View previous topic :: View next topic  
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
You're exaggerating.

not really

http://cdn.hollywoodite.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/101-Stars-Without-Makeup-In-Touch-Weekly.jpg

http://www.starswithoutmakeup.net/

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
something that does not use a toy calibre. So the G36 is out.

First, a 7.26 mm firearm is going to be too bulky to fulfill the home defense role, and will likely over penetrate.

I also recommend looking into intelligent round design:

The Mk318 round (United States) is a 5.56 mm two stage system. The front half shatters on impact creating a snowstorm of copper and lead. It serves to either devastate soft tissue or weaken a solid barrier. While this is happening, the copper back half of the round continues to penetrate through the aforementioned snowstorm. Supposedly, it can impact a barrier at an angle and maintain course.

The Federal Fusion round (United States) is a .223 round (which can fire out of 5.56 mm chambers) that has a lead core and a copper jacket. The copper jacket is chemically bonded to the lead core so that as the round expands it maintains its mass. This causes a round that has mushroomed to travel deeper.

I keep a loaded magazine of Federal Fusion for home defense.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for home defense, any assault rifle is overkill.

For other uses - why was 5.56 introduced? To carry more amunition and short range work.

And it is good for that. You can spray a group of charging russians while they close in, or creep around in the jungle without an APC carrying ammunition for you. Well done.

But look at Afghanistan - suddenly the 5.56 showed it weakness. And it isn't only its short range. How big a tree has to be to be considered save from a 5.56? What about brick walls? Brick walls like in urban battlefields?

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

warrens
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For home defence a 12-guage shotgun is perfect, anything else is for long range work.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

My Bias #1
The best government is the government that governs least.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:

First, a 7.26 mm firearm is going to be too bulky to fulfill the home defense role, and will likely over penetrate.

I also recommend looking into intelligent round design:

The Mk318 round (United States) is a 5.56 mm two stage system. The front half shatters on impact creating a snowstorm of copper and lead. It serves to either devastate soft tissue or weaken a solid barrier. While this is happening, the copper back half of the round continues to penetrate through the aforementioned snowstorm. Supposedly, it can impact a barrier at an angle and maintain course.

The Federal Fusion round (United States) is a .223 round (which can fire out of 5.56 mm chambers) that has a lead core and a copper jacket. The copper jacket is chemically bonded to the lead core so that as the round expands it maintains its mass. This causes a round that has mushroomed to travel deeper.

I keep a loaded magazine of Federal Fusion for home defense.
You don't know what you're talking about.
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Men: When you first meet a woman (and you are single) make up your mind whether or not she is worth dating or not within the first 30 seconds. She's worth it? Good, you have the next minute and a half to impress her before she throws you into the non-datable category.

For Women: Base your taste on men on which ones you respect the most, your feelings will follow naturally.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
But look at Afghanistan - suddenly the 5.56 showed it weakness. And it isn't only its short range. How big a tree has to be to be considered save from a 5.56? What about brick walls? Brick walls like in urban battlefields?

First, you seem to be referring to the green-tipped M855 round. And yes, that has shown its weaknesses. That's why the Marine Corps began fielding the aforementioned Mk318 round in 2010 that addressed these issues. The Mk318 is also far more effective out of shorter barrels than the M855 is.

And what lack of range? The Mk318 is effective out to 800 meters.

And what's this about brick walls? Are you trying to kill civilians?

So you see, the mid-length AR-15 can suit a wide array of use cases with adequacy depending on the type of ammunition you load in it. For home defense and for hunting deer, I can use Federal Fusion rounds. If I need to return fire on hardened targets, I can use Mk318 rounds.

The weapon itself is relatively compact. I can maneuver indoors with it but can also put rounds in it suitable for medium range engagement (out to 800 meters).
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigun wrote:
For Men: When you first meet a woman (and you are single) make up your mind whether or not she is worth dating or not within the first 30 seconds.

I don't always make life defining decisions, but when I do I only give them 30 seconds of thought.
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
Bigun wrote:
For Men: When you first meet a woman (and you are single) make up your mind whether or not she is worth dating or not within the first 30 seconds.

I don't always make life defining decisions, but when I do I only give them 30 seconds of thought.

Far beyond logical, but it's the way most women work. Plus, your dating, not slapping a ring on her finger.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

First, you seem to be referring to the green-tipped M855 round. And yes, that has shown its weaknesses. That's why the Marine Corps began fielding the aforementioned Mk318 round in 2010 that addressed these issues. The Mk318 is also far more effective out of shorter barrels than the M855 is.

So you see, the mid-length AR-15 can suit a wide array of use cases with adequacy depending on the type of ammunition you load in it. For home defense and for hunting deer, I can use Federal Fusion rounds. If I need to return fire on hardened targets, I can use Mk318 rounds.

The weapon itself is relatively compact. I can maneuver indoors with it but can also put rounds in it suitable for medium range engagement (out to 800 meters).

what about combattants in an urban environment?

and why are mentioning a bullet that isn't even in use anymore?

also there is a difference between 'can penetrate something' and 'you have a real chance to hit something'.

EDIT: Also the M16 isn't really smaller or lighter than the G3, which fires the 7.62.

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Or else what?

Or else nothing. She'll interpret it as a hostile act, an invasion of her privacy, a threat to expose her inner ugliness. To them it's like somebody taking a picture of your tiny shrunken penis right after you step out of the ice-cold ocean. You wouldn't react by thinking "gee, she must really like the way my wet, muscular body looks".

The lesson learned is this: it behooves a man to understand that women who wear makeup are often very sensitive about their appearance without it. Also, once they've got you on the hook, they're not wearing it for you; they're wearing it for everybody else.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

also there is a difference between 'can penetrate something' and 'you have a real chance to hit something'.

EDIT: Also the M16 isn't really smaller or lighter than the G3, which fires the 7.62.

The M16 is almost equally effective, and you can carry (and make) a lot more ammunition for it. I myself would probably rather carry a 7.62 as a lone operator loose in some hostile situation, but if I were arming an infantry force, I might well choose something like the M-16 (although not the fucked up mini variants they are handing out these days, which have inadequate range for many situations).
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed, if I want a gun for 'self defense' I want one that shoots the fucker behind the tree. Throught the tree.

But back to your make up analysis. Well done. Your experience as a husband kicked in?

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
indeed, if I want a gun for 'self defense' I want one that shoots the fucker behind the tree. Throught the tree.

But back to your make up analysis. Well done. Your experience as a husband kicked in?

No, I had just taken a picture of my girlfriend with a towel around her having just showered and she almost broke my camera while she told me it was "disrespectful". Eventually I figured out that the reason it was "disrespectful" is because I was immortalizing (and potentially publicizing) her without her makeup. I thought I was capturing her nice figure and her hair looking sexy, but I stepped on a land mine. So I just thought I'd share the location of that land mine. :lol:
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:

Combatants in an urban environment? That's called a trade off. But I really have no first hand experience.

I have promoted the Mk318 and Fusion rounds. Both are still in use.

"Can penetrate something" and "can hit something" are two things the Mk318 round does very well. As I said, it is far more accurate out of shorter barrels like mine.

What I have is smaller and lighter than an M16 but has a far more reliable gas system than the compact M4. It is just over two centimeters longer than an M4.

EDIT: Here is a comparison. The top one is the M4, the middle one is mine, and the bottom one is the M16.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
I just thought I'd share the location of that land mine. :lol:
Repeat the test when she's with makeup and only a towel. Maybe in the world of facebook and x-girlfriend revenge sites, she just doesn't want potentially compromising pictures floating around.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never play leap-frog with a unicorn.

Also, if the person you are dating/married to has their self-worth and self-image dependent on consumable cosmetics there just MIGHT be a bigger issue lurking there that is going to bite you in the ass much harder than that time you tried to snap a quick informal pic of them.

Drink enough water every day. (So simple yet so few do it! I struggle with this one myself.)

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, if the person you are dating/married to has their self-worth and self-image dependent on consumable cosmetics there just MIGHT be a bigger issue lurking there that is going to bite you in the ass much harder than that time you tried to snap a quick informal pic of them.

Maybe you're right. I think I'll push the issue and see what happens. If it makes her think I'm an asshole because of it, I'll just fix that by telling her some guy on the Internet told me she has issues. :lol:
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Quote:

Maybe you're right. I think I'll push the issue and see what happens. If it makes her think I'm an asshole because of it, I'll just fix that by telling her some guy on the Internet told me she has issues. :lol:

which is a bit too long to put it on your tombstone, but there should be a bit more space in the obituary.

BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Quote:

Do what you want, for sure. I'm just saying that identifying an issue properly instead of turning a blind-eye to it might be a valid life tip. YMMV. If you want to continue to learn where all these unreasonable landmines are, you knock yourself out tough guy.

Keep in mind I didn't tell you she had issues, all I said was that your story as told (I haven't heard her side of it) MIGHT indicate there are some issues lurking there.

pjp wrote:
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you've convinced me. I know what to do now.
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

My wife used to be the same way when we first started dating, no pictures without makeup.

After a few years of flooding her with compliments (all of which I meant), she now has no issues with pictures taken, no nudes of course, I've made her paranoid since I've done picture recovery from an SD card, and how easy they are to find.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

I know that you have a thick skull, but this is unprecedented!

I'm not trying to CONVINCE anyone.

You started this damned thread, it's called "Tips on Living" -- not advice, or recommendations, or coercion.

It's a tip, take it or leave it. Also, if you re-read my original contribution maybe you can see just a little bit that I am also interjecting a tid bit of humor.

pjp wrote:
CaptainRabies
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protip: Always do your own automotive work, as much as you can. I just got done fixing a transmission on a 14-year-old Chevy; not only did I save money, I now know how the tranny works and how much life the parts have in them. If I'd just taken it to a mechanic, I'd still panic every time I can't quite get it into park, rather than thinking "the shift cable is a little loose, I should probably fix that."

Come to think of it, Gentoo's basically a "do it yourself so you feel better" distribution. Maybe I'm preaching to the choir here, but extend that self-sufficiency throughout your life and you'll feel better.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainRabies wrote:
Protip: Always do your own automotive work, as much as you can. I just got done fixing a transmission on a 14-year-old Chevy; not only did I save money, I now know how the tranny works and how much life the parts have in them. If I'd just taken it to a mechanic, I'd still panic every time I can't quite get it into park, rather than thinking "the shift cable is a little loose, I should probably fix that."

Come to think of it, Gentoo's basically a "do it yourself so you feel better" distribution. Maybe I'm preaching to the choir here, but extend that self-sufficiency throughout your life and you'll feel better.

I'm fine with taking things apart - I'm your man for that - it's putting them back together that's a bit of a poser.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: