Ender's Game
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Ender's Game Reply with quote

In my opinion, the greatest risk has always been the necessity of child actors.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is better than Catwoman ( w/ Hallie berry ) then I'll be OK with it!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol

The bar couldn't be much lower.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ender's Game Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
In my opinion, the greatest risk has always been the necessity of child actors.

I've been impressed by a few of them, Haley Joel Osment comes to mind. I can overlook some acting 'failures' in the interest of the broader story. I'll definitely see this one.

Juniper wrote:
I fail to see the relevance.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks horrible. Couldn't finish watching the trailer.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Ender's Game Reply with quote

bogamol wrote:
I've been impressed by a few of them, Haley Joel Osment comes to mind. I can overlook some acting 'failures' in the interest of the broader story. I'll definitely see this one.
I intend to see it (though I've missed a LOT of movies I've intended to see). But I have a sinking feeling about it based on the trailer. When I heard Ford was in it, I had high hopes. But the trailer isn't all that good. Hopefully it is better than the trailer.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Looks horrible. Couldn't finish watching the trailer.

But opinions change over time.
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ender's Game Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
bogamol wrote:
I intend to see it (though I've missed a LOT of movies I've intended to see). But I have a sinking feeling about it based on the trailer. When I heard Ford was in it, I had high hopes. But the trailer isn't all that good. Hopefully it is better than the trailer.

Me too. I missed the latest Batman and that was on the top of my list for theater viewing.

Prometheus - (I got sick of the hype and decided not to go.)

Black Swan - Wanted to see it, but didn't want to go alone and didn't have anyone else who was interested.

Jurassic Park - in 3D - with a 5 year old?! Sorry I missed that too. :( :lol: jk (Though he was really pushing me to take him. and he doesn't really scare easily. He thought the Worg and the Pale Orc in the Hobbit was awesome. Come to think of it, I am not kidding. I really wish we could have seen that one.)

Juniper wrote:
I fail to see the relevance.

Last edited by bogamol on Wed May 08, 2013 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I missed the latest Batman
Worst of the recent Batman series. You didn't miss anything.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering I loved the book back then, I'm gonna suspend my failure detection process and just enjoy the movie :)

But what do I know, some people get (or think they get) more out of complaining about how "movie was nothing like the book", then from watching the movie. :lol:
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
Considering I loved the book back then, I'm gonna suspend my failure detection process and just enjoy the movie :)

But what do I know, some people get (or think they get) more out of complaining about how "movie was nothing like the book", then from watching the movie. :lol:
It depends on what they do with the film. If they just chuck CGI at it for the battles and the training events... I might as well watch someone play HL2. BUT if they get right downto the ethical dilemmas it could be interesting.
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ender's Game Reply with quote

bogamol wrote:
IMO it makes Scott look lucky for not having screwed up Alien.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ender's Game Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
bogamol wrote:
IMO it makes Scott look lucky for not having screwed up Alien.

Scott is generally a good director, look at his portfolio (re bladerunner, Black Hawk Down etc...) but yes he did have some rasberries - although Prometheus is orders or magnitude better than alien resurrection, the only film I actually stood up to walk out from.

As to enders game, I read the other day the bits of the book that will not be in the film and it makes sense. Likewise a slight tweak to part of the story which equally should make it better for the screen.
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ender's Game Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Scott is generally a good director, look at his portfolio (re bladerunner, Black Hawk Down etc...) but yes he did have some rasberries - although Prometheus is orders or magnitude better than alien resurrection, the only film I actually stood up to walk out from.
I've seen three movies he has directed. Alien, Matchstick Men and Prometheus. Alien & Matchstick Men were both good. Nothing else he has created looked compelling, or was watchable. I tried Bladerunner and turned it off, it was that boring. Side note, he has an "Untitled Blade Runner Project" listed now. Maybe he'll do for Bladerunner what Prometheus did for Alien :D. I think I gave up on the Alien series after 3, but at least Resurrection wasn't AVP. For my preferences, I'm skeptical I could find Resurrection worse than Prometheus.

Naib wrote:
As to enders game, I read the other day the bits of the book that will not be in the film and it makes sense. Likewise a slight tweak to part of the story which equally should make it better for the screen.
:) Hollywood: Nothing is unfilmable if you rewrite it.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prometheus - the music was good. The rest was garbage. Idiocy, stupidity, religion. Just bad.

But that was not the director's fault. He had to deal with the crap he was given to work with.

The same shit slinger (lindelof) now was allowed to shit on the Star Treck franchise.

I am so not excited.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
Prometheus - the music was good. The rest was garbage. Idiocy, stupidity, religion. Just bad.

But that was not the director's fault. He had to deal with the crap he was given to work with.

The same shit slinger (lindelof) now was allowed to shit on the Star Treck franchise.

I am so not excited.
I am, maybe that nerdfest will finally die.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see another sequel to the X-Files.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:

I am so not excited.
Scott is completely culpable.
wp wrote:
Spaihts wrote a script for a prequel to the events of the Alien films, but Scott opted for a different direction to avoid repeating cues from those films. In late 2010, Lindelof joined the project to rewrite Spaihts's script, and he and Scott developed a story that precedes the story of Alien but is not directly connected to that franchise. According to Scott, although the film shares "strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak", and takes place in the same universe, Prometheus explores its own mythology and ideas.

As for Star Trek, Berman & Abrams (a Star Wars fan who didn't like Trek. Go figure the results of the current slop they're labeling with the name).

notageek wrote:
I would like to see another sequel to the X-Files.
Another? I didn't watch until late, and didn't see it often, but it seemed to have run its course. Of course, that doesn't stop the industry from plot fracking.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, another one.

It only ran its course because they did not make a good sequel last time. And moreover they did that government conspiracy thing to its death. If they come up with something other that that, then it would be good.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, are you considering the movies to be sequels? Seems more like an extension of what was, but afaik, I've not seen either movie.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and also the series.

Eight and nine were not watchable because of the absence of Mulder. What I'm saying is I'd like to see more of X-Files.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: