View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: [RoP] Explosion at Boston Marathon Reply with quote

Explosion reported near finish line of Boston Marathon, spokesman says

Quote:
DEVELOPING: The Boston Marathon headquarters has been locked down after two explosions were reported near the finish line, a spokesman told Reuters.
Witnesses reportedly heard two booms near the finish line inside the Fairmount Copley Plaza Hotel that sounded like two claps of thunder.
The Associated Press says there are reports of injuries.

Live feed in link.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TWO explosions
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current toll is 2 deaths and 22 injuries. Some had to be amputated.
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 dead, 50 injured
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck, not again.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too early for the RoP tag. Could have been some explosive runner diarrhoe (yeah, I know... still, at this point even an ACCIDENT can not be ruled out).

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Oerpi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
too early for the RoP tag. Could have been some explosive runner diarrhoe (yeah, I know... still, at this point even an ACCIDENT can not be ruled out).

I think after seeing the TV coverage we can rule out accidents, agree on the RoP tag though could very well be a David Koresh or Tim McVeigh fanboy since the Anniversary of both Waco and the Oklahoma bombing are on friday.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oerpi wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

I think after seeing the TV coverage we can rule out accidents, agree on the RoP tag though could very well be a David Koresh or Tim McVeigh fanboy since the Anniversary of both Waco and the Oklahoma bombing are on friday.

I haven't seen any 'coverage'. But I am sure that there were a lot of pressurized gas tanks. You don't have to do much wrong to blow something up.

edit: ok, saw it on youtube.

Still stand by my 'might be an accident' assertion.

Of course, they will make it a terrorist attack, no matter what it was in the first place... to good a chance to clamp down on some civic liberties they forgot to take away in the past.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oerpi wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

I seriously doubt it was an accident, given the number and type of injuries being reported (which suggest a shrapnel-producing explosive device) and the reports that additional explosive devices were found. I also think it's very unlikely that it was some kind of anarchist group; those kinds of folks attack government targets.
Amaranatha
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope it wasn't North Korea.

Quote:
(Reuters) - North Korea made new threats of military action on Monday as the reclusive nation celebrated the anniversary of its founder's birth, stoking tension on the peninsula with a new "ultimatum" to South Korea in the stand-off over its nuclear program.

Oerpi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Oerpi wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

I seriously doubt it was an accident, given the number and type of injuries being reported (which suggest a shrapnel-producing explosive device) and the reports that additional explosive devices were found. I also think it's very unlikely that it was some kind of anarchist group; those kinds of folks attack government targets.

I agree with you on both points, I was just trying to point out that blaming Islamists was a bit premature. Again, not ruling it out, just waiting for the facts to come in.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh

Last edited by Prenj on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Oerpi wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

an exploding pressurized gas tank DOES produce lots of shrapnels. So does a bursting steam boiler, btw.

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two gas tanks or boilers, in separate locations, both blowing up about a minute apart? It's obvious from the footage of the first explosion that it occurred on the sdiewalk. You can see even from a helicopter that the residue and blood spatter originate at a point outdoors in the open, on the sidewalk. In my opinion, they were something like a backpack bomb.

The proximity of the two explosions, both in distance and time, suggests to me that it may have been carried out by a single individual, using something simple like a time-fuse. He probably pulled a one-minute fuse, dropped his backpack, walked to the second location, did the same, and vanished.

My wildly speculative bet: homegrown Islamic terrorist. One or a couple of guys working alone. Probably engingeering students from a Boston university.[/quote]
Okay, shrapnel has been reported, specifically ball bearings. Also, the two explosions happened closer together than I thought. So I upgrade my assessment of the sophistication slightly. To happen that close together, they were probably detonated by RF or cell phone. I stick with the idea that somebody just set something like a backpack on the ground; having seen the footage several times now, it's visibly apparent that the blast occurred right at ground level. Most of the wounds were to peoples legs also.

The explosion itself was relatively fast-burning, but you can see some continued combustion going on the rising cloud. That suggests a not entirely clean mixture of explosives.

So we've got IEDs of internet-level sophistication using at least some material that's not easy to get hold of, employed in an effectively coordinated, probably remote-control manner, although the simultaneous detonation is not optimal for maximum effect or consistent with battlefield use of IEDs. To me this suggests smart amateurs, probably a small group.

I'm sticking with a wild-ass guess of Islamic college students from Boston.

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oerpi wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

:roll:

Authorities ID suspect as Saudi national in marathon bombings, under guard at Boston hospital
Oerpi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Oerpi wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

:roll:

Suspect identified as a Saudi national and is under police guard in a hospital

Nice qouting me on this after I clarified why I posted this, also Boston Police deny having anyone in custody.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it looks like a muzzie attack, smells like a muzzie attack, and walks like a muzzie attack... it's a safe bet that it's a muzzie attack.
Oerpi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
If it looks like a muzzie attack, smells like a muzzie attack, and walks like a muzzie attack... it's a safe bet that it's a muzzie attack.

Again, I'm not saying it wasn't. I'm just saying we should wait until we know for sure before we start pointing a finger at somebody.
Bias is never a good thing when performing criminal investigations.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oerpi wrote:
Muso wrote:

Again, I'm not saying it wasn't. I'm just saying we should wait until we know for sure before we start pointing a finger at somebody.
Bias is never a good thing when performing criminal investigations.

why wait for evidence? start the witch hunt now!
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the guilty one is the witch, why deny it?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From which country did the majority of 11.SEP attackers originate?

Early on, it was not obviously related to RoP.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

Like when Gabby Giffords was shot, the Lame Stream press immediately started speculating if it was a Tea Party member or a *gasp* Rush Limbaugh listener.
Muso
l33t
l33t

pjp wrote:

It was to me. Multiple explosions targeting random civilians. That's RoP 101.

Coexist
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Like when Gabby Giffords was shot, the Lame Stream press immediately started speculating if it was a Tea Party member or a *gasp* Rush Limbaugh listener.
Exactly. I was expecting some kind of Taxed Enough Already link.

Muso wrote:
pjp wrote:

It was to me.
lol

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:

Yeah, because Tea Bagging Right-Wing Extremists can't stand anybody celebrating Patriot's Day, and have it in for randomly selected average Americans. :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: