14%  [ 1 ]
Idiot
85%
 85%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 7

Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Karl Pilkington. Genius or Idiot? Reply with quote

He's a guy that I find hilarious. Ricky Gervais described him as "a genius who just sees the world differently and has no filter on what he says"
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, he's just a guy. Neither genius nor idiot, but definitely entertaining.
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who don't know of him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hol4h0liWWY
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricky wrote:
Tell me everything you know about Anne Frank
Karl wrote:
She was in a cupboard
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slightly related, ever seen Liam Neeson's improv?
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ T. McKenna
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good actor in the appropriate part
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on 10 - 5, I had to go with idiot. Naturally I'm assuming he's not really an idiot, just a bad comedian. I suspect the link wasn't the best presentation style for his material.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known funnier Germans.

Juniper wrote:
I fail to see the relevance.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Based on 10 - 5, I had to go with idiot. Naturally I'm assuming he's not really an idiot, just a bad comedian. I suspect the link wasn't the best presentation style for his material.
No, he's just like that. He's not acting or anything. He just sees the world differently from the rest of us
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
pjp wrote:
No, he's just like that. He's not acting or anything. He just sees the world differently from the rest of us

No, he's acting. Don't fall for the obvious gimmick, as charming as it might be.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
pjp wrote:
No, he's acting. Don't fall for the obvious gimmick, as charming as it might be.
He's just an ordinary fella. He was their producer on XFM and they gradually started putting him on their radio show
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a better one to listen to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS0VsWlnTVE
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the back story, but he's definitely putting on an act. While the act might include quite a bit of his natural personality, he's intentionally playing the fool.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
I know the back story, but he's definitely putting on an act. While the act might include quite a bit of his natural personality, he's intentionally playing the fool.
Do you think he can play anything else? He's obviously quite... "simple"
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricky Gervais wrote:
week one hundred and thirty-eight - September/October 2010

A Confession

Some people have correctly spotted that An Idiot Abroad is totally scripted. It took ages to write too. Each episode of The Office took us about 2 months to write but they were only 30 minutes long. This show is nearly an hour so each script took us about 3 and a half months to write. Casting was a lot harder too. Just finding that indian actor that looked like Bill Oddie took 8 weeks. It was also a bit embarrassing auditioning people and asking them to wrap their cocks round a walking stick. Still, it will all be worth it when Steve and I win all the BAFTAs again for writing and directing.

I'm a lot prouder of creating the "Pilkington" character (that's not his real name, of course), than I am of David Brent probably. (Although ironically, David Brent isn't a character at all. I am just like that in real life so I didn't have to write any lines for that one. In fact I didn't realise The Office was a sitcom at the time. The BBC just came to my place of work and filmed me selling paper. I've certainly milked becoming famous off the back of that lucky break, right?)

So yeah, Karl is completely fake. When you meet him off camera he's a bit like Steven Fry. We just get him to act dim to make money. All the podcasts and audiobooks were completely scripted too. If you listen carefully you can hear us turning the pages. The good thing about those were that we didn't have to learn the lines by heart as we weren't in vision. A lot easier than in An Idiot Abroad where Karl not only has to learn the whole script but often only gets one take because we only have all those extras for a few hours.

The tricky bit is when he's interviewed on radio and TV. We have to get the presenter in on it so they ask him the right questions. Luckily every single one has gone along with it and never given the secret away. Thanks. But I just thought it was time to come clean. I'm ashamed that I ever lied to you. Sorry.

"Karl" will find it difficult getting different roles in other scripted comedies and dramas as we have typecast him so much over the last few years, so please buy the audiobooks and DVDs as he will need the money.

I'm glad the charade is over as I won't need to pretend to find my best mate funny anymore. It's hard laughing at lines you've written yourself. Obviously I don't find him funny at all and we are not really friends. Thanks for watching all this time suckers, and well done to the really smart people who knew all this all along. You got me! You are brilliant.

Ricky.

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
I don't believe it, but I don't find him funny, regardless if he's truly an idiot or trying to pretend to be one.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's overplayed as well, and it's not that funny as Ricky Gervais claims to be. Gervais has some really good moments, like tearing it up at Oscars and stuff, but much of his other stuff is just cringeworthy and not in new and fresh way. To me, Eddie Izzard is way better at deconstructing things like society, religion, culture, etc. Maybe it's just personal preference thing.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it at all, but I don't go around laughing at others inadequacies, which seems to be the thrust of the humour here.

And apart from the actual delivery of the lines, the words that any MC at the Oscars speaks are not in any way improvised or ad-libbed. It's a lovey fest with fake indignation at the feeble barbs.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
I think it's overplayed as well, and it's not that funny as Ricky Gervais claims to be. Gervais has some really good moments, like tearing it up at Oscars and stuff, but much of his other stuff is just cringeworthy and not in new and fresh way. To me, Eddie Izzard is way better at deconstructing things like society, religion, culture, etc. Maybe it's just personal preference thing.

Do you have a flag?
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Prenj wrote:

Do you have a flag?

:lol: that one was pure genius
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed.

McKenna nailed it as well describing the "dominator culture".
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Indeed.

Yeah, heres another one, the last bit about Clinton comes off even stronger nowadays in the light of recent developments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gE7r1CknQs
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:

I like most of both :)
Wasn't he the guy Ricky Gervais sent around the world and let him stay in the worst accommodations, using the worst way to travel and meet the strangest people? Like in the desert they could have used a land rover but he had to travel by camel...
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disi wrote:
Prenj wrote:

I like most of both :)
Wasn't he the guy Ricky Gervais sent around the world and let him stay in the worst accommodations, using the worst way to travel and meet the strangest people? Like in the desert they could have used a land rover but he had to travel by camel...

Yep, that's the guy. That show was "An Idiot Abroad". He's also a regular on one of Gervais' older shows on the radio.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
Muso wrote:
Indeed.

Yeah, heres another one, the last bit about Clinton comes off even stronger nowadays in the light of recent developments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gE7r1CknQs

Brilliant, as expected.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: