wireless in the shell
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mreff555
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: wireless in the shell Reply with quote

So I am trying to set up wireless access through the console. After hours of work I sorta got it working, but I have a lot of questions

1. I can only get wpa_supplicant to work with the nl80211 driver. well, actually that one and wext is the the only ones I tried. Everybody makes it sound like not using wext will make my computer explode or cause kittens to die. what are the downsides of using this driver? I have an "Intel Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300". I'm pretty sure I have the right firmware installed.

2. I have been able to get wpa_supplicant running using a command like

Code:

wpa_supplicant -Dnl80211 -iwlp4s0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

however I can't get the daemon to run. What file and what syntax is needed to tell the daemon to use nl80211.

3. should wpa_supplicant be in the default runlevel (that may not be the correct terminology)
Code:

rc-update add wpa_supplicant default                           <--------good?

Since it takes about 5 to 10 seconds to start I was worried that dhcpcd would be starting before it was ready.

4. Ok this makes no sense. At least I don't think it does. When I manually start wpa_supplicant with the command above, and then manually start dhcpcd, I get a working ethernet connection. (yes I can get outside my network)
Here is the weird part. Completely different subnet. My router is 10.0.0.1 /24. I was assigned 192.x.x.x(there were numbers there. I'm on a different computer now and don't remember). Does this make sense to anyone? I still don't see how that's possible.

Thanks,
fr3eatlast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mreff,

The only luck I have ever had getting wpa_supplicant to work from the console was with the nl80211 driver, and none of my computers have exploded and afaik i haven't killed any kittens lol. In fact, I have experienced better performance with that driver than with wext on both my laptop and a desktop that has a usb wifi device.

I have wpa_supplicant in the default runlevel on both of those computers, and both are configured to use dhcp to obtain and IP address from the router. So I don't have dhcpcd in the default runlevel because wpa_supplicant will call it when it is needed afaik.

As far as the random IP for your computer, I really have no idea, sorry.
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nl80211 is the modern configuration interface. wext is only for backwards compatibility and it does not support regulatory domains.

I suggest that you use /etc/init.d/net.* scripts instead of wpa_supplicant's init script. For an example, see code listings 2.2 and 2.3 here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=4&chap=4

The wpa_passphrase utility can generate a wpa_supplicant.conf for you.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, it is fairly common for a commercial router to have two internal 10. interfaces in addition to the external lan and wan. These can sometimes be seen with traceroute sometimes not.

Last edited by DONAHUE on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
mreff555
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chithanh wrote:
nl80211 is the modern configuration interface. wext is only for backwards compatibility and it does not support regulatory domains.

I suggest that you use /etc/init.d/net.* scripts instead of wpa_supplicant's init script. For an example, see code listings 2.2 and 2.3 here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=4&chap=4

The wpa_passphrase utility can generate a wpa_supplicant.conf for you.

I will check that out. Thanks.
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: wireless in the shell Reply with quote

mreff555 wrote:
3. should wpa_supplicant be in the default runlevel (that may not be the correct terminology)
Code:

rc-update add wpa_supplicant default                           <--------good?

Since it takes about 5 to 10 seconds to start I was worried that dhcpcd would be starting before it was ready.

You don't need to worry about dhcpcd - if it's just dhcpcd without an interface specified, it's actually smart enough to get the IP address once your wireless comes up (or switch to wired when you plug in the cable).
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you use the gentoo net scripts you should have neither dhcpcd nor wpa_supplicant in a run level. the net script will control starting them.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: