Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
Who's on the roster of people who actually lived in the U.K. during her term?

Raises hand - penultimate free milk generation *

* Was the milk monitor at school. The teacher always took delight in sticking the tray on a shelf about
6ft high, then ordering me to distribute.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
if you were to insist that other people are required to have direct, personal experience of anything they want to talk about

It's relevant in establishing a base line as to whether you have any experience or are simply regurgitating
propaganda. Were you even alive during the 80's ?
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't seem to be explaining myself very well. Let's see if you understand this: go forth and multiply.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
I don't seem to be explaining myself very well. Let's see if you understand this: go forth and multiply.

So you're prepubescent then.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting lost in the sudden switch to allusions. It was much more clear when someone was calling someone else a moron.

I still think, and firmly believe, that this is one of those things where you had to be there to fully appreciate it. The same goes for any opinions on what it was like, they may be formed but they are not going to have much validity. I don't begrudge anyone having those opinions as long as they don't begrudge me telling them their opinion isn't worth a damn.

I won't call anyone a moron though, since that is subjective. One man's moron is another man's vote for president or prime minister.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
I was. At school as well. Also single parent family on thatcher interpretation of welfare...
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
mcgruff wrote:
if you were to insist that other people are required to have direct, personal experience of anything they want to talk about

It's relevant in establishing a base line as to whether you have any experience or are simply regurgitating
propaganda. Were you even alive during the 80's ?

I guess non of us where living under hitler or under stalin, but that is not relevant? I think everyone talked a lot about hitler and stalin, why is this not regurgitating propaganda? even if you did live under thatcher or somebody else doesn't mean you know anything. Like I said before there were many people that had a good life under her, maybe an outsider can judge even better because he is not that subjective..

Quote:
Yeah everyone else is so polite apart from me. They live for the free discussion of ideas and love to encounter different world-views to their own. They never say anything mean or stupid and they never whine hypocritically when they're pulled up about something which of course they never said.

++

especially when it comes to Obama, then everyone that has a different opinion is just a propaganda victim, but everyone who knows that Obama is evil and a liar has heard gods eternal truth..
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:

I guess non of us where living under hitler or under stalin, but that is not relevant? I think everyone talked a lot about hitler and stalin, why is this not regurgitating propaganda? even if you did live under thatcher or somebody else doesn't mean you know anything. Like I said before there were many people that had a good life under her, maybe an outsider can judge even better because he is not that subjective..

I don't think that is the issue. It is the dancing to death part that people are objecting to. Criticizing her premiership is fine.
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently one of Thatcher's colleagues commented that the iron lady herself would have been hugely disappointed if her death had not provoked street parties. She never was a consensus politician. Narcissists thrive on abuse just as much they do on praise.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
Apparently one of Thatcher's colleagues commented that the iron lady herself would have been hugely disappointed if her death had not provoked street parties.

:lol:
so I can answer dmitchell's question: this is what I like about her!
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Police officer resigns over Margaret Thatcher tweets

Quote:
In reaction to so-called death parties that greeted the death of Thatcher on Monday, Scott reportedly tweeted: "Marvellous stuff! Margaret Thatcher's death greeted with street parties in Brixton and Glasgow."

He attacked other politicians, allegedly posting: "Goodnight Twitter. The world is a better place today now that c*** is dead. Now for Cameron, May and Osborne."

Sergeant Jeremy Scott quit as the Met prepared to suspend him, a prelude to disciplinary action that was likely to lead to a severe sanction.

Being rude to politicians is a disciplinary offence..?!
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:

Quote:
In reaction to so-called death parties that greeted the death of Thatcher on Monday, Scott reportedly tweeted: "Marvellous stuff! Margaret Thatcher's death greeted with street parties in Brixton and Glasgow."

He attacked other politicians, allegedly posting: "Goodnight Twitter. The world is a better place today now that c*** is dead. Now for Cameron, May and Osborne."

Sergeant Jeremy Scott quit as the Met prepared to suspend him, a prelude to disciplinary action that was likely to lead to a severe sanction.

It is if you are a public servant.
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for freedom of speech.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:

Quote:

I was bugged out since a kid when for example a history teacher said: meh meh in the sovjet system you have lost your job or life when you've said something against the establishment, but we in the free world can say our opinion in public. maybe it's a bit better in the "free world" then in the sovjet union but in the end it's the same: fit into the system, don't think too much and do your job. if you don't want to loose your job, don't criticise the establishment! sadly this is even more true in academic environments...
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
Naib wrote:
you have convinently never answered what this perpetual question

So, if I haven't answered, you are correct but, if I have answered, you're comment above would be wrong? Is that right?

misrepresenting what was stated...
You have not answered does not imply I am correct. It however does bring into question the level of understanding and thus the scope in which your viewpoint is valid.
The Unions are key to early Thatcher (the unions in the 70's and the unions in the early 80's), likewise the responses are key to understanding the actions taken in the late 80's
If you are not aware or choose to not be aware of the circumstances surrounding reactions then the stance built purely on the blinkered empirical view becomes less and less relevant.
IF however you were resident during the Thatcher period and were directly effected by some of her harsher stances then that is different since the response is built upon actual events to cement a stance

It has been shown that you were not resident during the period of Thatcher thus you were not one of those who "suffered" due to some of her policies.
Likewise you have shown zero knowledge around the time of her winning the election and thus do not know the circumstance and thus the ramification *IF* nothing was done.

Essentially your opinion, from the stance you are taking it is worth less than a thimble full of flys cum.

sikpuppy wrote:
I'm getting lost in the sudden switch to allusions. It was much more clear when someone was calling someone else a moron.

I still think, and firmly believe, that this is one of those things where you had to be there to fully appreciate it. The same goes for any opinions on what it was like, they may be formed but they are not going to have much validity. I don't begrudge anyone having those opinions as long as they don't begrudge me telling them their opinion isn't worth a damn.

I won't call anyone a moron though, since that is subjective. One man's moron is another man's vote for president or prime minister.

Partially yes. Her policies from a purely left & right can easily be debated, and will do for years to come. But some reactions to her existence and her death really can only be justified if you suffered otherwise it is a collective 2min hate reaction ...

mcgruff wrote:

Quote:

making an official statement in contradiction to a companies policy is, politician or not.
Wishing someone has a painful death is disgusting
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

making an official statement in contradiction to a companies policy is, politician or not.

what is the met's policy? Although, I can understand police officers not enjoying the privileges that they are supposed to be defending (free speech), is this really a sackable offence?
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Naib wrote:

what is the met's policy? Although, I can understand police officers not enjoying the privileges that they are supposed to be defending (free speech), is this really a sackable offence?
on what some member of staff publicly stating they wish a member of public, whom they serve, suffers? dunno but I can easily find out just like yourself BUT concidering it is standard practice in the UK,US,EU with respect to ethics that such a statement would be against company policy and thus expected some form of disciplinary ... he chose to resign rather than take the disciplinary. Concidering uk law requires verbal -> written -> expulsion with regards to punishment with regards to certain policy violations it is reasonable to assume this isn't his 1st encounter with the darker side of HR
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
juniper wrote:
Naib wrote:

on what some member of staff publicly stating they wish a member of public, whom they serve, suffers? dunno but I can easily find out just like yourself BUT concidering it is standard practice in the UK,US,EU with respect to ethics that such a statement would be against company policy and thus expected some form of disciplinary ... he chose to resign rather than take the disciplinary. Concidering uk law requires verbal -> written -> expulsion with regards to punishment with regards to certain policy violations it is reasonable to assume this isn't his 1st encounter with the darker side of HR

but she's not a "member of the public". She is a political figure.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Naib wrote:
juniper wrote:
Naib wrote:

but she's not a "member of the public". She is a political figure.
does that make her any less of a member of public?
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:

Raises hand - penultimate free milk generation *

* Was the milk monitor at school. The teacher always took delight in sticking the tray on a shelf about
6ft high, then ordering me to distribute.

Lucky you... we had our milk taken :)
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
mcgruff wrote:
Naib wrote:
you have convinently never answered what this perpetual question

So, if I haven't answered, you are correct but, if I have answered, you're comment above would be wrong? Is that right?

misrepresenting what was stated...
You have not answered does not imply I am correct. It however does bring into question the level of understanding and thus the scope in which your viewpoint is valid.

I mean that you claimed I didn't respond to some kind of question about the unions. If that is true, you are correct. However, if I did in fact respond, you are talking out your ass again. (Hint: I did respond and you are talking out your ass. Again. How do you seriously expect to get away with that shit?)

The definition of stupidity is to keep doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome. For starters, you don't know if I was around at the time of Thatcher or not because I didn't say. I have said that I'm half-Scottish, and I've mentioned before that I have lived in Glasgow for a period. Going solely by what you know, there's actually a very good chance that I do have direct experience of communities which suffered under Thatcher, or that I might even be a member of some of them. Not too smart, is it? I have my reasons for not giving out personal information and you'll just have to respect that.

It's doubly asinine in that, at a stroke, you have just destroyed over 99% of all human knowledge because miscellaneous experts and professors didn't happen to be there to see the Irish potato famine, the Siberian traps in full flow, or the Big Bang etc etc.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
mcgruff wrote:

So you're prepubescent then.

No, he only behaves like one. :lol:
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to treat people fairly.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
Old School wrote:
The yapping little puppy is ignoring us. :lol:

That might be best. However, we were not talking about unions, like you claim. We were talking about the revellers at some street parties.

Hey, you little Pomeranian. Go hump John-Boy's leg. :P
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll have to buy me dinner first.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: