Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
systemd is, in my opinion, a giant mess with its requirement for a web server. That's just absurd.

I read that sentence. Then I laughed. And then I was like "Wait a minute, was that even a joke?". I can't even tell at this point :?
The Horror.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol: :lol:
Fran
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Willy wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:
systemd is, in my opinion, a giant mess with its requirement for a web server. That's just absurd.

I read that sentence. Then I laughed. And then I was like "Wait a minute, was that even a joke?". I can't even tell at this point :?
The Horror.

Ok, I think I know what he means:
systemd/metadata.xml:
<flag name='http'>Enable embedded HTTP server in journald</flag>

So, not a requirement. I don't have a web server installed.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fran wrote:
Mardok45 wrote:
2. Monolithic crapshoots still manage to run strong due to lots of money and users (Windows, Linux, X11, etc)

Yep. I don't see many people complaining about Linux, and it IS a gigantic blob. As long as it works well, who cares if it was developed as a single package or 10 different ones.

Linux can be swapped out, and because the external interfaces are stable, you don't have to worry about that changing in the future. And while Linux's job scope needs it to be very big if it's to support all the hardware, filing systems, etc. that it does, and does so as modularly as a monolithic system can be, the same isn't excusable for userspace programmes, especially when they're infested with a smattering of parasitical APIs which do the same job as completely standard interfaces, only worse.
erm67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fran wrote:

erm67 wrote:
The only "real" disadvantage is the journal feature of systemd, that replaces syslog, it is cumbersome and not so useful as for example rsyslog

Hm, I don't see any problems with it from the little time I've used it, but I never needed syslogd for anything more than "tail /var/log/messages" :) (something replaced by journalctl -xn40). Cron is more featureful, of course, and you can use it instead; but for my needs systemd is enough, so one less daemon.

Well before systemd I used to send all syslogs over tcp to the nas, to save some space on my laptop, but since systemd is going to store it anyway locally I gave up :-)

I don't remember exactly what prevented me from using the cron included in systemd, I think it something to do with weekly backups ...
aidanjt wrote:
Fran wrote:
Mardok45 wrote:
2. Monolithic crapshoots still manage to run strong due to lots of money and users (Windows, Linux, X11, etc)

Yep. I don't see many people complaining about Linux, and it IS a gigantic blob. As long as it works well, who cares if it was developed as a single package or 10 different ones.

Linux can be swapped out, and because the external interfaces are stable, you don't have to worry about that changing in the future. And while Linux's job scope needs it to be very big if it's to support all the hardware, filing systems, etc. that it does, and does so as modularly as a monolithic system can be, the same isn't excusable for userspace programmes, especially when they're infested with a smattering of parasitical APIs which do the same job as completely standard interfaces, only worse.

Linux is just one unix flavour, the most diffused flavour (macosx) differs significantly from the standard interface, also android (again a lot more diffused than linux) differs significantly, why should the pure unix interfaces be kept in linux?
linux != unix
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:
Linux is just one unix flavour, the most diffused flavour (macosx) differs significantly from the standard interface, also android (again a lot more diffused than linux) differs significantly, why should the pure unix interfaces be kept in linux?
linux != unix

Because those pure UNIX interfaces are the very thing responsible for the extreme software portability the unicies so enjoy?
erm67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
erm67 wrote:
linux != unix

Because those pure UNIX interfaces are the very thing responsible for the extreme software portability the unicies so enjoy?

Does the fact that linux (just like most others do) diverge from pure unix interfaces affects in any way the extreme software portability of unix as a whole?
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:
Does the fact that linux (just like most others do) diverge from pure unix interfaces affects in any way the extreme software portability of unix as a whole?

Given that systemd is Linux-only for that very reason, and Gnome is heading in that direction as well... Yes, absolutely.
erm67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
erm67 wrote:

Given that systemd is Linux-only for that very reason, and Gnome is heading in that direction as well... Yes, absolutely.

But linux is not unix, I rephrase as:

Does the fact that a linux flavour (just like most others do) diverge from pure unix interfaces affect in any way the extreme software portability of unix as a whole?

Why should linux be forced to strict compliance?

Last edited by erm67 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:
aidanjt wrote:
erm67 wrote:

Does the fact that a linux flavour (just like most others do) diverge from pure unix interfaces affects in any way the extreme software portability of unix as a whole?

compliance to what? good taste? good practice?

the standard way to transfer information between applications is text. In unices. And linux. Which made piping so easy and powerful.

Until systemd shat all over the place.

I let you figure out why text is so much better than some binary crap.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
erm67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
erm67 wrote:
aidanjt wrote:
erm67 wrote:

Does the fact that a linux flavour (just like most others do) diverge from pure unix interfaces affects in any way the extreme software portability of unix as a whole?

the standard way to transfer information between applications is text. In unices. And linux. Which made piping so easy and powerful.

systemd did not introduce dbus, nor udev, nor cgroups, nor autofs, nor devtmpfs, nor debugfs, nor configfs and it communicates with all those linux specific interfaces with pipes and text. do you pipe something to init scripts? no, but they use pipes just like systemd does.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:
But linux is not unix

That's like saying coca-cola isn't a cola.

erm67 wrote:
I rephrase as:

Does the fact that a linux flavour (just like most others do) diverge from pure unix interfaces affect in any way the extreme software portability of unix as a whole?

I already pointed out two major examples where it is breaking portability horribly. What if some moron decides to make a 'networkkit' 'framework' so we don't have to bother with all these annoying 'platform dependant' sockets APIs (even though only winsock really differs, very slightly), and then makes it hard depend on a Linux feature, then what the fuck was the point in depending on the piece of shit in the first place? It makes NO sense whatsoever.

erm67 wrote:

Because Linux isn't the only UNIX clone out there. And there is exactly zero advantage of being a divisive cunt to other unicies.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
erm67 wrote:
aidanjt wrote:
erm67 wrote:

systemd did not introduce dbus, nor udev, nor cgroups, nor autofs, nor devtmpfs, nor debugfs, nor configfs and it communicates with all those linux specific interfaces with pipes and text. do you pipe something to init scripts? no, but they use pipes just like systemd does.

please read systemd's journal with cat. Or less. Or tail. Please pipe it (easily) through sed. Do you see a pattern?
devtmpfs is not a way to share information. It is just a devfs clone... udev uses a text based source of information (the files in /sys) to react to certain changes. And dbus integration in systemd is just idiotic. I am sorry.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
please read systemd's journal with cat. Or less. Or tail. Please pipe it (easily) through sed. Do you see a pattern?

Why are you bikeshedding such a minor point? If you want a log from a certain date or service, use something like this:

Code:

journald --no-pager --since=today -u apache.service | sed 'my/uber/regex' | less
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardok45 wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

Why are you bikeshedding such a minor point? If you want a log from a certain date or service, use something like this:

Code:

journald --no-pager --since=today -u apache.service | sed 'my/uber/regex' | less

which is great - as long as systemd and journald is running/working. But what do you do with a hard crashed system?

erm67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
Mardok45 wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

Code:

which is great - as long as systemd and journald is running/working. But what do you do with a hard crashed system?

systemd is init, process number 1, so no process number 1 == system is not running.

So your question is 'how do I read logs from the disk of an offline system' or using a rescue disk?

journalctl
-D --directory=PATH Show journal files from directory
--root=ROOT Operate on catalog files underneath the root ROOT
--interval=TIME Time interval for changing the FSS sealing key
--verify-key=KEY Specify FSS verification key

If you really need /var/log/messages you can run a second logging daemon and disable persistent logging, i.e. use a small circular buffer for systemd and save a regular log. It always results in a bit of hd waste but not that much.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: First Distro casualty of Systemd? Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
http://www.linuxadvocates.com/2013/04/developer-dissatisfaction-looms-with.html

Quote:
Fuduntu Founder +Andrew Wyatt returned fire with this volley:

ConsoleKit + UDev + Syslog + DBus + Polkit + Sysinit + this + that.

The first error was to integrate polkit which is nothing more than a screwware.tm. Hopefully, it is a whole world outside of RedHat and Gnome. :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: