Wanna help a noob with modules?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregymann
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Wanna help a noob with modules? Reply with quote

Hey all,

I am very new to linux in general. I'm installing on an ASUS G75VW laptop. I used genkernel and I'm trying to configure the modules. I have no clue what modules i am supposed to be loading. Any guidence would be greatly appreciated
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my off the record response is load xubuntu iso, try it... run lsmod, and it will say what modules are loaded, pastebin it... then write down the url. boot back to gentoo & then hit '/' in kernel configuration type out the module names to hunt them down in the kernel config. beware of sata controllers and file systems, as you need them to boot your system, dont module those, compile them in.
gregymann
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

666threesixes666 wrote:
my off the record response is load xubuntu iso, try it... run lsmod, and it will say what modules are loaded, pastebin it... then write down the url. boot back to gentoo & then hit '/' in kernel configuration type out the module names to hunt them down in the kernel config. beware of sata controllers and file systems, as you need them to boot your system, dont module those, compile them in.

Ok.....so where do i start back once reboot the gentoo installation cd? Im assuming i need to mount everything again
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you do not need to do anything with modules if doing a handbook install using genkernel -all. Handbook step, 7.d. Kernel Modules, is optional and should be skipped. Auto will take care of you.
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genkernel includes a huge amount of modules (for all possible hardware configuration) so you get a bloated kernel and a lot of modules that do not need.
Since you have a gentoo installed and successfully bootable, boot into, navigate to /usr/src and build the kernel suitable for your hardware.
You can start with "make localmodconfig". It will produce .config depending on your hardware. Once you will get new .config, rebuild kernel (and install modules as well) and reboot with your new kernel. Look at lsmod output - it should show a less modules than you have now.
After that you can rebuild kernel once more (fine tuning), this time with "make menuconfig".

P.S.
Before running "make localmodconfig" connect all the external devices you planning to use. Usb, hid-devices and so on.
P.P.S.
genkernel builds kernel images and initramfs and moves them to /boot.
If you will decide to build your own kernel you should build them yourself and move to /boot. As well as run "make modules_install".
All the steps described in gentoo wiki
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: