Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol at police scanners.

For a police state, with many paramilitary forces within the country, the hysteria and fear whipped up is intriguing. Even a police officer over there is properly trained and huge. And they have army of them. So, what's all this fear about?
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
LoTeK wrote:

then we have a third party, "the juniper view", but he could be wrong. That's weird that he could be wrong, isn't it? I was ready to choose juniper as my leader, but now I don't know. :lol:

that wasn't "the juniper view", its the view of not peddling speculation as fact.

and to be fair it isn't that much of a speculation to determine their type. Pretty much the same type were some of those arrested in the uk like 4years ago (muslim, engineering students...) Uni's have long been the new recruitment ground for home-grown.

as you can tell, i am completely non-committal. you can join my church. there is very little I require in terms of lifestyle changes.

I guess I don't feel the need to speculate.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
that wasn't "the juniper view", its the view of not peddling speculation as fact.

yes sorry I was just in the mood to troll a bit and I've enjoyed reading the statement
Quote:
Yeah, you could be wrong.
:lol:

Quote:
and to be fair it isn't that much of a speculation to determine their type. Pretty much the same type were some of those arrested in the uk like 4years ago (muslim, engineering students...) Uni's have long been the new recruitment ground for home-grown.

I don't know, they must be pretty bad engineering students. Without disrespecting any victims or without any political implications one can say: they really fucked it up!! I mean if you are studying something like chemistry or electrical engineering and then you build such bad bombs and get caught by cameras... sounds a bit weird... :roll:

Moreover if you compare students of today with those 20,30,40 years ago then today students are pretty focused on their careers. They don't revolt. I've read an article about the drugs they consume:
30,40 it was LSD to rebel against the establishment, 20 years ago it was cocain, because it was "anti" too and nowadays they consume ritalin to be more successful in their exams :lol:
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"

Last edited by LoTeK on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I know, that's why I wrote the previous post, I don't like speculating too! had nothing to do with your post... :)
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
Quote:

I know, that's why I wrote the previous post, I don't like speculating too! had nothing to do with your post... :)
There is nothing wrong with speculation, alot of outstanding discoveries are progressed due to speculation (either to prove or disprove).
Its when speculation is peddled as facts that problems occur; be it lynch mobs or the formation of the catholic church
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
LoTeK wrote:
Quote:

There is nothing wrong with speculation, alot of outstanding discoveries are progressed due to speculation (either to prove or disprove).
Its when speculation is peddled as facts that problems occur; be it lynch mobs or the formation of the catholic church

agreed, with speculation I've meant speculation without the awareness that it's speculation. But else it's important and interesting...
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
Naib wrote:
LoTeK wrote:
Quote:

agreed, with speculation I've meant speculation without the awareness that it's speculation. But else it's important and interesting...
yup, was just clarifying since there seems to be a few here with very basic education with no reasoning skills
There is a subtle difference between
"I think a muslim did it" -
"I think a muslim did it because..."
but both are speculations which could either be based upon heuristics (or outright narrowmindedness ;) ), the "because" just helps detail someones stance

and lightyears to
"a muslim did it"
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust No One 8O
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
LoTeK wrote:
Naib wrote:
LoTeK wrote:
Quote:

yup, was just clarifying since there seems to be a few here with very basic education with no reasoning skills
but both are speculations which could either be based upon heuristics (or outright narrowmindedness ;) ), the "because" just helps detail someones stance

and lightyears to
"a muslim did it"

So are you going to take Muso up on his bet or what? :P
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Naib wrote:
LoTeK wrote:
Naib wrote:
LoTeK wrote:
Quote:

and lightyears to
"a muslim did it"

So are you going to take Muso up on his bet or what? :P

I did, he didn't come back to me.
Naib wrote:
Muso wrote:
Naib wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
All ideas about who did this are speculation at this point. Nevertheless, it's not unreasonable to speculate, provided it's couched as that and you don't do something stupid like violate people's rights based on it.

The last attempt at something like this in the U.S. was a home-grown Islamic terrorist. However, the last (somewhat) successful attempt at something like this was a home-grown terrorist with an extremist social conservative ideology. Most of his targets corresponded to that ideology (abortionists, gays, etc.). My money is still on homegrown Jihadist terrorists. (I further speculate, wildly, that it was a small number of either Northeast region college students (perhaps Boston), or jobless derka-derka techno-yuppies from the same area.)

tell that to Muso, the rest of us comprehend educated guesses and likely explanations.
There is an entire ocean of difference between "this looks like the work of muzzies" and "my [RoP] tag is accurate!"

Want to bet that my tag isn't accurate?

Actually thinking about it I will take you up on the bet
You made a supposition in the OP title ( [RoP] Explosion at Boston Marathon ). Thats fine, nothing wrong with that, its a valid supposition
You then escalated this from supposition to affirming "fact" Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:13 am
Muso wrote:
So my [RoP] tag was accurate.

Shock, fucking, horror.

So you must have some citation for this claim.

So as to your call, ill take that bet. As per Hitchens' razor YOU are the one that has to back this claim AND this claim was made at Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:13 am so your citation must be date&timed no later than this otherwise your claim is a gross misrepresentation of reality

The stakes? If you can back up your claim I will never post on the Gentoo forums again, if I win you never post on the Gentoo forums again.
You made the claim, you called for a bet, I'm calling you out. Put up or Shut the fuck up

Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
lol at police scanners.

For a police state, with many paramilitary forces within the country, the hysteria and fear whipped up is intriguing. Even a police officer over there is properly trained and huge. And they have army of them. So, what's all this fear about?

American Liberals no longer believe in self protection, or personal responsibility, thus all the fear.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
American Liberals no longer believe in self protection, or personal responsibility, thus all the fear.

++
Daddy daddy, pleeease. Perpetual childhood and narcissism, yeeee. Iphonez!
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know how I could defend myself against an exploding bomb when I'm walking down the street. Maybe he can?

But I also don't understand "the fear thing", because everyday a huge number of people die in car accidents, but nobody is frightened. the power of psychology I guess...
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
LoTeK wrote:
Naib wrote:
LoTeK wrote:
Quote:

and lightyears to
"a muslim did it"

an important question that goes beyond this topic is:
is it better to just say something and be right or to think hard, work hard, justify etc and to be wrong?
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
I really don't know how I could defend myself against an exploding bomb when I'm walking down the street. Maybe he can?

But I also don't understand "the fear thing", because everyday a huge number of people die in car accidents, but nobody is frightened. the power of psychology I guess...

That is because fear is the mindkiller.

a car failing or part falling off is an accident... SURE if you go through the numbers there is a clear probability (what if I told you purely based upon FMEA analysis an A320 should fall out of the sky every 10years...). Its a gamble, a chance...

Someone deciding to take another persons life is a different thing in some peoples minds. One angle is on average in a society there is a finite probability that there is going to be a sociopath, further still that such sociopaths will descend into criminal activity. Now in some societies with different governing factors the probability of some acts may be higher - Take SouthAfrica and mandela, what he did was terrorism YES the cause was rightous and from any sane person that is clear, but from the perspective of these "terrorists" that are targeting western society so is their cause

It is the winner that rights history
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
Naib wrote:
LoTeK wrote:
Naib wrote:
LoTeK wrote:
Quote:

and lightyears to
"a muslim did it"

an important question that goes beyond this topic is:
is it better to just say something and be right or to think hard, work hard, justify etc and to be wrong?
Situationally both. I do both (well all 4: say and be right/wrong, justify and be right/wrong) but I am an engineer and I reserve the right to re-evaluate my hypothesis based upon new evidence.
HOWEVER! I never intentionally peddle as fact what is clearly not known
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a bunch of Rand reading Ron Paul supporters.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pair of Muslims.

RoP stands as a completely accurate tag.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chechens.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Chechens.

Yes. Ethnic Chechen brothers.

Quick, name the area with the Muslim insurgency in Russia...
tylerwylie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
notageek wrote:
Chechens.

Chechnya? omg what do I win?
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead Boston bombing suspect was a ‘very religious’ Muslim boxer
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
A pair of Muslims.

RoP stands as a completely accurate tag.

So funny, when one considers that Democrats were hoping for Tea Party involvement.

Chris Mathews must be in mourning.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accurate now, not then. I see you still have kindergarten logical reasoning, I guess that is why you wouldn't go through with your bet

http://i.imgur.com/vp2NcCa.jpg
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerwylie wrote:
Muso wrote:
notageek wrote:
Chechens.

Chechnya? omg what do I win?
I reported it first. Muso cannot claim because his was too generic.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: