[solved] volume fn keys not working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistake25
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: [solved] volume fn keys not working Reply with quote

Hi,

i have problem with using fn keys to control volume mute/increase/decrease, I have asus k52jc. I'm unable to get keycode using xev, or similar software, perhaps these keys generates acpi events, is there way how can I get acpi event form each of fn buttons, and then, what I have to setup to make it work? On the other hand fn keys for disabling wireless and brightness control works.

Thanks

Last edited by mistake25 on Sun May 06, 2012 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
xman1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are experiencing my exact same problem I describe here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-922132.html

xbindkeys will work in X for you. Here is the code snippet for controlling volume in X for the xbindkeys config file:

Code:
"amixer -q set Master 2- unmute"
XF86AudioLowerVolume

"amixer -q set Master 2+ unmute"
XF86AudioRaiseVolume

"amixer -q set Master toggle"
XF86AudioMute

I find that if you are using Pulseaudio that you will need to change the 2 to maybe 2000 (It seems to have 65535 levels of volume in Pulse and incrementing by only 2 might take you some time :D ).

I still can't control volume in games though with these function keys. Let me know if you find a solution.

-X
mistake25
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried it with no success, I think if I'm able to use xbindkeys, then I would be able to set keyboard shortcuts in gnome administration, but when I try to set shortcut for volume control and press fn+f10-f12 (keys for volume control), nothing happens and it still waits for me to press key, otherwise I'm able to set here any other keys as shortcuts except fn keys ... any other idea?
xman1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing I can think of based on what you say there is that some sort of multimedia key support is missing from your kernel. Pull up your kernel config and take a look.

Specifically make sure all HID devices are added.

-X
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
some need to read Fn key. It say that most of the Fn keys do not generate scancode. So, they cannot be remapped. The one who does can be remapped from the BIOS setup. The BIOS seem's to be the only one who understand the Fn keys. So, the Fn keys are out of control of the Linux kernel and Xorg in general if not all the time.

Last edited by Logicien on Sat May 05, 2012 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
xman1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not send a scancode, but read it again.... It changes the scan code of the second key pressed.

You may be on to something on his laptop though as maybe he can use an alternate setting in the BIOS.

My fn key functions fine. It just stops functioning in various x games.

-X
mistake25
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have checked kernel, tried enabling all HID devices, but still not working. Otherwise I forgot to let you know that some of fn keys are working:
sleep button, wifi switch, brightness control (these works and doesn't produce scancode)
insert and scroll lock (I have these 2 buttons as fn combination, these works and produce scancode)
all others are not working and doesn't produce scancode (volume and multimedia control, touchpad switch, calc)
I have read a bit about it and if I understood it right, fn keys which doesn't produce scancode produces some acpi events or something like this, but I have no idea how to find out and match these events, any idea?
thanks
mistake25
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry it was my fault I have forgot to build kernel with "platform specific" drivers for asus
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also having this issue or similar. Could it be due to upgrading from udev-171 to udev-197 ?

Weirdly enough it looks like the keys are seen by shortcut grabbers (like Xfce application shortcuts) but pressing the keys no longer brings the notification popup nor change the volume. I never had to do anything special (or at least nothing that I noticed) to have those keys change the sound volume (hence popping up the notification window).
wpkzz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Same problem. Reply with quote

I have an asus N76VZ, and after reinstalling gentoo (I had a crazy first install, so I did it again) and getting virtual/udev-197r3 and sys-fs/udev-200 xev doesn't get any signal from most of the "multimedia" keys. The only ones who work properly are RaiseVolume, LowerVolume, Mute and ScreenOff. But touchpad-off, screenbrightness, keyboard brightness, sleepmode, screentoggle, and wifi switch are all as deaf as a brick. I'll check my kernel and get back to you after some testing.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: