T2000 hangs attempting to mount disk
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cb88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: T2000 hangs attempting to mount disk Reply with quote

So from the get go it attempts to mount /dev/sda which is an unformatted scsi disk.

Then once I pass cdroot=/dev/hda it still hangs... I was able to boot to a shell on the cd and mount /dev/hda /somefolder and it worked.... so clearly it is an issue with the boot scripts as far as I can tell.

Any pointers?
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cat /etc/fstab.... it will define disks to check & mount or not. # in front of /dev/sda statement will stop it
cb88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that would be simple on an installed system but I'd have to rebuild the CD im using to do that...

Perhaps I can increase the debug level

edit: if I boot with gentoo debug

I get this in fstab from the intramfs
# cat /etc/fstab
/dev/ram0 / ext2 defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

and this is the output of mount after I mounted the cd

proc on /proc type proc (noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (noexec,nosuid,nodev)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (exec,nosuid,mode=0755,size=10M)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (gid=5,mode=0620)
/dev/hda on /mnt/cd type iso9660 (ro)

I was able to mount the cd on loop0 and then pass that as the block device to use as root... however ran into some more issues.
cb88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to boot and install the 20130822 iso... without any issues. Haven't gotten a kernel or silo built yet but it should work.
cb88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get kernel 3.9.11 working.. kernels after that don't work with SMP though you can force them to run on a single core. there is already a bug report about it. https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=61501

I attached my .config since it seems pretty hard to find one that is working and though this one probably isn't very trim due to my trying out alot of things I know it works at least. I wish files could be attached on this forum.

http://pastebin.com/d6TkyZkw
GenTimJS
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, do you have any kind of framebuffer/videodevice in your T2000?

If so, what kind?

Or are you doing everything over serial terminal?
cb88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I boot it over a serial (4way USB converter to a windows laptop).... after that ssh. I intend to put a newish radeon card in there at some point though... won't work for solaris but it should work on gentoo *crosses fingers*

I think the authority on the subject of video cards is probably davem I've seem him do radeon fixes for sparc before... and he seems to think that it should work basically you'll just have to try it out and hope things work there is a chance you'll run into issues though unfortunately since few people run video cards on these boxes. If you want a card that works with solaris... X3000A and X3777 are the models of cards that should work according to here: https://community.oracle.com/thread/2557075

Bear in mind those are basically very old radeon cards... the X3000A for instance is a workstation class GPU with 128mb vram for perspective i think it also only supports opengl 1.5 on solaris (I imagine mesa would support most of opengl 2.x at least on it though on Linux). If you don't care about console access from your video card and just want to boot up blind with linux or over serial then get a more modern card.

Also from the kernel bug tracker we should be able to upgrade to the latest kernels now! Which will mean better video card support as well.
Quote:
dustin 2014-03-25 16:55:56 UTC

I can confirm that 3.14-rc8 fixed the issue, thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: