32-bit readline:5 missing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krokoziabla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: 32-bit readline:5 missing Reply with quote

I have an application which requires 32-bit libreadline.so.5 library. I'm using multilib profile so in the theory I guess I should have both 32- and 64- bit library versions compiled for any library. I've installed sys-libs/readline-5.2_p14:5 version and now I have /usr/lib64/libreadline.so.5 file. But its counterpart is absent in /usr/lib32.

I've also checked 'multilib' overlay and indeed there also the fifth version is absent (although 4.3_p5 and several 6.x versions are present). And I nearly accepted the apparent reason that it wasn't supported until I learnt from http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sys-libs/readline that 5.2_p14 version was present and actually was stable on x86 platform.

So maybe there is a way to get the version using portage?

You probably would say something like "You can build it yourself from the sources." I know, but I first would like to try gentoo-style way.

Thank you.
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a few options I can think of:

Download a prebuilt binary for another OS that's close enough in age to likely be built with compatible dependencies

Compile from source (I recommend this - just install it to /usr/local and it will keep things relatively clean for you - if/when you want to uninstall, everything should be in /usr/local so it's easy to remove). If you want to manually place the files in lib32 you'll be able to see them all easily.

Install a 32 bit chroot gentoo, compile it inside there, quickpkg it up, then take all the files from the package and put them where you want them (or set a new install root location while emerging that package and get all the files in one spot that way). This is what I *would* recommend if it weren't a pain to set up the chroot in the first place - if you think you might have a use for it later, do this!

There's another possible option but I don't recommend it - it used to work to pass some manual CFLAGS and get a package compiled as 32 bit, but I think it would be smart to stay away from that for a system package. I'm not sure it would install things in the right spot or not. Maybe in conjunction with a different install root this might be an okay option. If you break readline for 64 bit you could have worse problems and find yourself ripping files out of a stage3 to make things work again.

Whichever way you go, you'll probably learn a trick or two, so I don't think it's a waste of time at least.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: