Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
It's 400 ppm. Do you know where your life preserver is?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: It's 400 ppm. Do you know where your life preserver is? Reply with quote

Climate Milestone: Earth’s CO2 Level Passes 400 ppm
Quote:
The last time the concentration of Earth's main greenhouse gas reached this mark, horses and camels lived in the high Arctic. Seas were at least 30 feet higher—at a level that today would inundate major cities around the world.

The planet was about 2 to 3 degrees Celsius (3.6 to 5.4 degrees Fahrenheit) warmer. But the Earth then was in the final stage of a prolonged greenhouse epoch, and CO2 concentrations were on their way down. This time, 400 ppm is a milepost on a far more rapid uphill climb toward an uncertain climate future.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camels in teh high Artic?!!

WE'RE ALL GOING TO FUCKING DIE!!!!

You know what else happened in the late Pliocene, at exactly that same time? The Quaternary Ice Age began (the ice age we are in now, although we're in an interglacial period at the moment) and some apes became men.

What was life like before the Ice Age? It was two or three degrees warmer and substantially more humid. Land was mostly covered with vegetation: forests and jungles, teeming with life. Land-based animals were far more abundant than now, and thriving.

Then, toward the end of the Pliocene (around the time the CO2 levels dropped to present levels), global cooling started killing off the forests, leaving in their place dry and rapidly-eroding wasteland. Once abundant life happily living in veritable gardens of Eden how faced scarcity of everything: water was being sucked up by the growing ice caps; plants that needed the water were dying, leaving nothing for herbivores to eat; carnivores, consequently had nothing to eat, and were forced to search and fight for food. Vast stretches of the Earth's surface became virtually uninhabitable wasteland (which we refer to as "deserts" and "plains"). This late-Pliocene climate, with terrestrial life half killed off and barely able to eek out an existence, clustered around water sources and coastal areas for survival, is the climate we live in today. As a result of this hardship, the first tool-using semi-intelligent hominids evolved -- Homo habilis.

Then the cooling continued, and we descended into the Quaternary Ice Age, which we are still in today. Over the past two and a half million years, we have oscillated in and out of glacial periods where even more deforestation and desertification occurs, killing off most land-based life (in terms of volume, but also eradicating many species incapable of adapting to the colder climate or competing for food), and interglacial periods in which the climate has been similar to the late Pliocene, allowing land-based life to come back (in terms of numbers, but also eradicating species incapable of adapting back to the warmer climate). We are in one of those interglacial periods now.

Over the two million years of challenges presented by repeated climate change, going back and forth from glacial to interglacial periods, hominids evolved from Homo habilis through a diverging, re-converging series of subspecies to become you and I -- Homo sapiens sapiens.

So what then does this high level of CO2 mean? Could it mean the ice age is finally over? Perhaps. It probably at least means we are not about to descend into yet another glacial period, which would be quite likely to wipe out human civilization as we know it, and kill off the vast majority of the human population.

If we do return to the Pliocene climate (not the late, cooling Pliocene, but the lush, vibrant Pliocene), it does indeed mean sea levels will rise. Our coastal cities will certainly be under water. But it also means that water will be abundant, vegetation will be abundant, savannas will fill with trees and become forests and jungles, deserts will bloom and become grasslands, rivers will run where none have been millions of years. Animals will thrive, with abundant food, water and heat energy. Man, unless he is unable to migrate and adapt to the slightly warmer climate, will thrive.

The real threat is that such abundance could cause us to evolve into something less intelligent and less generally capable than we are today. That is, assuming this rise in CO2 levels is indeed enough to actually end the current Ice Age and prevent us from descending into yet another glacial period.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
The real threat is that such abundance could cause us to evolve into something less intelligent

Seen the 'Jeremy Kyle show' recently ?
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you need a life preserver? Surely a houseboat would be more sensible.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:roll: Why would you need a houseboat? Surely walking inland would be more sensible.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously none of you guys watched the epic film classic, Waterworld, from which you'd learn that the right answer is a catamaran, if you are an a rugged individualist, or a used oil tanker, if you are a nasty, immoral authoritarian collectivist.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the worst models predict "Waterworld" as a scenario, do they?

I actually liked the movie, but then I liked The Postman too. But not Bodyguard. Never that. *shudder*

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I don't think the worst models predict "Waterworld" as a scenario, do they?

I don't know, but Al Gore built his house on top of a 500 foot cliff or something. We shouldn't take any chances; the new building codes should require all houses to be boat-like in shape and capable of floating.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: