Trinity Desktop Environment - Overlays?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
svxs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Trinity Desktop Environment - Overlays? Reply with quote

Does anyone happen to know what the most up-to-date portage overlay for TDE is?

I've found many of them floating around the net, with the most recent being updated last year. (https://github.com/Fat-Zer/trinity) Is there another that's more active?

(for anyone confused about TDE - it's a fork of KDE 3.5 with modern features, etc)
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should the overlay be more active than the project it holds ebuilds for?
I really would NOT recommend using trinity. It is mostly a one-man-show. Timothy has to "support" all kde3 - er - tde projects (desktop, kwin, apps like konqueror (including KHTML!!!!), konversation, kmail, ...) and even Qt3 (HE IS Qt3 upstream...). Given the quality of his code I would say he is not able to manage security issues. It will be high risk running tde.
Martin Grasslin (kwin maintainer) wrote some posts about trinity - just google ;)

Why do you want to use TDE? Why not KDE4? Or razot-qt?

My overlay
tomk
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Desktop Environments to Unsupported Software, questions about overlays belong in US.
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trinity is pretty much dead and does not contain most of the security fixes that went into KDE4.
Funk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it so hard to understand that many of us were happily using KDE3.5 and now use Trinity daily, we do not like the abomination which became KDE4.
Even though it has problems it is still better than the alternatives in many ways.

Gentoo was supposed to be about choice.
But clearly we are not allowed to choose any slow moving projects.
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funk wrote:
Gentoo was supposed to be about choice.
But clearly we are not allowed to choose any slow moving projects.

Did you pay for anything or how could you come to the conclusion that anyone was obliged to support your decade-old software dreams?
tcoulon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which proves paid (and usually closed) software is BETTER. In the "free" world, whenever you don't swim with the main group, this is what you get: you did not pay for it. so shut up! Great.

I use several "decade-old software", and this because many are better than today's stuff. Besides, TDE is *NOT* decade old - remember Unix was born in the 1970s? So Linux is "decade old software", right?
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcoulon wrote:
Which proves paid (and usually closed) software is BETTER. In the "free" world, whenever you don't swim with the main group, this is what you get: you did not pay for it. so shut up! Great.

Without a contract, no one owes you support for dead software. In fact, when you (or a group of people) are the only one being interested in a piece of software, but lack the capacity to maintain it yourself, your only chance can be to hire someone to do that work for you. In that case, that software is actually alive and kicking (it is called KDE SC 4.x), so insisting on your right to remain at one point in its history of development (and let others do the work for you) is even more arrogant.

tcoulon wrote:
I use several "decade-old software", and this because many are better than today's stuff. Besides, TDE is *NOT* decade old - remember Unix was born in the 1970s? So Linux is "decade old software", right?

Seriously? :lol: So let's compare git commit stats between TDE and Linux... TDE then basically doesn't exist.
tux2015
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is kde-sunset overlay (http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/kde-sunset.git) which was last updated in February this year. I use it to install quanta+ and knetattach, I am very used to these packages. I don't like bloated abomination called KDE 4 or GNOME 3. I use MATE as desktop environment. Because I use only text editor I hope this isn't serious security threat to my system. MATE is more actively maintained. I am sure today's bloated DEs have more security holes than MATE as it is mature and simple software. GNOME 3 and KDE 4 are so ugly, cumbersome, and inconvenient to use. I have no idea how they can be used.
tux2015
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcoulon wrote:
Which proves paid (and usually closed) software is BETTER.

Actually, no. In that case you depend on developer's decisions too. Commercial company may update software and discontinue maintenance of old version too. It is even worse because with closed source software you will not be able to maintain it yourself and/or hire third party developers.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: