Obama has SLASHED budget for domestic bombing prevention
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Obama has SLASHED budget for domestic bombing prevention Reply with quote

Obama administration has SLASHED budget for domestic bombing prevention by 45 per cent, says former Homeland Security Assistant Secretary

Quote:
$20 million budget under Bush became $11 million under Obama
Both administrations neglected domestic bombing prevention, devoting a tiny fraction of the $1 billion earmarked for IED prevention overseas
Obama issued a lengthy 'National Policy for Countering Improvised Explosive Devices' in February but a spokesman won't say if it failed

Barack Obama's administration has cut the budget nearly in half for preventing domestic bombings, MailOnline can reveal.

Under President George W. Bush, the Department of Homeland Security had $20 million allocated for preventing the use of improvised explosive devices (IEDs) by terrorists working inside the United States. The current White House has cut that funding down to $11 million.

That assessment comes from Robert Liscouski, a former Homeland Security Assistant Secretary for Infrastructure Protection, in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings on April 15 that killed three Americans and injured at least 173 others.

He told MailOnline that the Obama-era DHS is, on the whole, about as well-positioned as it was during the Bush administration to handle the aftermath of the April 15 bombings in Boston, 'but the Obama administration has continued to cut the budget for offices such as the Office for Bombing Prevention from $20 million started under Bush, to $11 million today.'

'Comparatively,' he added, 'the Defense Department's Joint IED Defeat Organization had a budget of $1 billion per year focused on preventing IEDs in the Iraq and Afghanistan theaters.'

'Clearly more money needs to be focused on countering domestic IEDs,' Liscouski concluded.

He is now a partner at Edge 360, a security and intelligence consultancy.

The Office for Bombing Prevention (OBP) was created in 2003 when the Department of Homeland Security was founded. Its original name was the WMD/Bombing Prevention Unit, and it was part of the department's Information Analysis and Infrastructure Protection Directorate.

More in TFA
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or: Ghoulish security consultants come out of the woodwork after disaster to get more money from the government.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be 100%. The only way to stop bombings is to stop being an ass.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Appeasement. It's what for supper."

Probably too much of a nation-specific joke (it plays on a well-known add by the Beef Industry). Let's try again:

"Appeasement, because it's what works."
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
Should be 100%. The only way to stop bombings is to stop being an ass.

Once a donkey, always a donkey. Or are you talking about the US in general?
BoneKracker wrote:

Appeasement, sounds like a soothing side order for a nice roast dinner.

Last edited by sikpuppy on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
Or: Ghoulish security consultants come out of the woodwork after disaster to get more money from the government.

True. It's just like the National Society of Civil Engineers or whatever they are called. Every time a bridge falls or sewer caves in or something, they run to the Democrats with an updated National Infrastructure Report pointing out the 'critical urgency of avoiding teh impending, life-threatening holocaust-scale disaster and economic collapse' by investing hundreds of billions more in infrastructure projects (much of which goes in their pockets). Then the Democrats turn around treat this like its unbiased scientific evidence. "Look! It's in the analysis in black and white!"
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

Probably too much of a nation-specific joke (it plays on a well-known add by the Beef Industry). Let's try again:

There's a difference between appeasement, and not going around punching people in the face and yelling "'MURICA!! FUCK YEAH!!!!" before robbing them.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

There's a difference between appeasement, and not going around punching people in the face and yelling "'MURICA!! FUCK YEAH!!!!"

Same old story of "who started it". We didn't start shit.

You know who did start it? You fuckers in Europe. So put that in your meerschaum leprechaun pipe and smoke it.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

You know who did start it? You fuckers in Europe. So put that in your meerschaum leprechaun pipe and smoke it.

It's not 'who started it', it's who's perpetuating it and deepening resentment by global criminal behaviour.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

It's not 'who started it', it's who's perpetuating it and deepening resentment by global criminal behaviour.

"criminal behavior" :roll:

Criminal behavior was when you Europeans went and invaded the lands of peace-loving natives who had never done anything to deserve it, killing them off with violence and disease, forcing them to take on your stupid religion, enslaving them, and starting centuries of exploitation that, in many cases, has still not ended. That's criminal behavior. Attacking somebody for invading an annexing your ally, or for participating in or supporting terrorism, is not "criminal behavior". Neither was keeping Europe from being absorbed by the Borg of Stalinist USSR.

You know what else was "criminal behavior"? Ireland scheming to fucking back-stab Britain with Nazi-supplied weapons when it was weak during World War I. I refer to Roger Casement, who also notably participated in the British Empire's savage abuses of the indigenous peoples of both the Congo and Brazil. Just a representative little data point of typical Irish history there for you.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

Criminal behavior was when you Europeans went and invaded the lands of peace-loving natives who had never done anything to deserve it, killing them off with violence and disease, forcing them to take on your stupid religion, enslaving them, and starting centuries of exploitation that, in many cases, has still not ended. That's criminal behavior.

They're your ancestors, not mine. And centuries old colonialism doesn't excuse *your* *present* actions.

BoneKracker wrote:
Attacking somebody for invading an annexing your ally, or for participating in or supporting terrorism, is not "criminal behavior". Neither was keeping Europe from being absorbed by the Borg of Stalinist USSR.

Nobody is talking about WWII, or even the cold war. We're talking about every war, coup, and political manoeuvring designed to loot resources from otherwise poor countries that's been going on since WWII. Here's a surprise, that shit pisses people off.

BoneKracker wrote:
You know what else was "criminal behavior"? Ireland scheming to fucking back-stab Britain with Nazi-supplied weapons when it was weak during World War I. I refer to Roger Casement, who also notably participated in the British Empire's savage abuses of the indigenous peoples of both the Congo and Brazil. Just a representative little data point of typical Irish history there for you.

The Nazis didn't exist in WWI, and the Irish people had every right to displace a tyrannical and illegitimate occupying government. That's no crime, that's the consequence of savagely assaulting and pillaging a population group badly and long enough.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
*your* *present* actions.

responsibility. endlessly preached by the right.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="aidanjt"]
BoneKracker wrote:

Criminal behavior was when you Europeans went and invaded the lands of peace-loving natives who had never done anything to deserve it, killing them off with violence and disease, forcing them to take on your stupid religion, enslaving them, and starting centuries of exploitation that, in many cases, has still not ended. That's criminal behavior.

They're your ancestors, not mine. And centuries old colonialism doesn't excuse *your* *present* actions.[/url]
Ah, so you're a Paki too?

aidanjt wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Attacking somebody for invading an annexing your ally, or for participating in or supporting terrorism, is not "criminal behavior". Neither was keeping Europe from being absorbed by the Borg of Stalinist USSR.

Nobody is talking about WWII, or even the cold war. We're talking about every war, coup, and political manoeuvring designed to loot resources from otherwise poor countries that's been going on since WWII. Here's a surprise, that shit pisses people off.

I wasn't talking about WWII either. I'm talking about the Cold War, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Now, if you weren't talking about those, what had you dreamed up to talk about? The attack on Libya that was carried out at European insistence? The Rwandan genocide that European UN peacekeepers allowed to happen? The U.S. invasions of the Balkans (yeah, we went in their to steal their oil and exploit their resources). Europe is the big exploiter of peoples and resources all across the world; has been for 500 years, and still is.

aidanjt wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

The Nazis didn't exist in WWI, and the Irish people had every right to displace a tyrannical and illegitimate occupying government. That's no crime, that's the consequence of savagely assaulting and pillaging a population group badly and long enough.

I meant Germans. They all grew up to be Nazis anyway. Regardless of your idea of "every right" or not, it was illegal. That's why he was hanged, after a quite legal trial.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
I meant Germans. They all grew up to be Nazis anyway. Regardless of your idea of "every right" or not, it was illegal. That's why he was hanged, after a quite legal trial.

'Illegal' by 'law' which is about as valid as US law would be were it imposed in Iraq or Afghanistan against the will of those people. Tyrants hanging people for 'treason' is exactly what makes them tyrannical, there was exactly no legitimacy in the law, hence the rebellion. I'm astonished by your complete ignorance of blatantly obvious civics.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

'Illegal' by 'law' which is about as valid as US law would be were it imposed in Iraq or Afghanistan against the will of those people. Tyrants hanging people for 'treason' is exactly what makes them tyrannical, there was exactly no legitimacy in the law, hence the rebellion. I'm astonished by your complete ignorance of blatantly obvious civics.

Oh, I'm ignorant, am I? You're the one who just fell into my trap, going on and on about how meaningless "illegal" is, after you previously whined about "criminal" U.S. behavior. Think about it before you blurt some more, ass-clown. :lol:
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
The Nazis didn't exist in WWI

A historically inaccurate Godwin is my favourite kind of Godwin :)

Bonekracker wrote:
I meant Germans

All of whom are nazis...? 8O
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
aidanjt wrote:
The Nazis didn't exist in WWI

A historically inaccurate Godwin is my favourite kind of Godwin :)

Bonekracker wrote:
I meant Germans

All of whom are nazis...? 8O

Pretty much turned out that way, no?

Okay, since I gaffed, I'll give you the full explanation. I was trying to recall the incident with the Irish planning a wartime, German-sponsored insurgency against Britain. I had already typed the sentence, tentatively saying "during WWII" (and mentioning the Nazis). Then I stopped to look it up, to get the guy's name. I said to myself, "Wow, wrong war. Glad I checked," and I corrected WWII to WWI, but failed to change "Nazis" to "Turd-burgling Kaiser Krauts" or something.

You should be impressed that I'm even aware of this incident. Comparable knowledge of U.S. history on your part would be something like knowing who Charles Guiteau was.

But you digress. I'm waiting for AidanJT to explain in more depth about the U.S.'s "criminal behavior". :lol:
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... forcing them to take on your stupid religion..

I guess they were most successful with the USA :P

Moreover it's actually your religion, because according to the book of mormon, written by the great Joseph Smith, Jesus lived in america.
Quote:
Joseph Smith dictating the Book of Mormon by reading reflections in a seer stone at the bottom of a hat
:lol:
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You pick that as something weird to point out, while Catholics believe their Priests turn bread into the actual physical body of Jesus, and then eat it? :lol:

Europeans are the ones who inflicted Christianity on the world. Americans, who were Protestants originally, might have dumped it by now had it not been for wave after wave of poor, ignorant Irish, Italian, French, Spanish, Polish, and others immigrating here, and now another wave of Mexicans and South Americans (the fault of the Spanish, whom we can also thank for fanatically Christian immigrants from Puerto Rico, Cuba, the Philippines, Guam, etc.).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: