Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
The /dev nodes are actually made in kernel space by devtmpfs, udev only sets the names and permissions.

NeddySeagoon ... yes, which is a recent addition to the saga, and re-reading I see I'm not really getting the cronology correct, I also omited firmware loading, HAL, and D-Bus ... oiiiyoiiyoiii

best ... khay
ElleStone
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some experimenting and finally found something that actually requires the udevd daemon to be running, which is unplugging the mouse and plugging in the same or a new mouse. So I'm guessing it's also needed for swapping keyboards and for plugging in my colorimeter.

I'm not sure mdev has prewritten rules for supporting colorimeters (argyllcms supplies the udev rules), and I know I don't want to figure out that kind of syntax for myself (as I continue setting up Gentoo there are too many other brick walls to bang my head against, without adding mdev rules to the list!). But even if mdev rules for colorimeters were already written, mdev would need to run in the background just like e/udev. So I'm going to mark this thread solved.

Many thanks to all of you! for helping me get a better understanding of device management and e/udev and the various alternatives.

Elle
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElleStone wrote:
I did some experimenting and finally found something that actually requires the udevd daemon to be running, which is unplugging the mouse and plugging in the same or a new mouse. So I'm guessing it's also needed for swapping keyboards and for plugging in my colorimeter.

ElleStone ... yeah, anything of that nature will require device management.

ElleStone wrote:
I'm not sure mdev has prewritten rules for supporting colorimeters (argyllcms supplies the udev rules), and I know I don't want to figure out that kind of syntax for myself (as I continue setting up Gentoo there are too many other brick walls to bang my head against, without adding mdev rules to the list!). But even if mdev rules for colorimeters were already written, mdev would need to run in the background just like e/udev. So I'm going to mark this thread solved.

It doesn't but it would fairly simple to write/modify a helper to do this, its just shell script. The 'catch-all' script from mdev-like-a-boss could be modified:

Code:
case "${idVendor}" in
    '04db'|'0670'|'0765'|'0971'|'085c'|'04d8' |'273f')
    chgrp 'plugdev' "/dev/bus/usb/${BUSNUM}/${DEVNUM}" 2>/dev/null && \
    chmod 660 "/dev/bus/usb/${BUSNUM}/${DEVNUM}"

That's all the vendor ID's from the argyllcms udev rules. That said, it will no doubt get impossible in the future to do anything without udev, I just read (though need to verify) that lvm2 will be using "udev more extensively" and so mdev will most likely not work with future releases of lvm2, none of which makes sense except by reference to someone having been paid a visit by the good idea fairy. It wouldn't be so bad were it not for all those rushing to accommodate these supposed "developments", and claiming its for the sake of "the users". I honestly think my days are numbered.

BTW, there is no mdev process it is simply called as and when a device is connected/disconnected, does what it needs to do then exits.

ElleStone wrote:
Many thanks to all of you! for helping me get a better understanding of device management and e/udev and the various alternatives.

You're welcome ... if you need further help with the above just ask.

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: