Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
performance data about qemu user mode network?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fpemud
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: performance data about qemu user mode network? Reply with quote

I think the performance of qemu user mode network should be good enough for everyday use, so there's no need for me to bother configure the tap interface.

My internet connection is adsl which has a 400K bytes per second download speed for general.
How much CPU would the "user mode nework module" in qemu take when the download is in guest machine?
could it be lower than 10%?

I have a relative high (70%~) host cpu usage, but I don't know if it is taken by the download program or the qemu itself.
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple thoughts, use "top" to identify CPU using processes, and apply the golden rule of optimization. That is to say, assume it's good enough for right now and if it turns out you need to optimize, do so after :)

To elaborate on top, perhaps you would want to download a large file manually with wget and identify the CPU usage difference between that condition and otherwise idle.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: