Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Good for Them
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 151

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Good for Them Reply with quote

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lapd-women-shot-millions-20130423,0,1713238.story
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16108
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunate if all they wanted was a payout and not to have the problem fixed. Lotterysuits should be minimized by the system.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 151

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes to both. What, specifically, is the problem?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Location: Estados Unidos De América

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice police state
LOL USA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2027
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Unfortunate if all they wanted was a payout and not to have the problem fixed. Lotterysuits should be minimized by the system.


lotterysuit?
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Posts: 84
Location: Detroit, Michigan - The Home of Rock and Roll

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
pjp wrote:
Unfortunate if all they wanted was a payout and not to have the problem fixed. Lotterysuits should be minimized by the system.


lotterysuit?


We sue people way too much here because there is little disincentive for doing so.
Getting inconvenienced in a dramatic way would result in bad publicity for an org if sued so they settle instead. It's like winning the lottery.

Its a dumb system. From what little I know of the German system it seems like it is a lot better. Note I am only referring to civil courts.
_________________
Freedom is the oxygen of the soul. -Moshe Dayan

Juniper wrote:
I fail to see the relevance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16108
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flysideways wrote:
What, specifically, is the problem?
Oh, I don't know, maybe that cops shouldn't be allowed to randomly shoot people. And if they do, tried for gross negligence, negligent homicide, etc.


energyman76b wrote:
lotterysuit?
Suing a source of money for the sole purpose of winning large sums of money. Especially when there is no meaningful attempt to "fix" the problem leading to the lawsuit.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
flysideways wrote:
What, specifically, is the problem?
Oh, I don't know, maybe that cops shouldn't be allowed to randomly shoot people. And if they do, tried for gross negligence, negligent homicide, etc.


energyman76b wrote:
lotterysuit?
Suing a source of money for the sole purpose of winning large sums of money. Especially when there is no meaningful attempt to "fix" the problem leading to the lawsuit.

The officers involved should have been brought up on criminal charges.

I'm assuming they were not.
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16108
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
The officers involved should have been brought up on criminal charges.

I'm assuming they were not.
I have heard no indication they were even suspended, which usually happens as a routine procedure after they've fired in the line of duty (or maybe only if they've hit someone).
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Old School wrote:
The officers involved should have been brought up on criminal charges.

I'm assuming they were not.
I have heard no indication they were even suspended, which usually happens as a routine procedure after they've fired in the line of duty (or maybe only if they've hit someone).

When one lives in a Police State, one must recognize the Political Elite and their guards have special rules.
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16108
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, Mr. Pressure Cooker still hasn't been read his rights. I was thinking they would do it after he was stabilized. Apparently not. Quite frankly, that is the part I find most disturbing about the incident up to this point.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2027
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is wrong to get some money to get you over the pain?

I mean Wergeld is a good old germanic tradition. The best one. You hurt someone, you have to make him rich. Something I can support.

Since the policemen will get away scotsfree this is the only kind of satisfaction the victims can get.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16108
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
the policemen will get away scotsfree
They should have filed a lawsuit against the cops, THEN went after money. Criminal then civil (think OJ criminal / not guilty of murder, civil / guilty enough to pay millions).

Since they only went after money, it is a lotterysuit, which should be capped at medical expenses.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2027
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
the policemen will get away scotsfree
They should have filed a lawsuit against the cops, THEN went after money. Criminal then civil (think OJ criminal / not guilty of murder, civil / guilty enough to pay millions).

Since they only went after money, it is a lotterysuit, which should be capped at medical expenses.


criminal? why? if some police men injure innocent people, it is the duty of the STATE to press for criminal charges. Not the victims.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16108
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
criminal? why? if some police men injure innocent people, it is the duty of the STATE to press for criminal charges. Not the victims.
How's that working out? You aren't in good hands with lolstate.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2027
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
criminal? why? if some police men injure innocent people, it is the duty of the STATE to press for criminal charges. Not the victims.
How's that working out? You aren't in good hands with lolstate.


well, if that does not work, then 'lotterysuits' are the only way to penalize the state for its shortcommings.

But really, an independet judical system would work...
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16108
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:facepalm:
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2027
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why facepalm?

it is the system's duty to penalize its agents - in this case the police men.

The system failed at doing so. The only way to get some satisfaction AND penalizing the system for its failure is to sue them for a big pile of money.

Plus giving those who should have punished the police men a good old cup of 'obstruction of justice'. But since you seem to think that the system is broken, suing for heaps of money is your best bet.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16108
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
why facepalm?

it is the system's duty to penalize its agents
I guess it is a cultural difference in thinking.

The fox watches the hen house, and after it eats a hen, the hens just expect the fox to address the problem. Seems an odd approach.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2027
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
why facepalm?

it is the system's duty to penalize its agents
I guess it is a cultural difference in thinking.

The fox watches the hen house, and after it eats a hen, the hens just expect the fox to address the problem. Seems an odd approach.


question: your lack of knowledge about seperation of powers - a general USamerican problem or just you?

It is the job of the justice branch to punish those policemen. And it is the job of the executive branch to train them to not act like idiots and to reimburse the victims.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16108
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, its just you.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum