both cases pressing the power button during the following POST (resulting from the attempted reboot ) on the server for a couple of seconds seems to be a solution to power off the machine (clearly unplugging the power plug or turning off the PSU works as well). Using the power-button however works reliably, but prevents me from powering down over an ssh connection. To be on the safe side I do have to be physically where the server is located.

BTW in any case when I start shutdown there's no running domU; all of these have gracefully been brought to a stop prior to the shutdown.

I currently have no clue how to narrow down the issue and would be happy for any suggestions. The strange thing is that the behavious is inconsistent.

Thanks and regards Atom2
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: