Anybody with a systemd only system?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musv
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Anybody with a systemd only system? Reply with quote

Hi there,

currently I switched to systemd. It's working so far. And now I'm thinking about removing OpenRC and sysvinit completely. Did anybody already that step with success?

For some reasons I'm doing a backup at this moment. 8)
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have done this with one machine.

To see what would break, I also ripped out a whole lot of other stuff on it as well:
openrc and everything in /etc/init.d/ /etc/conf.d/
syslog-ng and its configuration
logrotate and its configuration
vixie-cron and its configuration and /etc/cron.*/*
sysvinit and /etc/inittab
xinetd and /etc/xinet.d

What breaks:

1. There are some ebuilds that make use of some general-purpose functions exposed by OpenRC. There is a bug talking about what to do about this, but nobody has done anything. So, can either:
a) leave openrc installed for the time being (and the symlink within /etc/init.d named "functions.sh") <--- probably the smart way to go for now
b) remove openrc, but replace the functions.sh link with a shell that provides the necessary functions (if you hunt around for "systemd-only gentoo", you can find one)

2. systemd is written in such a way (and packaged by the Gentoo maintainer in such a way that) that it can co-exist with all of the things above that I removed. The default install of systemd seems to assume that you do still have some kind of syslog daemon (to which it will copy all its logging output), and that you have left sysvinit in place for backward-compatibility (so that you can still use sysvinit commands such as "reboot" and "init"). Neither of these are essential, but they do seem to be the default, probably for a good reason. The only consequences I have observed of having removed them are:
a) I had to read the systemd man page to learn some equivalent commands (e.g., on that machine, I now type "systemctl reboot" instead of "reboot")
b) There are a couple of services and targets associated with backward compatibility with sysvinit and associated with syslog, that attempt to start and fail. These don't cause any delays or problems, so I haven't done anything about it yet.
I would probably suggest leaving sysvinit in place, but getting rid of syslog (if you don't have any compelling reason to keep it).

Don't go just by what I've typed here, which is not a complete "how to". Several other people have offered advice about how to go about this, if you search.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things you may like:
  1. Overlay to make OpenRC and SystemD coexist rather peacefully: systemd-love (layman -a systemd-love)
  2. Overlay to end up with a systemd-only system

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you can get a replacement 'functions.sh' from that second repository.
GFCCAE6xF
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes :)

Do:
/etc/portage/profile/package.provided wrote:
sys-apps/openrc-0.11.8

Then:
Code:
# emerge --depclean    | Let it clean away OpenRC & sysvinit
# wget -P /etc/init.d https://raw.github.com/holliday/holliday/master/sys-apps/openrc/files/functions.sh

You can then go on to INSTALL_MASK init scripts if you wish, there is no harm in keeping them though, just a few files.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: