error installing gentoo on usb-stick/pendrive
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
axle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: error installing gentoo on usb-stick/pendrive Reply with quote

Hi

I need some help, i have a error in the run of my first gentoo instalation. I am doing it on a usb-stick. The error says: unable to enumerate usb device on port x.

After that, trown me a error and the loading stop and i need to force the shutdown of the pc.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: error installing gentoo on usb-stick/pendrive Reply with quote

axle wrote:
I need some help, i have a error in the run of my first gentoo instalation. I am doing it on a usb-stick. The error says: unable to enumerate usb device on port x. After that, trown me a error and the loading stop and i need to force the shutdown of the pc.

axle ... I'm not sure what direction to point you in but I've seen the very same USB errors with a 3.8.7 kernel, oddly I hadn't seen it prior to this specific kernel. In my case it doesn't cause a halt of the boot processs, just lots of fluff in dmesg, but in my case I'm not booting from a USB device. A brief search suggests it a long standing issue, and that it is to do with the order in which ohci_hcd/uhci_hcd/ehci_hcd are loaded and the devices (USB1, USB2) asigned (so, udev plays some part in this). Sorry I can't be any more specific, or provide a possible workaround, but a search for "unable to enumerate usb device on port" should provide some pointers.

best ... khay
axle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

That error message repeat several times after trown me the error. Now:

There is a tutorial of installing gentoo in a usb-stick? That would help me alot to see if i need to do something else to run the system.

I am pointing to the correct device? What error i have when i dont aim to the correct device where the partitions are?

A friend of mine say that i need to put in the kernel the option to automount devices. Where is that option?

Btw the grub dont have any problem, even the background image displays correctly. I can see the system start, because i can see the 4 tux in the top of the screen.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axle wrote:
There is a tutorial of installing gentoo in a usb-stick? That would help me alot to see if i need to do something else to run the system.

axle ... there are probably many, but how up-to-date they are I can't say, you might search the "Documentation, Tips & Tricks" section which is where such things would probably get posted. Alternatively, you could look at sysrescuecd, which is gentoo based, and personalise it..

Building your own USB install this isn't really going to help, if the USB drivers and/or udev is at issue then you will get the same issue when booting, at least not without first figuring out what the cause is.

axle wrote:
I am pointing to the correct device? What error i have when i dont aim to the correct device where the partitions are?

No idea ... my psychic powers are waining.

axle wrote:
A friend of mine say that i need to put in the kernel the option to automount devices. Where is that option?

It won't help if the device isn't found.

axle wrote:
Btw the grub dont have any problem, even the background image displays correctly. I can see the system start, because i can see the 4 tux in the top of the screen.

Thats quite normal because this all happens before any device nodes are probed.

best ... khay
axle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:

axle wrote:

No idea ... my psychic powers are waining.

haha, sorry i forget to write more information about the devices. I have a hdd with windows 7 installed in it. The usb device and the hdd are the unique devices i have installed in the pc at the moment of the run of the system.

In the line of the kernel in the grub, i change the root partition from sdb3(where i believe is the usb-stick) to sda3(where is the hdd). After that the system trown me a error: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block, also says: tried with the filesystems ext2, ext3...here are the avaible devices: sda1....sda4, but only the hdd apear and not the usb device. Before of this error it says something like this: device found SCSI at sdb.

Sorry because i cant put the entire error because i dont know how to do it.

Also thanks for the information about Sysresccd.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: