View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: AGW, Science is settled? Reply with quote

The below link is discussing things of point:

Proxies
Decay of CO2, lag of vs T
Models
IPCC predictions.

All by Salby. Professor in Atmospheric physics in Australia. A purposely scientist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2ROw_cDKwc0

I do agree with a lot. Things I do not:

The curves "observed" seems way off at times.

All in all, I think he got some evidence of that Temerature cause CO2, not the opposite or the trigger of the same (T).
One more thing, as the C02 rise, the less meaning it has to the global mean temp. Long term of time
[·edit-] I am not a scientist [/proclamation]
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you hear about Salby?
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:

Make a guess
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got something to hide?
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ofcourse. We are 'La Resistance' lol
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
Got something to hide?
Sounds like you're mostly interested in trying to dismiss based on your bias of an indirect source.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:

Maybe from the cover of one of his two widely-used textbooks on Atmospheric and Climate Physics (see Cambridge University Press), or any of his other scholarly publications?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
mcgruff wrote:
Got something to hide?
Sounds like you're mostly interested in trying to dismiss based on your bias of an indirect source.

Only mcgruff has teh Scyents.
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:

In fact I already know where he got it; I didn't know if he would admit to it.

You ought to know by now that I don't have any bias about climate science, or any other, science. You also ought to know what science is, and what proper scientific sources are. I've told you often enough. Honestly this is just f*cking painful. If it's not peer-reviewed and published in a reputable journal it's not a valid scientific argument. A guy standing at a podium with his dick in his hand is a cabaret show, for those that like that sort of thing.

Shitby has been trying (and failing) to get his crackpot ideas about CO2 published for some time now. No doubt a paper will turn up in Energy & Environment once he's given up on the serious journals.
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KrazyKracker wrote:
Only mcgruff has teh Scyents.

Kind of shooting yourself in the foot there, aren't you?
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, back in the real world.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a little weak-ass ad hominem (against an extensively published scientist who is Chair of Climate Science at a university) is all you got? You can't even manage to cut and paste somebody's criticism of his position for us? :?
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think he said which would present a serious challenge to current thinking in climate science?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I think is not the issue here. I am simply making a note of the fact that you don't appear to have any argument against his claims.
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I note that you don't even know what any of his claims are. Point me to just one thing he's published which contradicts climate orthodoxy. Just one thing. Surely you can do that?

Standing around with your dick in your hand seems to be a popular pastime around these parts. No-wonder you like Shitby.

PS: that's not an ad-hom it's an abbreviation

PPS: "Full-of-Shitby"
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
And I note that you don't even know what any of his claims are. Point me to just one thing he's published which contradicts climate orthodoxy. Just one thing. Surely you can do that?

I agree that the fact that he hasn't yet published findings and has only partially completed his research supporting these claims diminishes the credibility of the position. But he's not misrepresenting this as anything but a hypothesis that he is investigating because there appears to be a lot of evidence suggesting it.

mcgruff wrote:
Standing around with your dick in your hand seems to be a popular pastime around these parts. No-wonder you like Shitby.

I never said I like Salby. I'm just making observations about your contribution to this discussion thus far. All I see from you so far is childish effrontery.

Point of fact: Your the one who jumped in here and made a completely unsubstantiated claim that a respected professor who is the Chair of Climate Science at a university, who is the author of two textbooks published by Cambridge University Press on the Atmospheric and Climate Physics, and who has a long history of serious, credible, peer-reviewed publication, is nothing but a quack.

Point of fact: You made no attempt to refute or point to refutation of his hypothesis, to substantiate your claim.

Point of fact: You fail to differentiate at all between this man's hypothesis and the assinine journalist-trolls creating inflammatory rhetoric from it.

Frankly, other than the valid point you made that he has not yet published findings on this hypothesis (and yet is out speaking about it), and you could have simply said just that without making an ass of yourself, I don't see that you've added anything at all to this discussion. You are just being a noisome irritant, like a crow squawking because it wants some of a carcass it could never hunt down itself.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What heatwave in Australia? It was most unremarkable except for a very few days. A blip maybe, not a cause for so much sabre rattling.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it might hit 130 degrees F in Death Valley. Which would be completely remarkable if the 1913 temperature didn't hit 134 degrees F.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Well it might hit 130 degrees F in Death Valley. Which would be completely remarkable if the 1913 temperature didn't hit 134 degrees F.

Isn't temperature measured in the shade? No shade in Death Valley. Plus, wouldn't the temperature be measured manually, using analogue equipment in 1913? The poor guy would have scrambled brains in that heat.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
Muso wrote:

Isn't temperature measured in the shade? No shade in Death Valley. Plus, wouldn't the temperature be measured manually, using analogue equipment in 1913? The poor guy would have scrambled brains in that heat.

So you're saying it could have even been higher?

Quote:
The hottest air temperature ever recorded in Death Valley was 134 °F (57 °C) on July 10, 1913, at Furnace Creek,[4] which is currently the hottest temperature ever recorded in the world.[4] During the heat wave that peaked with that record, five consecutive days reached 129 °F (54 °C) or above.

Amazing 'eh? Almost like there's a pattern involved. 1913/2013
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm saying it could have been a lot lower. Or higher. Or it was just a "fuck it's hot, lets put down a number higher than 50" guess.

The trouble with ambient temperatures higher than 50 is that I don't personally think they exist on Earth. Not measured in the way temperatures are measured now, and I have no scientific paper to prove or disprove, I just think that >50C is inimical to human life. Meat cooks at such temperatures, albeit slowly.
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temperature measurements in the USA are the best. The coldest horse puke in your neighbourhood defines 0 degrees, while the warm shit of a sick horse defines 100 degrees. Or something like that. Metaphysics made in USA. LOL USA
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
I agree that the fact that he hasn't yet published findings and has only partially completed his research supporting these claims diminishes the credibility of the position.

He's unpublished not because the research is only "partially completed" (!) but because it's a crock of shit. You'll just have to trust me on that one.

Like anyone else, he's free to stand on a stage with his dick in his hand but that is not the point. Science doesn't work like that. You have to present a formal, detailed argument which can survive the basic sanity-check of peer review. The fact that he claims to have new, consensus-shattering theories but is only doing lecture tours speaks dick-waving volumes.

BoneKracker wrote:
But he's not misrepresenting this as anything but a hypothesis that he is investigating because there appears to be a lot of evidence suggesting it.

Which of his ideas do you think contradict the climate orthodoxy?

I predict you'll have forgotten all about Shitby in a year's time and will have moved on to a new generation of unpublished dick-wavers who claim to have important, game-changing information about climate. Meanwhile we'll still have Mann, the hockey stick, a bunch of new weather records and extremes, and the planet will still be getting warmer.
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
What heatwave in Australia? It was most unremarkable except for a very few days. A blip maybe, not a cause for so much sabre rattling.

It was the hottest summer on record. The hottest January on record. The hottest month on record. The hottest day on record. The longest national-scale heatwave. There is a clear temperature trend with the consequence that extreme once-in-1000-years events are now occurring once every dozen years or so (just like climate scientists predicted they would).

What heatwave..?!
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:

It was the hottest summer on record. The hottest January on record. The hottest month on record. The hottest day on record. The longest national-scale heatwave. There is a clear temperature trend with the consequence that extreme once-in-1000-years events are now occurring once every dozen years or so (just like climate scientists predicted they would).

What heatwave..?!

Hottest where? It's a continent.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: